NFL 2016 Offseason Thread - Fins' Quest to Defend Their Crown

moontayle

Golden Squire
Hey man, they did good. Personally I don't think they're ever going to get very far with Bridgewater. Averaging 200 yds/g and only getting 14 passing TDs is just not going to cut it in a league where "average" is around 250 yds/g and 20+ passing TDs. So they need to get him some help or Norv Turner needs to pull out some magic fairy dust. Otherwise he's just keeping the spot warm for the next man up.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Redskins fan checking in. Picking #21, interested to see what we target in the draft.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Hey man, they did good. Personally I don't think they're ever going to get very far with Bridgewater. Averaging 200 yds/g and only getting 14 passing TDs is just not going to cut it in a league where "average" is around 250 yds/g and 20+ passing TDs. So they need to get him some help or Norv Turner needs to pull out some magic fairy dust. Otherwise he's just keeping the spot warm for the next man up.
I can understand this perspective from someone watching a play, but I have a couple counter points.

1. He's 23. Certainly there have been 23 year old QBs that have shown more than Teddy has thus far, but there's also about 400 of them that have shown much less. He is poised for that age. He deserves more time to grow.
2. O line. We lost John Sullivan (pro bowl) and Phil Loadholdt before the season started. They were replaced with a rookie who was taken in the 4th round and a journeyman guard. This is the front office's fault for lacking depth there, not Bridgewater's. Injuries are a thing in the NFL I get that, but Teddy played this whole season with a pretty rag tag line in front of him.
3. Receiving targets. Mike Wallance, Kyle Rudolph, Charles Johnson, Jarius Wright, Stephon Diggs, Cordarelle Patterson. Wallace has disappointed since leaving Pitt, Rudolph was a 1st round draft pick if you can believe that, CJ is a practice squad player that caught 9 balls in 11 games this season, Diggs shows potential and Patterson's picture is in the dictionary next to the world bust. This is not an incredibly talented group in comparison to the rest of the league.
4. It was cold as shit on Sunday. A lackluster QB performance during this game doesn't really bother me. I know you're talking in general though.

The TLDR of this is just that it's way too early to give up on a QB that has shown some promise, even acknowledging his limitations so far.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Vikings fan checking in. Fuck that other thread.
I REALLY wish I could be happy that I was right the game was going to be closer than everyone was predicting, but fuck that loss hurt. It wasn't quite '98 levels of hurt, but it's up there...definitely the worst I've felt outside of an NFC Championship game. Between the Raptors, Cubs, Hawkeyes, and Vikings playoff/championship performances this year...this was the cherry on top of a sundae of heartbreak.

moontayle

Golden Squire
The TLDR of this is just that it's way too early to give up on a QB that has shown some promise, even acknowledging his limitations so far.
I'm not saying give up on him, not at all. And I did say they needed to get him some help. But if he doesn't progress next year then you have to question whether or not he ever will. Especially since AP isn't getting any younger.

Of course, if the defense still does well, if he can get to league average even, then you're probably set. I am reminded that Aikman never really had world beater numbers and benefited from Smith and a powerful defense.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I REALLY wish I could be happy that I was right the game was going to be closer than everyone was predicting, but fuck that loss hurt. It wasn't quite '98 levels of hurt, but it's up there...definitely the worst I've felt outside of an NFC Championship game. Between the Raptors, Cubs, Hawkeyes, and Vikings playoff/championship performances this year...this was the cherry on top of a sundae of heartbreak.
Does the Farve pick in the NFC Title game come close at all?

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Does the Farve pick in the NFC Title game come close at all?
Probably a bit worse than this one simply because it was on a bigger stage...but compared to '98 and 2000? Nah...I watched Favre all those years in Green Bay, so I was expecting it. If you look at his stats and the tape from that season, he was really good the first half, then all the MVP talk started going to his head and he stopped managing games and started doing his old gunslinger stuff again. It still hurt watching my team lose, but I was waiting for the other shoe to drop that whole playoff run.

'98 was the worst for me...we had an amazing year and our field goal kicker hadn't missed a single kick all season. Not sure if we would have beat the Broncos, but we should have been in the Super Bowl that year. 2000 was a total different hurt. Watching your team totally give up about 5 minutes into the game and getting blown out 41-0 was crushing.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
The Vikings are also a run-heavy offense. They'd rather run the ball into the end zone than throw it. Stats don't tell the whole story such as Bridgewater being the most pressured QB in the league (due to a shit o-line). Look what happened to Brady in the season. The games he was pressured around the same % Bridgewater was were games he almost lost or did lose, and that's from a HOF QB. He doesn't have the deep ball finese yet, that's something you learn in games but he's not able to due to o-line or lack of WR weapons. I'd love to see the amount of dropped balls the Vikings receivers have had, I bet it would be pretty large.

He has lots to learn, but he's basically being thrown to the wolves. Not idea how he didn't get injured with how many times he was sacked. We'll hopefully see shortly if he turns out to be great or mediocre. Just needs to have the team around him to allow him to show what he can do.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I'm not saying give up on him, not at all. And I did say they needed to get him some help. But if he doesn't progress next year then you have to question whether or not he ever will. Especially since AP isn't getting any younger.

Of course, if the defense still does well, if he can get to league average even, then you're probably set. I am reminded that Aikman never really had world beater numbers and benefited from Smith and a powerful defense.
Yeah this is pretty close to how I feel. I think with where Zimmer has our defense headed, Teddy isn't going to be asked to be some all pro QB. Even with that said though, I'm pretty amazed at his decision making. He doesn't force throws and this year with the o line being so rough, that meant a lot of him jumping out of the pocket and throwing the ball away, but give him protection and I think we'll see a very capable QB.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Mass exodus of Bengals assistants and coordinators. I don't think the Bengals will be good next year. After that horrible, horrible loss I think the players have given up on Marvin. 7-9 or 8-8 season inc.