NFL 2016 Offseason Thread - Fins' Quest to Defend Their Crown

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I've always heard that too and it makes sense. There are 32 pro teams and hundreds of college teams. The pro coaches and funding and support staff is way better etc. etc.... All that said, I would LOVE to watch an annual game of worst NFL team play the NCAA champs each year. If they could actually play for something meaningful, as if respect isn't enough, it would be fucking awesome. You just KNOW at some point the college team SOME year would get really close or somehow win it and holy shit that would be as entertaining or more than the Superbowl. I mean shit, one of the reasons we love football is to see those miracle games where the underdog somehow pulls it off.
Don't see it happening if the pro team is actually trying. Even the 2001 Hurricanes team which produced a lot of NFL caliber players wouldn't have stood a chance at that stage of their careers. All these future pro-bowlers would still get their asses handed to them if they played an NFL team before they've even had their first rookie minicamp

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Its pretty unlikely.

Little known fact: They used to have the college all-star game where the SB champs would play the college kids...ended in 1976 when the Steelers beat them in a weather stopped game. In 1975 the Steelers only won 21-14. The 1972 perfect Dolphins almost lost....i think the final record was something like 9-31 in favor of the pros.

Mean Joe Greene said they played hard due to not wanting to be shamed...but sadly this would never happen now.

Cathan

Silver Knight of the Realm
Why wouldn't they do it now though? I'd watch the game at least for a few years if the pros were shitstomping the college teams the first few years and then after that I'd at least try to keep score updates to see if it was worth watching after the half.

Worst case scenario the college teams come in with a game plan to play absolutely balls out, fake punts/field goals, going for it on 4th down all over the field, lots of deep passes, trick and gimmick plays... Blitzes all to hell from every angle. I'd have the defense doing everything possible to create turnovers. Tackle hell... just do anything and everything to knock the ball loose on every play.

That would be much more fun to watch than the pro bowl.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They used to pack 80,000 for those games....it was insanely popular. Injury risks have killed those chances of it ever happening again...it would be some gay dumbed down half speed shit like we see in the pro bowl now. They used to play full tilt in the pro bowls too. QQ

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The 2001 Miami hurricanes had 38 players on the roster who would get drafted, and 46 who would play in the league. I get your point, but no.
Oh good lord. Congratulations on a successful "well actually". MOST good college teams have 5-10 NFL quality players, with at least one exception 15 years ago.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Pats signed Receiver hogan from the bills, looks to be a decent upgrade at wideout vs all the other Patriots receivers not named amendola or edelman. now to see if he can find the rapport and trust of Brady.

Profundis

Silver Knight of the Realm
Raji's situation looking more like a hiatus.

Multiple Packers sources told ESPN that they believe Raji, 29, will simply take a one-year break and that Monday's decision does not constitute a retirement.

Also, Martavis Bryant's suspension is official, and he is apparently deciding not to appeal.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Why wouldn't they do it now though? I'd watch the game at least for a few years if the pros were shitstomping the college teams the first few years and then after that I'd at least try to keep score updates to see if it was worth watching after the half.

Worst case scenario the college teams come in with a game plan to play absolutely balls out, fake punts/field goals, going for it on 4th down all over the field, lots of deep passes, trick and gimmick plays... Blitzes all to hell from every angle. I'd have the defense doing everything possible to create turnovers. Tackle hell... just do anything and everything to knock the ball loose on every play.

That would be much more fun to watch than the pro bowl.
The pros weren't really shit stomping the college kids though. The college all stars won 9 out of 42 games and tied twice. There were only a couple years where the pros ran up the score. Heck these scores make it look almost as competitive as the super bowls.

Chicago College All-Star Game - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I agree that I'd rather see that than the pro bowl too. It might be more fun to see the worst team in the league playing though instead of the SB champs. They could consider it a chance to tryout their potential #1 picks.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wow rats sign weddle to way more tyan he is worth. Steelers apparently looked at 3m/yr for him then laughed when they found out how much a 31 yr old safety on his last legs wanted. Ozzie you craycray.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Weddle to Ravens. All aboard the Ramsey at #4 pick train, WOO WOO!

B.J. Raji set to retire. No link yet, I'm sure the story is being written.
Don't be surprised if the Chargers take Ramsey.

Also the Ravens over paid in my opinion. He was not good last year. It could be due to his problem with the team last year though.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Sadly even overpaying, and his age/decreased skills, he's still an upgrade for them.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I wanted to add Weddle was a huge asset to the Chargers and even though he basically had to go after how the team management treated him he will be missed on the field. I hope he's still got gas in the tank and plays well for the Ravens.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Don't be surprised if the Chargers take Ramsey.
Not a big deal since Bosa would be a much better pick for them anyways.

Cowboys DBs should be decent with Scandrick back and Jones being able to stay at safety. Even though Carr and Claiborne haven't lived up to expectations, they're still decent DBs who haven't had the luxury of anything resembling a pass rush in the last 3 years

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Chargers need a lot of help so as long as it's not a fucking RB I'm not going to complain about who ever they draft.