NFL 2016 Offseason Thread - Fins' Quest to Defend Their Crown

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Lol could you imagine Cousins making $20m. That would truly highlight how in today's NFL even mediocre QBs can just rake in cash hand over fist.
The more ridiculous notion is that a QB with his resume is pretty much expected to have a $20m/year contract, likely for 5 years.

I'm pretty sure he gets the franchise tag and a long term deal next year if he continues to play well.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The more ridiculous notion is that a QB with his resume is pretty much expected to have a $20m/year contract, likely for 5 years.

I'm pretty sure he gets the franchise tag and a long term deal next year if he continues to play well.
That's the real point, the fact that if you can even sniff a guy who COULD be in the top half of the starters in the league you pretty much have to throw money at him to have any real shot.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Well if they use the tag it'll definitely be $20 million, at least for a year. I wonder if Cousins asked for something stupidly high, and the team is trying to play hardball. Either way, someone is being stupid.
Just normal business. The player is always going to ask for more than they're worth and the team is always going to offer less. It's in both of their best interests to avoid franchising him.

Cousins doesn't want to risk injury or turning back into the real Cousins just like the Redskins don't want to eat the full $19.6 mil cap hit and then be forced to pay him $24 mil the following year.

Merrith

Just normal business. The player is always going to ask for more than they're worth and the team is always going to offer less. It's in both of their best interests to avoid franchising him.

Cousins doesn't want to risk injury or turning back into the real Cousins just like the Redskins don't want to eat the full $19.6 mil cap hit and then be forced to pay him $24 mil the following year.
I'm not convinced it's in our best interest to avoid franchising him...unless we can get him signed for $16m a year or less. I wouldn't mind him proving he can do it for another year, we're talking about a guy who was a turnover machine prior to this year, and didn't do much to put that to rest over the first 6 games. His last 10 games were outstanding though.

You're right though that the team might have to really pony up some money if he has another great year and we manage to get back to the playoffs and do anything there.

$24m though would be nuts...not unless we win the SB.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Maybe his agent believes they can get more on the open market somewhere than from the Snyderskins. There's always QB hungry teams out there, he's really better off testing the market and in doing so he gets to call the team on their bluff to see if they are willing to do something.

Playing under the tag would be a gamble for either side, but for Cousins at least if he never plays his way into a big payday he'll get his $20m now from tagging.

The skins could waste $20m, waste even more later on a contract or risk losing a decent playcaller and be fucked at QB. Even if he's not worth a good contract or the tag money he's shown he can be serviceable, and what other options do they expect to have? He's kinda got the upper hand at the moment I would think.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Cause $20m is a lot of money! You expect them to spend that kind of cash directly on the football team??? Lol.

I guess they still have time to tag him though.
I was surprised that he ranks fifth in the NFL, in terms of passer rating for 2015. Nevertheless, $20 million is a lot for the amount of games he's played.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Cousins to Dallas to backup Romo. RGKnee leads redskins to a #1 draft pick. At least it would have been a #1 draft pick if Snyder hadn't traded it away for a 35 year old right guard.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Cousins knows he has the Skins by the balls. Rg3 is going to be out and drafting at 21 they *might* get Connor Cook but even that's unlikely. Guy is the sloppy seconds of this QB class anyway

What else are you going to do but pay him? Skins are fucked and have zero leverage unless they want to start over again from ground zero with their QB who might not ever be as good as Cousins anyways.

If you feel you can win a SB with the guy its an easy choice, but this is a power play unless they franchise him and he gets paid anyway

Zzen

Potato del Grande
Darren Rovell_sl said:
Roger Goodell has earned $180.5 million in compensation during his first nine years of commissioner through 2014
e8c2476bcef3abae477133d5ae0b8f87.gif

Merrith

Cousins knows he has the Skins by the balls. Rg3 is going to be out and drafting at 21 they *might* get Connor Cook but even that's unlikely. Guy is the sloppy seconds of this QB class anyway

What else are you going to do but pay him? Skins are fucked and have zero leverage unless they want to start over again from ground zero with their QB who might not ever be as good as Cousins anyways.

If you feel you can win a SB with the guy its an easy choice, but this is a power play unless they franchise him and he gets paid anyway
Well. The team has the franchise tag. But that is their only real leverage. That said, I think Gruden and Cousins want to work with each other (we all know that's what Gruden wants). In the end they will use the tag if they have to, but I'm more hopeful a deal gets worked out that is cheaper.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Well. The team has the franchise tag. But that is their only real leverage. That said, I think Gruden and Cousins want to work with each other (we all know that's what Gruden wants). In the end they will use the tag if they have to, but I'm more hopeful a deal gets worked out that is cheaper.
It really only works out if he plays poorly or gets injured. Otherwise Cousins gets all the leverage next year and Redskins either have to franchise him again at $24 million or get into a bidding war over a young QB.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
ya, I don't see why Cousins would accept anything less than the tag price, buy disability insurance to protect against a serious injury, and go to the market in 2017.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
ya, I don't see why Cousins would accept anything less than the tag price, buy disability insurance to protect against a serious injury, and go to the market in 2017.
At which point, after Romo has broken his collar bone 3 more times, Jerrah goes up against Little Danny in an epic bidding war over a mediocre QB.... I love the NFL.

Merrith

It really only works out if he plays poorly or gets injured. Otherwise Cousins gets all the leverage next year and Redskins either have to franchise him again at $24 million or get into a bidding war over a young QB.
All true, but on some level, there has to still be some worry about him actually being able to be that guy we saw in the final 10 games long term. Hasn't beaten a team with a winning record yet either. Small sample and all that, but there are reasons to be made for why it wouldn't be smart to hand him a multi year deal worth $18M+ a year with a load of guaranteed money.

On the flip side, Cousins has to really believe he is that guy and hope he doesn't get hurt if he just decides to play the year under the tag.

Zzen

Potato del Grande
Typo, my bad. Meant OJ Mayo SHOULD BE retiring. Dude's FG% is at Kobe Bryant levels.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Maybe he would go to someone like the Rams and be an instant playoff team with Gurley.