NFL 2016 Offseason Thread - Fins' Quest to Defend Their Crown

moontayle

Golden Squire
@Moon. My point is thatbecausethe defense is going to struggle putting NFL starter caliber talent on the field, drafting someone who will not even practice this year is a complete waste. If the Elliot pick signaled that the Cowboys are drafting for the now, the 2nd round pick was a complete failure in that strategy. It just goes to show that Jerry has no strategy when it comes to building a team and has no idea outside of "what gets me the most Sports Center mentions." It's why this team has, since Jimmy left, been an overall mediocre team with less playoff wins than this franchise has Super Bowl trophies.
Genjiro said it. You go FA for immediate need, you draft for long-term. First round picks tend to be both so Elliot happens to be able to plug into the Dallas run scheme and keep that spot warm for ~5 years. Anyone past the first round who fits both of those qualifications is a luxury, so it tends to be more about what they'll be able to do 1-2 years down the road. If you're drafting in the 2nd round or later for need your team either didn't have a 1st round pick or they're just bad.

Let's also clear up the misconception that you can't be in a "win now" mode and also keep an eye on the future. If the front office isn't shit, a team will be able to accommodate for both during the FA and draft.

Also, lol at "NFL starter caliber". Every team has a mediocre, journeyman type on their starting squad, it's impossible for all 11 guys to be superstars. If you get 3-4 guys who are really good, generally speaking it's enough to help elevate the rest of the squad up a bit. Dallas has those 3-4 players and McClain was not one of them. It's also extremely difficult for a rookie to make a significant impact in their first year. If they do, then chances are the rest of the team was shit to begin with.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Once again it has become a Cowboys thread.

Turrible.
We should touch a little more on how fucked the Colts are going forward, from Luck getting all that money to the rest of the division getting better.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
We should touch a little more on how fucked the Colts are going forward, from Luck getting all that moneyto the rest of the division FINALLY getting better.
This is the primary cause. That division has been awful for a good while.

Back to the Boys, while the season isn't going to be determined by a MLB... having an 85 yr old QB, an even worse defense, and just being the Cowboys probably means you are back to 8-8 and watching the playoffs.

Axlrose

<Gold Donor>
A bit off-topic, but last night I went to see Guns N' Roses at Soldier Field (and will see them again Sunday night). Seeing all the Bears' greats of the past noted on the walls of the concourse, a wall length display for George Halas, numerous other reminders of being in the Bears stadium, walking onto the field itself to have front row in the pit section, ending the concert with some stadium fireworks going off: "IS IT FOOTBALL SEASON YET?" *shakes needing a fix...

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Keep in mind that the alternative to betting the farm on Luck is to let him be a free agent. I don't think any GM would consider that a reasonable thing to do. I wonder what it would have been if he didn't have a bad season last year.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nothing but Cowboys documentaries on NFL Network all day. Fuck yeah America's team.

Merrith

Keep in mind that the alternative to betting the farm on Luck is to let him be a free agent. I don't think any GM would consider that a reasonable thing to do. I wonder what it would have been if he didn't have a bad season last year.
No chance they could let him walk. Still think it's a bigger issue they wasted his cheap years when that division was so weak they could potentially get a playoff bye and only need to win a couple playoff games to get to the Super Bowl. They gambled a little on Gore and Andre Johnson and mostly lost that bet (Gore didn't have a bad year overall, but definitely wasn't "the answer").

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Ryan was a fantastic defensive coach. Definitely hated him when he was in Philly, and I'm not sure he was a great head coach, but he knew how to coach the D.
Buddy Ryan was the biggest piece of shit ever to coach in the NFL. Even Bill Bellicheat is nowhere near his league. Good riddance. Someone go spit on his grave for me and I'll pozload ya.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Trying to run up the score vs the cowboys in 87 by faking a kneel down is pretty awesome. Trying to get into fist fights with other coaches on the side line maybe not the way to go.

Merrith

Buddy Ryan was the biggest piece of shit ever to coach in the NFL. Even Bill Bellicheat is nowhere near his league. Good riddance. Someone go spit on his grave for me and I'll pozload ya.
This was exactly what he was going for.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Don't pretend he was some sort of genius. He caught lightning in a bottle with the bears and spent the rest of his life milking that single success.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Don't pretend he was some sort of genius. He caught lightning in a bottle with the bears and spent the rest of his life milking that single success.
He used the Cowboys like toilet paper and wiped his ass with them!