NFL 2020 Season: Gravy Edition!

Fadaar

That guy
Lev Bell and Antonio Brown both going to the Super Bowl. Who would of seen that coming.

And LeSean McCoy going to back to back Super Bowls on different teams, while riding the bench is pretty funny.

Hah I totally forgot we even had him. Hasn't done shit all year, Fournette was the second best signing behind Brady. Gronk has done a hell of a job in the blocking game and the surprise long play.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
I wasn't suggesting Brady didn't play well or didn't deserve praise (or credit). It was more me bringing up I'd heard some weird stuff making Tampa sound like they were some 4-12 team that are now in the Super Bowl only b/c of Brady. When in reality they were a pretty good team that if they had a decent kicker last year even WITH Winston throwing 30 picks (although again, also 5k passing yards and 33 TD's) they could easily have won 10 games and been a wild card team.
Yeah this is where I think Brady was very specific on where he wanted to go play. Casual fans can look at the Bucs roster and be like "yep, they just need a QB who won't lose them the game" and Brady looks at the roster and knows it can be a winner. Where there any other teams remotely with the same talent level needing a QB? Maybe Indy? (Note: You could argue Miami, but I don't think anyone, even Miami fans, could have said before this year that they were going to be this good of a team)

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In addition to his 30 Interceptions, don't forget Jameis' 12 fumbles in '19. He straight up lost 5 of them and the rest likely crippled their drives. The guy was a fucking clown show. There is a reason when Drew Brees went down this year that the Tight End played QB for them. Jameis has the mental acuity of a sea cucumber

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Winston is terrible, you cant turn the ball over 35 times in a season, but one thing about him is he can get the ball down the field. He has consistently put up passing numbers, even if he gets intercepted a ton. Im sure he could start somewhere.

Look how bad the Cowboys QB situation was after Dak went down, look how awful the 49ers QB play was, a guy like Mullens cant move the ball through the air. At least WInston can throw.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah this is where I think Brady was very specific on where he wanted to go play. Casual fans can look at the Bucs roster and be like "yep, they just need a QB who won't lose them the game" and Brady looks at the roster and knows it can be a winner. Where there any other teams remotely with the same talent level needing a QB? Maybe Indy? (Note: You could argue Miami, but I don't think anyone, even Miami fans, could have said before this year that they were going to be this good of a team)

There wasn't anywhere with the group of pass catching talent that Tampa already had. Evans, Godwin, Brate, OJ Howard (although he got hurt semi early on)? Plus they added Gronk, AB, and Fournette's pass catching out of the backfield to Rojo on the ground. Clearly Winston wasn't going to take them anywhere in the playoffs even with a decent kicker last year (unless he magically managed to avoid turnovers for a game...but they would eventually happen), and Brady knew if they beefed up the O line a little they could be a winner.

They did "only" go 11-5, but 5 losses were only to playoff teams (Saints x2, Chiefs, Bear, Rams) and their 3 losses to not the Saints were by a combined 7 points.

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I was disappointed when the Saints didn't roll him out when Brees was out because he had the vision surgery, suppose that just means it didn't help or hasn't paid off yet.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Its easy to point at the receivers and the offense and say that it was a no-brainer for Brady on weapons, but I think there's more to it than just that. You could tell last year that the defense was good but young/raw and the main thing that kept that defense from being great was average starting position of the opponent. It wasn't just that Jameis turned it over - very rarely were any of those turnovers inside their own territory; the defense was playing a ton more goal to go situations compared to most other teams in the league because of where Jameis turned it over.

Don't get me wrong, it helps a *ton* that Brady doesn't turn the ball over as much. But I'd argue that even when Brady has turned the ball over (as evidence in the Packers game) that the defense wasn't put in a bad position after, which allowed them to perform way better than last year. Hell didn't Green Bay only score 6 points off 2 picks? And those were hard earned points because they had to go down the length of the field to do it. Brady gets picked on deep bombs near the endzone; Jameis gets picked in mid-field on a shallow route - huge difference

Sterling

El Presidente
I was disappointed when the Saints didn't roll him out when Brees was out because he had the vision surgery, suppose that just means it didn't help or hasn't paid off yet.
Or him being the Einstein that he is wasn't comfortable with the playbook yet.

• 1Worf

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Honestly I think the Saints kinda fucked his value by leaving him on the bench in favor of Hill when Brees was hurt. Maybe they actually do want him back but wanted to pay less for him.

Fadaar

That guy
Honestly I think the Saints kinda fucked his value by leaving him on the bench in favor of Hill when Brees was hurt. Maybe they actually do want him back but wanted to pay less for him.

I do think it was intentional not letting him strut his stuff when he had the chance. At least now they have him locked up for another cheap year AND get a full offseason/preseason to evaluate.

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
Just saw that the pro bowl is being played via madden this year..

really couldn’t get much worse than the actual Pro bowl so I guess seeing snoop dog high as shit playing vs Marshawn lynch could bring some level of entertainment.

• 1Like

Merrith

Its easy to point at the receivers and the offense and say that it was a no-brainer for Brady on weapons, but I think there's more to it than just that. You could tell last year that the defense was good but young/raw and the main thing that kept that defense from being great was average starting position of the opponent. It wasn't just that Jameis turned it over - very rarely were any of those turnovers inside their own territory; the defense was playing a ton more goal to go situations compared to most other teams in the league because of where Jameis turned it over.

Don't get me wrong, it helps a *ton* that Brady doesn't turn the ball over as much. But I'd argue that even when Brady has turned the ball over (as evidence in the Packers game) that the defense wasn't put in a bad position after, which allowed them to perform way better than last year. Hell didn't Green Bay only score 6 points off 2 picks? And those were hard earned points because they had to go down the length of the field to do it. Brady gets picked on deep bombs near the endzone; Jameis gets picked in mid-field on a shallow route - huge difference

All good points, also there was a clear difference in Tampa's D the last 7 or 8 weeks of the season last year in which they improved their pass D a lot. Their run D was great last year and this year (#1 in rush yards against/game both years), but the improvement of their D against the pass was pretty noticeable. They had a lot of young guys in the secondary that got better as last year went on, and obviously drafting Winfield was a big hit for them this year. They went from 30th in the league in pass yards against/game last year up to 21st...and that's with them having a lead a lot more often and teams being forced to pass more.

Merrith

I do think it was intentional not letting him strut his stuff when he had the chance. At least now they have him locked up for another cheap year AND get a full offseason/preseason to evaluate.

I remember reading something that Payton said that if Brees had gotten hurt mid game they would likely use Winston, but if they had full week to prep a guy it would be Hill. Mostly because Hill is involved in so many extra position meetings each week with all the shit he does (does that fucker still do special teams too?), mid game it would be hard to go to him but if they had a full week where he could just prep as QB it would be fine.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
dayem, him passing the ball for 2.4 yards for every 1 yard ran is brutal, just fucking awful.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Merrith

dayem, him passing the ball for 2.4 yards for every 1 yard ran is brutal, just fucking awful.

It's low...but the whole "no QB has never thrown for less than 6 per 1 on the ground" is problematic when Lamar is rushing for 1k yards a year. If he was throwing for 6k yards a year to go along with that they'd literally be winning every game by 20+ points and no one would be able to beat them.

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah, it's real low, but we're talking about an unprecedented amount of rushing yardage. He does need to throw better though, but he's not going to get to 6:1 if he's running for 800+ yards every season.

Sterling

El Presidente
I mean he's played more than twice as many playoff games as rodgers and almost twice as many as montana. So him having roughly twice as many TDs should be expected.