NFL 2016 Offseason Thread - Fins' Quest to Defend Their Crown

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I guess RG3 was only looking to be a starter, and the Browns were the only team willing to do that. So basically, RG3 flushed his own career down the toilet.

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
I wonder if the nfl makes the browns at redskins an early season national televised game to milk whatever starpower/drama is left.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'd almost guarantee it. Probably MNF since it's not quite good enough for an SNF game. First 3 weeks. It also might be one of the first TNF games.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I still don't think the Browns trade down unless someone offers them an absolute haul to move up into their spot. But who knows, maybe they're willing to roll with RG3 as starter for a couple of years if they don't like any of the QB's at #2 spot.
Eh...

The Browns need a team full of players now, look at all they lost in FA in addition to their needs. But most importantly, do you honestly think the Browns *wont* be drafting in the top 1-2 picks over the next few years to grab a QB? That team is in a much worse situation than the Raiders were, who have nailed all their recent drafts, and still need a couple more to be a playoff team. Browns will be in the mix to draft QBs for years, so why not bring in a bunch of picks and kick the tires. Not like Wentz or Goff would even make them competitive for many years.

And I think a buch of teams will be willing to give up a lot. Before today, it was assumed the Browns were taking 1 of the 2 franchise QBs. Mayock just said he thinks Wentz/Goff are better than Mariota/Winston, who look to be pretty decent Qbs.

So two things happened to other teams who need a franchise QB *if* we assume the Browns dont go QB. 1) The Titans lose a lot of leverage with this RG3 signing because everyone thought the Browns are taking 1/2 of the QBs, and if Tennessee is asking too much you have another team to deal with now for a QB. There's a lot of reason to think a QB goes at 3 or 4 as well to SD or Dallas, both of those guys are old now...its risky to hope they dont go QB. 2) Teams who might not have thought they could get to the top of the draft can now do so...... so there's a good chance other teams are already now on the phones testing the waters with both Tennessee and Cleveland now to move up. This signing makes the Browns 2nd overall pick MUCh more valuable. I honestly think the Rams are going to give the farm to get to 1 or 2 and you never know what teams like Buffalo or the Jets might do (if Fitz goes elsewhere) to get a QB.

So hypothetically, let's say the Titans trade out of 1. The Browns can ask for a fucking gold mine to move into 2 for the other blue chip QB, since it seems there is now a clear consensus that Wentz/Goff in that order are on another level ahead of Lynch Cook etc. It was a very smart move for Cleveland, as even if they want a QB, they might be able to get such an offer that they cant refuse it to help their rebuild even faster.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Titans aren't trading out of #1 and they'll be taking Tunsil anyway, not a QB, so it doesn't really change much in terms of Cleveland's bargaining position. What it does do is fuck the top of the board the rest of the way down if they are going to skip Goff and go with RG3 as a starter, since that's one more top five non-QB pick that will be gone before teams like mine get to pick. =/

Or they might trade back, but that seems too smart. They'll probably take Elliott...

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think the Raiders could be a playoff team this year Genj, although maybe I misread that as you saying you think they still need another good draft or two. Also that's crazy have a link to Mayock saying Wentz/Goff are going to be better than Winston/Mariota? Hadn't heard that at all and as recently as a few months ago most people were saying this wasn't the year to get a QB at the top of the draft. Didn't know their stock had risen so much. Your point about them likely drafting early and having more chances to draft a QB is a good one, but if Wentz/Goff are REALLY going to be better than last year's duo, I don't think they can afford to pass up on either. Drafting one of them while having a former rookie of the year would be pretty good competition and an insurance factor to whoever they took at #2 needing a little time.

If they are looking to actually trade back though, I could see either Philly or the Rams being possible partners. Hell what if the Niners offer their 1st (#7) and Kaepernick along with another pick or two to move up to #2? Opens up a shitload of possibilities at the top of the draft now, should be fun to watch. Cleveland being open to trading down hurts the position of other teams that might have considered trading down, like Dallas or the Ravens.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Also the irony of RG3 to make his path to starting for the Browns easier is probably hoping that the Rams give up a ton of picks to trade up into the #2 spot to pick a QB.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Titans aren't trading out of #1 and they'll be taking Tunsil anyway, not a QB, so it doesn't really change much in terms of Cleveland's bargaining position. What it does do is fuck the top of the board the rest of the way down if they are going to skip Goff and go with RG3 as a starter, since that's one more top five non-QB pick that will be gone before teams like mine get to pick. =/

Or they might trade back, but that seems too smart. They'll probably take Elliott...
Well I think the Titans would absolutely trade out if they get a good offer, and teams are more desperate than ever for QBs. Titans defense is horrid, they need a lot of picks on that team to even be competitive. Luckily for them they're in the worst division in football. I think the Titans would be retarded to turn down another 1st or something to trade back to where the Rams are, more picks trumps everything unless you really really need a francchise QB, and I think more and more teams are seeing that. Plus the rookie pay makes it more attractive to trade up.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
Here is the Unsportsmanlike rule copied from the rule book -

So are you claiming Suh has never been penalized for kicking someone?

Facts not opinions...

Also Suh has gotten an Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty before. Once again, facts not opinions....
I never made any claims, maybe you can quote what confused you. I'll take the time to explain why you're wrong.

Like how I'm taking the time here to tell you Suh did not get flagged on the play with Schaub, but don't let petty little facts get in the way of your opinion.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
I don't think Goff or Wentz are good enough to justify a trade-up in the draft for them. They both aren't as sure of a thing as Mariotta/Winston were last year. In fact, I can see a scenario where one of them falls to mid/late first round (kinda like how Aaron Rodgers dropped)

However, I can see a situation where someone in the 7-12 range trades up to #2 for Ramsey. He's probably the most sure thing in the draft outside of Tunsil, and some are calling him a "generational talent". I can envision someone thinking he is the next coming of Charles Woodson.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think Ramsey is a solid player, but the generational talent thing is way overblown. Ed Reed and Polamalu were that. People thought Eric Berry would be be but he hasnt lived up to that yet, the whole cancer thing gives him a wait-and-see though. But Ramsey? Hes very good but that phrase gets used more and more every year.

Ramsey started for 3 years at FSU and has 3 career ints. That's it.

I think Karl Joseph is superior and will be a better pro, but that's also the homer speaking in me. Shit Joseph had 5 ints in 4 games and was leading the nation before he was lost for the season. If he doesnt get hurt I think he is the best safety hands down, even Mayock had Joseph ranked higher and said were it not for injury he would be top 10.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
I think Ramsey is a solid player, but the generational talent thing is way overblown. Ed Reed and Polamalu were that. People thought Eric Berry would be be but he hasnt lived up to that yet, the whole cancer thing gives him a wait-and-see though. But Ramsey? Hes very good but that phrase gets used more and more every year.
No argument from me - that title is being used more liberally and more frequently. And I can't say if he really is that or not; it feels like scout/team misdirection to me. With that said though, I can see someone trading into the top 5 to get Ramsey -- I just can't see anyone doing that for either QB by comparison

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
I don't think the Chargers are taking a QB.
They aren't and neither is Dallas, but only Dallas has any real talk about them taking a QB at #4. Titans and Chargers aren't taking a QB and if im the Rams I'd rather trade with Dallas because it would be cheaper (15, 43 and 45 in exchange for 4) and if the Browns called the Rams bluff and drafted a QB it would only solidify their decision to move up because Cleveland already removed the BUST from the equation.