NFL 2019 Season: It's Tricky!

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I don't know that you do, just he is hurting the team more than helping it past few weeks.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Who is their backup? Jameis has had multiple 4 pick games this season and he's still starting.

At least in Rivers case for a lot of games you can run the ball with Gordon/Ekeler a bit. Tampa really doesn't have that consistently at all.

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
giphy.gif

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Holy hell, Rivers is making some absolutely terrible throws the last few...well years I guess.

Anyway, here is some feel good stuff about Alex Smith. Dude has gone through a fuckton

• 7Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 7 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Holy hell, Rivers is making some absolutely terrible throws the last few...well years I guess.

Anyway, here is some feel good stuff about Alex Smith. Dude has gone through a fuckton

The end there reminds of the 6 million dollar man intro

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It seems as if the Cardinals showed the blueprint for stopping the 49ers offense. Stack the box to stop the run, play man coverage and dare the 49ers WR's to beat them. Seeing as the 49ers are without Kittle, and Sanders was limited, it was working really well for a while. The 49ers WR's are just not great. It looks like Deebo is starting to break out which is great, and I hope he keeps it up. The guy reminds me a lot of Anquan Boldin. But against teams with a better secondary and a good pass rush, it is going to be a huge problem for the 49ers moving forward. If they can't get the running game back on track I think it could spell big trouble for them. The hope is with Kittle and Sanders healthy it will open everything up a bit more, but I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Now I am wondering if I am just too harsh a critic of Jimmy G. The picks he is throwing are so awful, that maybe it just makes him seem worse than he is. I mean he was 26-30 for 305 yards, 3TD's and 2 INT's in the 2nd half. You take away those picks and that is quite the stat line. My problem is the 1st pick was SO bad, I mean just completely missed the underneath defender (which seems to be his major issue) that it really takes away from the rest of his performance. The 2nd pick was just an awful throw to an open TE that once again was deflected to a defender.

So is it that Jimmy G is only good because of Shanahan and his scheme, and at times receivers appear to be wide open? I think the argument against that is Mullens had roughly the same cast of pass catchers last year, and didn't have nearly the success. Is it the fact that Jimmy G has only started 20 games, and these are the kinds of things that only game time can teach you, no matter how much you understand the offense?

I just don't know if I am an overly harsh critic of him, and his mistakes just seem so much worse because they appear to be really awful. Anyway, just my rambling thoughts on the 49ers. The remaining schedule for the 49ers is rough. With Atlanta suddenly playing real football again, the 49ers don't have a single easy game left on the schedule. Should be fun to watch!

I don't know if I'd say stacking the box to stop the run is a new idea vs. the 49ers, it just becomes possible without Kittle and Sanders back there to make you pay for it. The receivers in the Seattle game were horrendous. It seems like Shanahan is giving up on Dante Pettis which is sad considering he was a second round pick and Kendrick Bourne is not looking like he's going to get beyond a 3rd or 4th receiver level. It was nice to see Ritchie James get a couple catches this week even if it does mean that Pettis is officially a bust. Marquise Goodwin looked like he was developing last year but this year he's pretty much proven that he doesn't have much to offer besides running really fast and even that hasn't really worked this year. They really miss Trent Taylor but it doesn't sound that good for him getting back this year. Deebo does seem promising and I don't think Jimmy could have pulled off the win Sunday without him.

I hope they're being careful with Kittle even if it costs them a couple of games in the regular season. They need him at 100% for the playoffs. That guy is a game changer.

Jimmy G is kind of hard to nail down. When he's in the zone like he was in both Cardinal's games he looks like Tom Brady. Stepping up in the pocket, reading the field, and putting balls into tight windows with precision. Then there's the interceptions. I think because he's so fast getting the ball out, sometimes he just hasn't taken the time to see the whole field. The quick release is very hard to defend though so it's a tradeoff. He also tends to miss high when he misses which is also the source of some of his INTs. I think between the quick release and accuracy from inside the pocket and his ability to roll out and even run now and then he's good enough to be a very solid QB in the league and hopefully he can work on the INTs. He's not going to rip one off for 70 yards like Pat Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers, but I think he's good enough to be successful for a long time if he has a decent team around him. He's only the 3rd 49ers QB to ever have 400 yards and 4 TDs in a game and I don't have to tell you who the other two are. Considering that he did it with a bunch of bum receivers and zero running game makes it that much more impressive.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hosix

All labs matter!

Does Alex Smith play before Kaep?

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Jimmy G is kind of hard to nail down. When he's in the zone like he was in both Cardinal's games he looks like Tom Brady. Stepping up in the pocket, reading the field, and putting balls into tight windows with precision. Then there's the interceptions. I think because he's so fast getting the ball out, sometimes he just hasn't taken the time to see the whole field. The quick release is very hard to defend though so it's a tradeoff. He also tends to miss high when he misses which is also the source of some of his INTs. I think between the quick release and accuracy from inside the pocket and his ability to roll out and even run now and then he's good enough to be a very solid QB in the league and hopefully he can work on the INTs. He's not going to rip one off for 70 yards like Pat Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers, but I think he's good enough to be successful for a long time if he has a decent team around him. He's only the 3rd 49ers QB to ever have 400 yards and 4 TDs in a game and I don't have to tell you who the other two are. Considering that he did it with a bunch of bum receivers and zero running game makes it that much more impressive.
I've been a pretty big critic of Jimmy G, and maybe this is me just hoping for the best. But these stats have been posted to try and get people to back off him a bit I suppose. Even though he has been in the league 6 years, he has only started 20 games. Does this mean he is destined for greatness? No. Does it mean that maybe he just needs to get a bit more actual game time? Possibly.

Interceptions over first 20 career starts:
Peyton Manning: 34
Drew Brees: 23
Matthew Stafford: 23
Tom Brady: 21
Andrew Luck: 20
Tony Romo: 19
Jimmy Garoppolo: 18
Eli Manning: 18
Brett Favre: 17
Deshaun Watson: 16
Philip Rivers: 15
Aaron Rodgers: 14

Jimmy Garoppolo has 18 INTs in 678 career pass attempts. Russell Wilson had 16 INTs in his first 676 pass attempts

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users