NFL 2020 Season: Gravy Edition!

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That is zone coverage which DHB even said in the article where its "different". It's basically cover 2 where they're just playing the CB underneath and shading the safety to the best receiver.

Teams who play zone coverage typically do that every week (not cutting the CB underneath mind you), but its not having Patrick Peterson run with him and shadow him in man. They still have to stay in that zone because the Steelers killed teams with Bell when they tried running man double coverage. Steelers had too many ways to beat you doing that. When teams started playing man and trying to get physical Ben was calling the plays then and would just run guys deep and kill them with delayed runs to Bell etc when everyone was 10-15 yards downfield.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That is zone coverage which DHB even said in the article where its "different". It's basically cover 2 where they're just playing the CB underneath and shading the safety to the best receiver.

Teams who play zone coverage typically do that every week (not cutting the CB underneath mind you), but its not having Patrick Peterson run with him and shadow him in man. They still have to stay in that zone because the Steelers killed teams with Bell when they tried running man double coverage. Steelers had too many ways to beat you doing that. When teams started playing man and trying to get physical Ben was calling the plays then and would just run guys deep and kill them with delayed runs to Bell etc when everyone was 10-15 yards downfield.

Almost all "double coverage" is going to be a form of shading/zone. Other than down in goal line sets, you aren't going to see D literally shadowing anyone with 2+ guys.

A lot of the big plays that made AB so great with Ben was Ben's ability to simply not go down to/ignore completely the first defender making contact. Don't get me wrong, Steeler O lines probably had it tougher than most pass blocking because of how long on average Ben would hold the ball compared to league average...but he was able to extend so many plays and turn them into huge plays downfield that it was by far a net positive. Brown and him were great at linking up on those type of extended plays.

I remember reading some stupid stat one time, I don't remember if it was for Ben's entire career or just over a segment of a couple years, but he was the only QB in the league who's passer rating actually went UP after first contact by a defender on him.

Merrith

My 1st round pick in my ff league. Me drafting a player is kryptonite ;x

Bet he still plays. He was my 1st round pick as well, soon as he got hurt I traded him for Ridley straight up.

I would have thought that guy would be pissed at me, but 2-3 weeks ago he was able to trade Thomas again to someone else for Ekeler and Singletary.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
12 person league, I was pick 10 and the first 9 picks were all RBs. And yea weird, so I also drafted Ridley in the mid rounds so I have been set at WR. Outside of last week garbage points Kenyan Drake has been a bust so far

• 1Like

Merrith

12 person league, I was pick 10 and the first 9 picks were all RBs. And yea weird, so I also drafted Ridley in the mid rounds so I have been set at WR. Outside of last week garbage points Kenyan Drake has been a bust so far

That's funny b/c Drake was my 2nd round pick as well. I took Thomas at #8 overall. First 7 all RB's obviously. Was convinced guy ahead of me at 7 would take him b/c he is a big Thomas fantasy guy. I was going to go Cook but he snagged him. Completely threw me for a loop.

Originally was going to take Ridley in Round 4 so weird I ended up with him. Also had guy offer me Metcalf for Allen Robinson straight up 2 weeks ago so did that.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I remember reading some stupid stat one time, I don't remember if it was for Ben's entire career or just over a segment of a couple years, but he was the only QB in the league who's passer rating actually went UP after first contact by a defender on him.

As a Bengals fan who has also watched his fair share of Steelers games, I totally believe this.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Fair point, especially with that contract. And really, both of their contracts are going to make it exceedingly difficult to move them, unless Atlanta agrees to pay some of it.
I cannot imagine any team being interested in either of them honestly. Age and contract being the major factors.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I can see a lot of teams being in Julio. Only teams I could see wanting Matt Ryan is one that is competing but their starter goes down. Which at the moment isnt any team.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Chris Simms gives some fucking good info check him out if you like the X and O stuff

• 1Like

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Pretty damn good trade for the Ravens. One of the best defenses just got better

Edit: And as a reminder, the Vikings traded a 2nd and 5th for him. Seems like they fucked up

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

Not giving up a 2nd, and spreading the picks out over 2 years. The fuck is Minnesota doing?

• 1Solidarity

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I don't get the Ngakoue trade at all, it's certainly not performance based.

Ngakoue had five sacks, two forced fumbles, seven quarterback hits and 12 tackles (five for losses) in six games this season for Minnesota

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Not giving up a 2nd, and spreading the picks out over 2 years. The fuck is Minnesota doing?

Realizing they could not sign him and this season is already over for them?
He is a 2/3 season rental on a franchise tag like contract (1 year $12mm) he wants like $20mm next year.
So an $8mm cap hit to ravens for this year? Then he walks next year. Very expensive rental, but they need someone who can get to Mahomes in this years AFC Champ game.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider

Raiders-Bucs might get postponed so it makes sense, even though that would have been a fine game. Titans/Steelers was probably the game CBS protected to keep from getting flexed.

Hopefully they will flex out more crappy primetime NFC East games, but sadly I admit I'm part of the problem with the feedback loop; I will watch those teams even when they're losing because it's fun to watch them lose because they're always on in primetime and I don't like them for it.