NHL 2017-2018 Season: Penguins already sucking dick

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
StoiCynic StoiCynic Top line Tom Wilson 2 goals and an assist tonight. Already broke his career high in goals this year, on a 40 point pace for a full season's worth of games. I didn't expect it to work this well but top line had 4 of the 5 goals tonight, Ovechkin had a 4 point night. Nice to see him using his talent and getting more and more away from just being a 4th liner who drops the gloves and PK's.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Detroit made their first sale: Mrazek to the Flyers for conditional picks. The wings get at least a 4th this year, 3rd if the Flyers make the playoffs and Mrazek wins 5 regular season games, 2nd if they go to the conference finals and Mrazek wins 6 playoff games. If they re sign him next year (he's a RFA at the end this season) the wings also get a 3rd in 2019. Detroit is also keeping half of Mrazek's $4 million cap hit.

Mrazek was Howard's apparent replacement at one time, but he was mediocre last year and better, but inconsistent, this year. Part of that blame has to fall on Detroit's godawful defense, but Mrazek just hasn't been as good for the last 2 years as he had been before that.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Detroits situation is god awful. When I try to laugh at Ottawa, they just say 'at least we arnt Detroit.' Getting rid of Mrazek's 4 million will help them clear up some cap space but there will more leaving before its all said and done.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Detroits situation is god awful. When I try to laugh at Ottawa, they just say 'at least we arnt Detroit.' Getting rid of Mrazek's 4 million will help them clear up some cap space but there will more leaving before its all said and done.

Holland was a good GM before we had salary caps, nowadays his overly generous contracts for middle tier players is killing the team. A lot of dead weight needs to be dumped to re sign Larkin, Mantha and Athanasiou this year.

Merrith

Holland was a good GM before we had salary caps, nowadays his overly generous contracts for middle tier players is killing the team. A lot of dead weight needs to be dumped to re sign Larkin, Mantha and Athanasiou this year.

This was a lot of Caps fans complaints about Mcphee when he was here. The "loyal soldier" contract giving raises to guys just because they needed a new deal and they had been with us for a couple years. I wonder if he'll end up doing the same in Vegas although that's a really odd situation given their position now when everyone expected them to be sellers still stocking up futures.

Merrith

Green is definitely being moved, there have been rumors of interest in Helm and Glendenning and I've seen speculation that somebody might be desperate enough to take Ouellett or DeKeyser.

Have a good amount of picks as well next 3 years. Could really stock up and reload.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Have a good amount of picks as well next 3 years. Could really stock up and reload.

Yeah, we should have started doing that a year or two ago, but Holland insisted on a "rebuild on the fly" instead of tearing it all down and building it back up properly.

I'd rather have a couple years of sucking ass instead of 5+ of mediocrity before we become a playoff team again.

• 1Solidarity

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, we should have started doing that a year or two ago, but Holland insisted on a "rebuild on the fly" instead of tearing it all down and building it back up properly.

I'd rather have a couple years of sucking ass instead of 5+ of mediocrity before we become a playoff team again.

I feel your pain, friend..

• 1Solidarity

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I feel your pain, friend..

The rest of the family are Rags fans, I'm quite familiar. My brother in law and I are at the get shitfaced by the end of the first period stage. Need to go to see the local ECHL team to see a good game nowadays. Hell, the NWHL game I went to on Sunday was better than most games I've seen this season.

Merrith

Some trades starting to happen, although no big eye popping names moving yet. Caps picked up 2 depth D guys for a conditional 3rd this year (whichever of ours or the Leafs' 3rd round pick ends up higher), and a 5th next year. Both seem like low risk, depth guys with potential upside. Emphasis on better skaters and better first pass out of the D zone.

I'd love if somehow this caused Trotz to finally sit Orpik, but I don't see it happening.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
StoiCynic StoiCynic Nash and Grabner not playing tonight as precaution, sounds like Rags are close on deals.

Yeah smart move by Gorton. Last thing we need is either of them getting hurt. Sad to think Nash has played his last game as a NYR but that 8+ mill cap hit won't be missed. Would love to have him back much cheaper over the summer but not likely. As long as he isn't going to the Pens, i'll be pushing for him to get a cup. Speaking of which, wouldn't be suprised if that's where Grabner goes. Them or he's going back to the leafs most likely. I know Babcock was sad to see him go.

Was thinking about it earlier... with the Caps cap situation, how many more legit runs do you think they have in them? Is there a sense of urgency (aside from the whole "make it past the second round" thing)?

Merrith

Yeah smart move by Gorton. Last thing we need is either of them getting hurt. Sad to think Nash has played his last game as a NYR but that 8+ mill cap hit won't be missed. Would love to have him back much cheaper over the summer but not likely. As long as he isn't going to the Pens, i'll be pushing for him to get a cup. Speaking of which, wouldn't be suprised if that's where Grabner goes. Them or he's going back to the leafs most likely. I know Babcock was sad to see him go.

Was thinking about it earlier... with the Caps cap situation, how many more legit runs do you think they have in them? Is there a sense of urgency (aside from the whole "make it past the second round" thing)?

Well the window was supposed to be closed after last year. Our cap situation won't be terrible next year I hope. Plus Orpik comes off the books after next season. The major thing hanging over us after this year is Carlson needing a new deal. I think there is a sense of urgency that if our D can get a little better, and Oshie doesn't fall off a cliff (some worrying signs), that guys like Burakovsky and Vrana can keep us in the mix for the next couple years. The Carlson deal or not will be a big thing.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Well the window was supposed to be closed after last year. Our cap situation won't be terrible next year I hope. Plus Orpik comes off the books after next season. The major thing hanging over us after this year is Carlson needing a new deal. I think there is a sense of urgency that if our D can get a little better, and Oshie doesn't fall off a cliff (some worrying signs), that guys like Burakovsky and Vrana can keep us in the mix for the next couple years. The Carlson deal or not will be a big thing.

That's actually pretty impressive asset management then. I guess it helps to have such a strong core.

This is what happens when Sathir manages your assets..

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Green is definitely being moved, there have been rumors of interest in Helm and Glendenning and I've seen speculation that somebody might be desperate enough to take Ouellett or DeKeyser.
Ideally Green, Glendening and one of Tatar/Nyquist out at the TDL with 1st for Green, 3rd for Glendening and two 2nds for Tatar/Nyquist.

We’ve got 5 picks in the first 3 rounds of the 2018 draft already, the 2nd is from Ottawa so it will be a pretty high 2nd.

I also won’t shed too many tears if we move AA .

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Looking like I was wrong on Grabner. To NJ for a 2nd and prospect. Good grab for them with a fair return.