NFL 2016 Offseason Thread - Fins' Quest to Defend Their Crown

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Part of the reason the 49ers went 8-8 in his last season was due to all the bullshit drama that was going on behind the scenes. Then there was the constant leaks about the rift between Harbaugh and the front office.

I am sure many of the players still would have retired, and the only one that is coming back is Anthony Davis this next year. I believe if there had not been all that internal drama, Harbaugh would have been able to pull the team back together and been successful the next year. Maybe not winning the West, but probably playoffs still. I think Harbaugh shows how important having a good coach really is in the NFL.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I really doubt rifts between ownership and head coach would have much impact on players.

I also remember a player saying the team couldn't take much more of Harbaugh. He gave the impression that players were losing the desire to play because of him

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Also, don't forget that everybody's favorite example of the 49er's fuck ups, Colin Kaepernick, was undeniably Harbaugh's guy.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I don't disagree with the move personally, it's just that dropping Smith for Kaepernick is one of the more popular decisions to mock the 49ers for on this board so if we're going to declare Harbaugh blameless in the decline of the 49ers we have to keep that in mind.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
In 2014 the Niners defense was decimated by injuries, notably Willis and Bowman and for whatever reason their O-line went from being a top-5 unit to somewhere in the terrible range for no distinguishable reason. It is also when they tried to turn Kaep into a pocket-passer and failed miserably.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Losing Harbaugh was monumentally stupid. I dont care if the players liked him or not.

If liking your boss was part of a job most every boss in America would be gone, boo hoo you get paid millions of dollars. Stfu and do your job. 49ers deserve all the failure they get from being dumb.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Harbaugh had to fuck somebodies wife is all I can think of. The whole break up just doesn't make sense when looking at it other than some petty drama shit.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Harbaugh had to fuck somebodies wife is all I can think of. The whole break up just doesn't make sense when looking at it other than some petty drama shit.
Ego is a powerful motivator, look at Jerry Jones and Jimmy Johnson. Jerrys ego cost Dallas a SB and prevented them from not being the only team to 3pete would have 4peted.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Harbaugh probably had these crazy ass ideas about "fielding a competitive team" which led to wacky fucking nonsense like expecting the team to spend up to the cap. Which is INSANE talk, they can't really make enough money doing that dumb shit, bro!

Niners had the sixth most cap space last year and are currently sitting at the most this year.

NFL 2016 Team Cap Space Tracker | Spotrac

Not hard to put two and two together. They got a stadium, hosted a superbowl and then told the fans to go jump in the fucking bay if they don't like it.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
their O-line went from being a top-5 unit to somewhere in the terrible range for no distinguishable reason.
Davis was hurt/playing hurt for most of the season and the rotating shitshow of Martin, Martin, and Looney just never worked out. It didn't help that Boone held out and then forgot how to play football for the first half+ of the season. Iupati also looked completely confused on most assignments. Really, the only "brightspots" from 2014 were Kilgore and Staley (who also struggled early).

As far as Harbaugh goes, people just see 5-11 and immediately correlate it with his departure. It was obvious in early 2014 that things were on a downward trend and likely would've continued that way even if he had stayed. Harbaugh is too grating of a personality, that's why he belongs in the college ranks, where he can rotate players (and jobs) every 3 or so years. Inevitably, his personality wears on everyone. Boone said that he thought he was clinically insane. He pursued his wife by calling her 9 fucking times until she finally answered. He fought with Stanford writers and leadership all the time, grew up with no friends (gee, I wonder why?), etc. He also has agiganticcase of "little brother" syndrome and I'm sure John kicking his ass in XLVII only made it worse.

The guy is great at getting playersnearthe summit, but his personality isn't very conducive to getting all the way up it or staying there for very long.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Haha, wow, yeah he's just not good enough to get the job done. Good thing they got rid of that loser for some dipshit nobody and then failed ass Chipster. Niners are playingchesshere bros.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Haha, wow, yeah he's just not good enough to get the job done. Good thing they got rid of that loser for some dipshit nobody and then failed ass Chipster. Niners are playingchesshere bros.
Oh, I must've missed the part where I said Ron Jeremy and Chip Kelly were better...oh, that's because I didn't.