NFL 2016 Offseason Thread - Fins' Quest to Defend Their Crown

Zzen

Potato del Grande
The only thing you can do with the NFL is enjoy it while it lasts. You can't fix the sport. In 50 years it will be like horse racing or boxing is today. It'll be impossible for young people to understand how it was once the most dominant cultural force in sports.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
More I think about it amongst all of the retirements Heath Miller's might be the worst. And I am a Bengals fan.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Saw an article that talked about how the Seahawks had changed the way they tackle and taught tackling. Basically, target the center of gravity, lead with your shoulder, and wrap your arms. I mean, basic stuff when you think about it. Players were saying they had to learn how to do that because no one ever taught them before. Last few years Seattle has been pretty good at defensive YAC so that's a good side benefit.

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
Saw an article that talked about how the Seahawks had changed the way they tackle and taught tackling. Basically, target the center of gravity, lead with your shoulder, and wrap your arms. I mean, basic stuff when you think about it. Players were saying they had to learn how to do that because no one ever taught them before. Last few years Seattle has been pretty good at defensive YAC so that's a good side benefit.
Related:

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not really NFL related, but I guess the Erin Andrews jury selection is finally starting. Jesus, talk about a slow process. Apparently it took place in 2008.

I really only wanted to bring this up because she's got some nice titties.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Not really NFL related, but I guess the Erin Andrews jury selection is finally starting. Jesus, talk about a slow process. Apparently it took place in 2008.

Still?

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Well, yeah, you would have a more Rugby style game. I think you can get the same result with rules changes though.

You can probably stop a lot of the lower level concussions with technology.

http://www.bloomberg.com/features/20...demo_final.mp4

The Vicis helmet is a good example.
I just now finally got around to reading about that helmet. It is really fascinating the approach they took on it. I hope it passes all the tests and ends up helping out with the concussion issues.

radditsu

I just now finally got around to reading about that helmet. It is really fascinating the approach they took on it. I hope it passes all the tests and ends up helping out with the concussion issues.
I have never understood why the NFL is so opposed to technology. Line cameras and sensors , lighter/stronger pads, better helmets... All of these things have been around for some time but they will not get them in place to protect players.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Take away their helmets and pads. I doubt players will lead with their head or shoulders anymore.
Hell, just remove the facemasks. Nothing wrong with keeping the rest of the armor in place.

Blows my mind. We were taught to lead with the facemask. Sink your ass so your facemask is facing forward, then shrug your shoulders so the helmet gets locked into the shoulderpads and put the facemask on the ball. A lot of times it wound up being like a shoulder tackle, but if the ball was on your side of the runner it didn't. As long as you didn't lead with the top of the head you were OK. You could tell who was tackling properly by looking at their helmet. The good tacklers had torn up facemasks, the shitty ones had gouges on top of the helmet.

I'm gunna watch that video when I get time later. The minute I just watched looks like it's a much better way.

radditsu

Hell, just remove the facemasks. Nothing wrong with keeping the rest of the armor in place.

Blows my mind. We were taught to lead with the facemask. Sink your ass so your facemask is facing forward, then shrug your shoulders so the helmet gets locked into the shoulderpads and put the facemask on the ball. A lot of times it wound up being like a shoulder tackle, but if the ball was on your side of the runner it didn't. As long as you didn't lead with the top of the head you were OK. You could tell who was tackling properly by looking at their helmet. The good tacklers had torn up facemasks, the shitty ones had gouges on top of the helmet.

I'm gunna watch that video when I get time later. The minute I just watched looks like it's a much better way.
I think they were trying tot each us to keep our head up. The issues in the last few decades were neck injuries so they were trying to keep us from being a fucking spinal, not a mush brain. I was taught to hammer through with the arms to pop out a ball. Head up in the pads following through with the arms and lift a motherfucker and dump him on the ground with the legs.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>

Yes, still has nice titties.
rrr_img_127199.jpg

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Washington Redskins president all but confirmed RG3 getting cut. Not exactly groundbreaking news but still curious to see who takes a flyer on him.

Redskins president says Robert Griffin III won't be on team next year - Business Insider

When asked whether he sees Griffin on the Redskins next year, Allen said quickly, "Well, no."

He added, "I see Robert getting an opportunity with another team. I think we've heard from some teams that are interested, and I think he's going to have a choice of a couple teams that will let him excel in the future."