NFL 2017-18: Watch athletes destroy their brains

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I don't want to get into this too much but the problem is they clearly (on the first one at least) ruled against the precedent they had used all year long up until this point. Would not surprise me if it was not a command from up on high given the controversy of this year...

It's funny the people who i imagine would argue in favour of stare decisis in terms of the supreme court have no problem with the NFL front office suddenly changing interpretation of the rule when the season is still being played.

No they didn't. The rules may be dumb and unintuitive, but they're not nearly as complicated as people are acting

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
No they didn't. The rules may be dumb and unintuitive, but they're not nearly as complicated as people are acting

Umm yes they did, The Kelvin Benjamin touchdown was exactly the same thing and they ruled it oppositely. Even the ESPN hacks who hate the catch rule admit this and just argue "The way they were calling it all season before was wrong"

incidentally is exactly the line of reasoning that gives us retarded supreme court decisions that go against nearly a millennial of Common Law.

• 2Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Umm yes they did, The Kelvin Benjamin touchdown was exactly the same thing and they ruled it oppositely. Even the ESPN hacks who hate the catch rule admit this and just argue "The way they were calling it all season before was wrong"

incidentally is exactly the line of reasoning that gives us retarded supreme court decisions that go against nearly a millennial of Common Law.

Oh, so you just parrot what you hear announcers say and don't actually understand the rules. Gotcha

Rude

Potato del Grande
Pats lost game in which they didn't punt once. That's pretty much all you need to know about their D. They really need to find some help there.
Their D was total trash most of the year yet patricia had everyone sucking him off for better work. Makes no sense when it's repeatedly displayed that the Patriots won in spite of their defense

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I’ll have to see it more. I felt like he had control of it when the ball actually touched the ground, and then only bobbled it after when his hand was between it and the ground, but I don’t know if you lose control after that if it’s not a catch (assuming he wasn’t a runner, which he actually was).

I don’t know what the rules of a game I’ve watched for 30 years are now because of how fucking dumb the catch rules are. Fix this shit, NFL.

He was clearly a runner, so didn't matter, soon as he breaks the plane, it was a TD. I'll be honest though, the other catch rule one I thought maybe should have been incomplete by current rules. Looked like he had to re-grip the ball and one foot landed slightly in the white after that. But in general, I'd like the rules to reward receivers more for these insane catches they make, and not be looking for the slightest ball movement.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Their D was total trash most of the year yet patricia had everyone sucking him off for better work. Makes no sense when it's repeatedly displayed that the Patriots won in spite of their defense

They gave up a shit ton of yards and were poor in DVOA ranking, but they had the 5th best scoring defense in the league. A lot of that is because of how great their offense is at protecting their D, plus they have good special teams so their defense didn't face a lot of short fields. Probably allowed a lot of FG's, but if they were decent in the red zone you could get weird stats like their D had. Not sure I've ever seen as big a gap in defensive rankings as theirs being 5th best scoring D, but 29th overall in yardage allowed.

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
I, as a fairly casual fan, take issue with rules contradicting what I see with my eyes. I am not a fan of either of these teams. Both disputed catches appeared to be fine on the surface and I was shocked the announcers thought they'd be overturned.

Overall, constantly reviewing the excruciating minutiae of each play's results has made the game a real drag and is likely one of the reason viewership is down.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Overall, constantly reviewing the excruciating minutiae of each play's results has made the game a real drag and is likely one of the reason viewership is down.

Agreed. I thought Jon Gruden was dead on in the Chief's game when he said something along the lines of "If they're going to analyze everything that happens on the football field in super slo-mo they're going to be wasting an awful lot of people's time". I usually defend Collinsworth, but I really did think he sounded like a Pat's homer in this game.

One of the best Super Bowls I can remember though, and I enjoy defense but this was fun. I need a still image of the overhead shot of the hail mary. As I remember it it was a funny image with 6 little green guys surrounding a white giant Gronk. This shot sort of shows it, but the overhead was better. The name of this one should be "White men can't jump".

image.jpeg

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Agreed. I thought Jon Gruden was dead on in the Chief's game when he said something along the lines of "If they're going to analyze everything that happens on the football field in super slo-mo they're going to be wasting an awful lot of people's time". I usually defend Collinsworth, but I really did think he sounded like a Pat's homer in this game.
And yet somehow college seems to have none of these issues.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

after watching the Superbowl, i feel a lot worse about Patricia being the new Detroit head coach

• 5Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
People bitch that the Pats have the refs in their pockets, but it looked to me every call went the Eagles way last night, especially the no call on the hail mary when Hogan just got blasted 15 yards down field.

I understand you don't want to throw a flag in that situation to elongate the game but come on. Doesn't mean the defense should be able to maul people downfield with no consequence.

• 3Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
He was clearly a runner, so didn't matter, soon as he breaks the plane, it was a TD. I'll be honest though, the other catch rule one I thought maybe should have been incomplete by current rules. Looked like he had to re-grip the ball and one foot landed slightly in the white after that. But in general, I'd like the rules to reward receivers more for these insane catches they make, and not be looking for the slightest ball movement.

The ball can move and you still be considered to have control of it. So while there's a definite chance it was incomplete, there's way a human ref could have possibly seen that in real time and no way there was enough evidence to do anything but let the call stand.

Ome

Molten Core Raider
Not like Gronk didnt forearm shove someone out of his way as he was bull dozing his way to the endzone.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user