NFL 2016 Offseason Thread - Fins' Quest to Defend Their Crown

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Why's it matter how much he makes? Guy gets like 31 individual paychecks every week from each owner.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
People hate Goodell is the only reason. People act like he's being paid with tax money or something

opiate82

Bronze Squire
All of these early retirements make me wonder about the long term viability of the NFL in its current form.

Seems like they are either going to have to continue to nerf the game in favor of safety measures to attract/retain the top athletes, or the product on the field will become more and more diluted as the top athletes choose other sports and/or to not play football.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
All of these early retirements make me wonder about the long term viability of the NFL in its current form.

Seems like they are either going to have to continue to nerf the game in favor of safety measures to attract/retain the top athletes, or the product on the field will become more and more diluted as the top athletes choose other sports and/or to not play football.
It'll just mean more turnover for the NFL. I'm not sure it's necessarily a bad thing.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
The average NFL career is only like 3 years anyway. How early are these people retiring?

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Plenty of college kids who will come out every year and turn their brains to mush to replace them.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
The average NFL career is only like 3 years anyway. How early are these people retiring?
stats? Im sure it is right but not accurate when you account for talent to play in the NFL.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
stats? Im sure it is right but not accurate when you account for talent to play in the NFL.
Eh? The average as I recall is around 3.3 years, but it's a lot higher average for 1st round picks, or guys who go to at least one Pro Bowl in their careers. Think people just forget how many guys are fringe practice team players that might get a shot for a year or two at most.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
When you add in all the late round picks who don't get a second contract, the average goes down to that 3-5 year range.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Can't find a link directly from the NFL or NFLPA, but these articles reference them.

The NFL's Official Spin On Average Career Length Is A Joke - Business Insider
Average NFL career length | Statistic

According to the NFL .. it's 3.2 years for all players,
6.0 years for a player who makes a club's opening-day roster (active/inactive roster and/or injured reserve) in his rookie season.
7.1 years for a player with at least three pension-credited seasons* (*a player receives a pension credit for each season in which he spends at least three games on an active/inactive roster and/or injured reserve).
9.3 years for a first-round draft pick.
11.7 years for a player who is selected for or plays in at least one Pro Bowl.

So again I ask, how early are these people retiring considering these stats? I don't recognize most of the names so they might be pro bowlers for all I know.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
The problem with looking at career-length averages is they include players who are out the game involuntarily. My concern is more of the players who are voluntarily leaving the game. Players under the age of 30 choosing to retire is on a steep increasing trend with just 5 such retirements happening in 2011 in contrast with 19 in 2015. Many of these early retirements also include the messages of how brutal the game is on their bodies, and yes include some very well known "superstars."

Now this could just be a symptom of the fact that there is a lot more money in the NFL currently so it is easier from a financial standpoint for a NFL player to retire early. However, each one of these early retirements includes a damning message about health being the #1 reason for walking away. If you have both talented players leaving the game early plus you have parents/kids/young adults choosing to not play (or let their kids play) football because of all the negative publicity about concussions/injuries/etc. you are losing athletic talent at both ends of the spectrum and you'd have to think that eventually will lead to a diluted product on the field.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
The problem with looking at career-length averages is they include players who are out the game involuntarily. My concern is more of the players who are voluntarily leaving the game. Players under the age of 30 choosing to retire is on a steep increasing trend with just 5 such retirements happening in 2011 in contrast with 19 in 2015. Many of these early retirements also include the messages of how brutal the game is on their bodies, and yes include some very well known "superstars."

Now this could just be a symptom of the fact that there is a lot more money in the NFL currently so it is easier from a financial standpoint for a NFL player to retire early. However, each one of these early retirements includes a damning message about health being the #1 reason for walking away. If you have both talented players leaving the game early plus you have parents/kids/young adults choosing to not play (or let their kids play) football because of all the negative publicity about concussions/injuries/etc. you are losing athletic talent at both ends of the spectrum and you'd have to think that eventually will lead to a diluted product on the field.
Diluted product? The talent level is all relative. Even if the talent levels shift down a few notches, they'll still be playing against other, shittier players.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Diluted product? The talent level is all relative. Even if the talent levels shift down a few notches, they'll still be playing against other, shittier players.
I disagree. Look at MLS compared to something like Premier League, minor league baseball vs MLB, hell even NFL vs CFL. All inferior products compared to their talent-rich equivalents.

Sure there would still be parity in the league, but I'm sorry but a second-tier QB is not going to look the same as an Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady just because the defense on the other side has less talent. We don't have to look any further than to the preseason to know that.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
So you are saying I should be happy with a shitty product? How does that work

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I think we're still quite a few years out from this being an actual problem.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I don't think the talent level will dilute much. I think there are a ton of players out there that never get a chance for one reason or another. Especially Quarterbacks....especially Alabama quarterbacks.