NFL 2017-18: Watch athletes destroy their brains

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
When you draft a guy like Donald that can end up a generational talent, I think you pay him. I agree I don't like paying a DL that kind of money, but having a home grown guy like that makes lifelong fans out of kids.

Also, I don't think he'll get Suh kind of money, he has 2 years left on his contract. He'll get a hefty fucking raise just like JJ Watt did.
I definitely want them to pay AD. He's top 3-4 talents in the entire NFL right now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
And heres the thing.

Donald is going from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Ask Warren Sapp how well that worked out for him.

I think Donald wants paid because his numbers are going to go way down this year. 3-4 DEs are typically not ever getting a bunch of sacks in that scheme as a 5tech instead of a 3tech. I think the biggest beneficiary to that scheme change is Robert Quinn, if he can stay healthy. Unless Wade employs some kind of hybrid which still puts AD in the 3 technique I dont see him doing the same kind of damage.

• 1Worf

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
And heres the thing.

Donald is going from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Ask Warren Sapp how well that worked out for him.

I think Donald wants paid because his numbers are going to go way down this year. 3-4 DEs are typically not ever getting a bunch of sacks in that scheme as a 5tech instead of a 3tech. I think the biggest beneficiary to that scheme change is Robert Quinn, if he can stay healthy. Unless Wade employs some kind of hybrid which still puts AD in the 3 technique I dont see him doing the same kind of damage.

Yeah, it's a concern. He absolutely deserves the raise based on his play and durability thus far though. I think regardless of the scheme Aaron Donald is going to be the reason the Rams are successful on defense. His frame, his explosiveness, moves. Yeah, might hurt his stats but he's still going to be a dominate force out there.

Wasn't Sapp older Sapp on the Raiders when he went to a 3-4?

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
3-4 is all about the NT and LBs. Is he switching to an end position in the 3-4? I don't think he's big enough to be a NT. I'm thinking BJ Raji, Wilfork type of dudes.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
He probably will be an "end" but it's still basically the same position he played last year. The biggest difference is Robert Quinn will be standing up next to him instead of having a hand in the dirt.

Brockers is the bigger NT type.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
He probably will be an "end" but it's still basically the same position he played last year. The biggest difference is Robert Quinn will be standing up next to him instead of having a hand in the dirt.

Brockers is the bigger NT type.
So Brockers was the 5 and Donald a 3 last year?

I don't watch many Rams games so I wouldn't know where he aligns as a DT, I just know he's a DT who can cause a lot of havoc for QBs so I'm assuming he's a 3 technique guy.

What makes Quinn better with his hands up rather than in the dirt? Is he undersized as a DE?

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I'm just assuming it'll be easier on his back. Quinn is fine with his hand in the dirt, the problem is keeping him healthy.

All I know is Wade says all the time the defense doesn't change much from a 4-3 to his 3-4. He thinks its easier to disguise where the pressure is coming from and it's seemed to do well for him over the years.

We'll see, but I'm optimistic, I think we've improved our secondary and I'm excited to see Connor Barwin out there too.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm just assuming it'll be easier on his back. Quinn is fine with his hand in the dirt, the problem is keeping him healthy.

All I know is Wade says all the time the defense doesn't change much from a 4-3 to his 3-4. He thinks its easier to disguise where the pressure is coming from and it's seemed to do well for him over the years.

We'll see, but I'm optimistic, I think we've improved our secondary and I'm excited to see Connor Barwin out there too.
The defense should be better but it has to do with alignments.

In a 4-3 your DE is lined up outside the tackle, and the under 3tech (Donald) is lined up in between the guard and the tackle. Makes it very difficult for a center to help double team a 3 tech who is quick because its a long way for the center to go to the opposite side of the guard. 3-4 is different, those guys at DE are lined up out further than a DT would be in a 4-3 and its all about responsibilities. 3-4s do disguise pressure and can do lots of stunts etc, but I think a 4-3 with good DL is harder to deal with (ask the Patriots if they'd rather defend vs the Giants or Steelers).

As a 5tech in a 3-4 you have to set the edge in the run game. Instead of just going up the field every play, those guys have to hold their ground in the run game its all about freeing up the linebackers to make plays. Quinn will be playing the role that Von Miller did for the Broncos. That's why it was rare as fuck to see 3-4 DEs who got sacks and if they did they were rare: Richard Seymour, Aaron Smith for the Steelers, Malik Jackson was Wades guy in Denver. AD might make a good DE but I dont see him putting up double digit sacks unless Wade does some weird shit with this defense. But hes a brilliant guy, so hopefully he can somehow scheme up AD to make plays. Historically 3-4 DEs just arent big sack number guys, hence why I think Quinn if he stays healthy should have a big year (keep in mind they moved Demarcus Ware from DE to 3-4 OLB just like Quinn and that worked out well).

• 1Solidarity

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
The defense will do better if the offense is good enough to rest them.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
There is no way the offense is going to be worse. Defense has a better coordinator imo and better players than last year. That doesn't mean we're going to the playoffs, but I have some hope for the season. At least Fisher is gone.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So much on the Rams resides on guys staying healthy: Watkins Quinn etc are always hurt

• 1Solidarity

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not that Bills fans want another rebuild, but they have a lot of draft capital next year. Pretty surprised they got that much back for Watkins.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Famm, hope no injuries tonight.

Well, hope you guys made it out alright. Starting LG out for the season, on a line that already felt thin and shaky. No matter how good this D can be it won't matter if we are always three and out.