NFL 2020 Season: Gravy Edition!

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I was surprised at the number of attempts Tannehill had too. They are neck in neck. Watson has a bit higher yards per attempt though.

Tannehill's efficiency was one thing I just didn't buy being nearly as good as last year (mostly in fantasy I'm talking about)...and when you look at that team, you just think, "oh, Derrick Henry will dominate touches", leaving not much for the passing game or Tannehill. But he's been arguably even better, other than yards/attempt coming down a bit (though still above 8.0).

It's actually nuts, the hottest guy in our fantasy league (he's in the finals) has both Henry and AJ Brown. Normally you wouldn't expect both to be able to go off, but they have been destroying for him. Ironically he had Will Fuller too, but he's been filling with Aiyuk last couple weeks and doing just fine.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

I get the receivers but not with zero time and a shit line. Don't get me wrong Tannehill has changed amazingly for the better but the difference legit play action and a good line makes is massive. When every game you play is against 8 or more in the box every time the QB benefits. Does that outweigh good to great receivers? It's a legit question.

For the record, I think AJ Brown is a great receiver, it was just crazy we actually got to see what healthy Will Fuller could do before he got suspended. Also, I'm not sure I agree with the Oline as you're ranking them. Just going off Oline pass block win rates and run block win rates, the Texans rank higher in both than Tennessee. Titans have this illusion of having a great O line because Henry is such a monster, when it's actually not the case. Neither is in the top half for pass blocking (Houston 18th 56%, Titans 23rd 54%), but Houston far superior run block win rate (Houston 7th 72%, Titans 18th 70%).

• 1Like

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
For the record, I think AJ Brown is a great receiver, it was just crazy we actually got to see what healthy Will Fuller could do before he got suspended. Also, I'm not sure I agree with the Oline as you're ranking them. Just going off Oline pass block win rates and run block win rates, the Texans rank higher in both than Tennessee. Titans have this illusion of having a great O line because Henry is such a monster, when it's actually not the case. Neither is in the top half for pass blocking (Houston 18th 56%, Titans 23rd 54%), but Houston far superior run block win rate (Houston 7th 72%, Titans 18th 70%).
That is fair and surprising considering how well they run the ball. You would expect the defense to be back on the heels and easier to block. I guess I see your point, Tannehill deserved it more most likely and it probably came down to what people attach to their names. Not that it should but obviously some of the voters base it on their memories rather than deep diving the stats. If they voted on the proper criteria(this year only) Tannehill deserves the nod. I am convinced.

Merrith

That is fair and surprising considering how well they run the ball. You would expect the defense to be back on the heels and easier to block. I guess I see your point, Tannehill deserved it more most likely and it probably came down to what people attach to their names. Not that it should but obviously some of the voters base it on their memories rather than deep diving the stats. If they voted on the proper criteria(this year only) Tannehill deserves the nod. I am convinced.

It's funny I came upon the discussion in the first place because Ravens fans around here were complaining that Lamar Jackson got snubbed by them picking Watson. Which was amusing as fuck.

• 1Worf

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Any guess on were Darnold or Wentz could move to next year?

Saints? Washington? Pats? 49ers? Broncos? Bears?
Who in their right mind is going to take on Wentz's contract? And I don't think the Eagles can afford to outright cut him can they?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Who in their right mind is going to take on Wentz's contract? And I don't think the Eagles can afford to outright cut him can they?
Could be Wentz and like a pick for some other lesser but bad contract. They can't really cut him either. It's kind of crazy how fast that dude went down the shitter.

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So its gonna be a no defense kinda day. And of course Im playing vs Dalvin Cook in the championship.

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider

Here is how it shakes out in multiple ways from this article :​

Cutting Wentz​

The first things we need to look at is the cost of cutting Carson Wentz at various dates. Here is the standard cut calendar for Wentz from 2021 to 2023. The cap savings are relative to his salary cap number.

Cut YearCut DateDead MoneyCap Savings
2021Prior To 3rd day of LY$59,220,608($24,547,072)
2021After 3rd day of LY$74,220,608($39,547,072)
2022Prior To 3rd day of LY$39,547,072($8,272,536)
2022After 3rd day of LY$46,548,072($15,273,536)
2023Prior To 3rd day of LY$15,273,536$16,001,000

Designating Wentz a June 1 Cut​

Another option is the June 1 cut. The June 1 cut allows a team to essentially hold a player at his current cap charge during free agency and then deal with the acceleration from the bonuses the following year. In all cases the team would utilize this before the vesting of the future salaries in 2021 and 2022 as the June 1 avoids those from vesting. This would look as follows:

Cut YearCurrent Year DeadNext Year Dead
2021$34,673,536$24,547,072
2022$24,273,536$15,273,536
2023$9,273,536$6,000,000

Trading Wentz​

The next option is the trade option and to me that is the only option that the Eagles should consider for 2021. When you trade a player you trade away all the guaranteed salary along with it so all you need to deal with at that point is the prorated acceleration.

The one caveat here is because there is a large roster bonus due on the 3rd day of the league year (remember we talked about that earlier) the Eagles would have to execute a trade prior to that date for a trade to really make sense. Here is how the salary cap works on a trade at various dates.

Trade YearTrade DateDead MoneyCap Savings
2021Prior To 3rd day of LY$33,820,608$852,928
2021After 3rd day of LY$43,820,608($9,147,072)
2022Prior To 3rd day of LY$24,547,072$6,727,464
2022After 3rd day of LY$24,548,072$6,726,464
2023Prior To 3rd day of LY$15,273,536$16,001,000

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Time for the hottest of takes.

They let Hurts big dick it up for the rest of the season and trade him off, and just tank for a year or two with Wentz.

• 1WTF
  • 1Like
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 3 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
They need to look at the people who put them in this situation as well, Wentz should have never been offered that kind of money. It was a bad deal all around even if he was playing well, his injury history said don't give him that money, before he melted into a pile of shit. He's a mental case as well which was known before they got Hurts when he forced Foles out

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Honestly, Philly gets what it deserves. Some of these GMs are idiots. For example, it was proven years ago that paying RBs big money is a mistake. It's still a mistake morons.

Just a few short years ago, rookie QB deals were preventing teams from fielding more competitive units and so they changed rookie deals. FIVE years now to find out if your dude is the real deal! What do moron teams like the Rams and Philly do with this new freedom? Sign young QBs early to ridiculous deals when they have 5 years to find out if the guy is worth keeping! I hope Wentz is an albatross for the next 3 years and ruins that team. Nothing can ruin the Rams worse that this. Holy Faggot, Batman!

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Merry Fucking Christmas Kamara fantasy owners

• 2Like