NHL 2017-2018 Season: Penguins already sucking dick

Fadaar

That guy
Lightning may be on a good win streak but they need to finish more games in regulation. Except for the game against the Rangers, 7 of the last 8 have gone to OT. Was at the game vs the Habs today and they looked sluggish. Still won but it wasn't pretty.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
OT is super common down the home stretch when points are at a premium, I wouldn't think too much into it. I would, however, be concerned with that McD/Girardi pairing.... fun to watch that defensive pair breakdown again for old times sake though!

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Somehow I knew Ovechkin was going to bury a pair tonight to get 600 at home.

Merrith

He really is incredible. If he played in the 90's, he might of had as much in half the time, much respect.

Just wish he gets some other guys to step up too come playoff time. Hell it might be Grubauer in net this year the way things are going between him and Holtby. Even tonight, after Winnipeg tied it up for a 2nd time, it felt like Ovechkin was going to have to get the hat trick tonight or we weren't going to get the win. Thankfully our only other 20+ goal guy, Kuznetsov, remembered he can do the thing too.

Also man...you guys are tanking wrong. Put up half a dozen tonight? Nice.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Just wish he gets some other guys to step up too come playoff time. Hell it might be Grubauer in net this year the way things are going between him and Holtby. Even tonight, after Winnipeg tied it up for a 2nd time, it felt like Ovechkin was going to have to get the hat trick tonight or we weren't going to get the win. Thankfully our only other 20+ goal guy, Kuznetsov, remembered he can do the thing too.

Also man...you guys are tanking wrong. Put up half a dozen tonight? Nice.

Meh, Dahlin was always a pipedream and there is no out-tanking BUF/ARZ/VAN. As long as he doesn't go to EDM or CHI i'm cool.

If Caps can finally make it past the second round and spoil my laughs, I might just root for an Ovie cup. If Hank doesn't get his name on it than no.8 certainly should.

Was gonna taunt you with this chart back in Jan, but thought better of it all things considered... 'ahem'...

Don't even know how things look now as I haven't been keeping up, but judging from your comment I hope to see Holtby turn it around though. He actually has become one of my favorite goalies currently in the league.

Merrith

Meh, Dahlin was always a pipedream and there is no out-tanking BUF/ARZ/VAN. As long as he doesn't go to EDM or CHI i'm cool.

If Caps can finally make it past the second round and spoil my laughs, I might just root for an Ovie cup. If Hank doesn't get his name on it than no.8 certainly should.

Was gonna taunt you with this chart back in Jan, but thought better of it all things considered... 'ahem'...

Don't even know how things look now as I haven't been keeping up, but judging from your comment I hope to see Holtby turn it around though. He actually has become one of my favorite goalies currently in the league.

Trust me that chart has been talked about since before January on the Caps blogs. Although our play lately is probably a bit above that. Lets just say there have been some discussion on the validity of xG differential. It seems like a better predictor of certain results than pure Corsi For %, which would make it a nice stat, but it seems to break down with certain teams/players. Trotz's teams have been shown to outperform it by a few % points each of the last few years, and individual players (Kuznetsov one of the better examples) seems to beat both his possession (Corsi For %) and xGF% numbers consistently by a good bit each year. One of the arguments against is that it sort of breaks down just like PDO does in cases of elite goaltending and above average shooting talent. Which...our teams have had a bit of each the last few years.

Holtby has been downright bad the last 2+ months. Of course, they showed the stat tonight that Grubauer has the best even strength save % in the league since Jan. 1st.

Merrith

Lodi Lodi Been getting to see a bunch of the Sharks/Wings game on NHL tonight. Kane looks extremely good. Think you guys might try to sign him to a new deal after the year?

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Lodi Lodi Been getting to see a bunch of the Sharks/Wings game on NHL tonight. Kane looks extremely good. Think you guys might try to sign him to a new deal after the year?

I think we have a shot, but it's likely predicated on a number of factors. Do we make the playoffs (likely, yes)? Do we go deep (likely no)? Does Thornton come back from injury within the year, and does he come back next season? I have no idea on that one.

I sure hope we do, but he obviously has options.

Merrith

I think we have a shot, but it's likely predicated on a number of factors. Do we make the playoffs (likely, yes)? Do we go deep (likely no)? Does Thornton come back from injury within the year, and does he come back next season? I have no idea on that one.

I sure hope we do, but he obviously has options.

People were just speculating that San Jose might be more of his "scene" whereas Buffalo definitely wasn't. That might help him want to stay there. Seems to be meshing well. That assist on your first goal last night was just a sweet play all around.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
StoiCynic StoiCynic damnit I just HAD to post this one. Stats you never thought you'd ever see.

I don't know what's sketchier, that source or the wording used. Primary 5v5 points... If it IS true, less than 30 pts out of 76 at 5v5 for Sid is pretty crazy. The "primary" qualifier makes it a little less crazy I guess, especially considering he plays with Kessel and Geno.

Edit: Whats more impressive is the fact that he got 30 5v5 points while spending so much time in the box... nyuk nyuk

Merrith

I don't know what's sketchier, that source or the wording used. Primary 5v5 points... If it IS true, less than 30 pts out of 76 at 5v5 for Sid is pretty crazy. The "primary" qualifier makes it a little less crazy I guess, especially considering he plays with Kessel and Geno.

Edit: Whats more impressive is the fact that he got 30 5v5 points while spending so much time in the box... nyuk nyuk

Although, you should check out how many penalties Wilson also draws to send opponents to the box. Might surprise you. Pretty sure he's first or second best at that on the team.

As for the Pens, there's a reason their top 3 are all in the Art Ross race...their PP has been so good. Malkin has 33 of his 87 points on the PP, Kessel has 36 of his 78, and Crosby has 34 of his 76. That means Sid only has 42 points that aren't on the PP, and you can subtract any OT points he has as well (3 on 3 or rarely 4 on 4). Meanwhile Wilson has 30 points but only 1 on the PP, plus a short-handed goal. He doesn't exactly get much OT playing time, or 4 on 4 time, so it's not that crazy.

Merrith

StoiCynic StoiCynic refs just handing Pens a penalty shot with 10 seconds to go wtf. That net coming off was not penalty worthy, ridiculous.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
StoiCynic StoiCynic refs just handing Pens a penalty shot with 10 seconds to go wtf. That net coming off was not penalty worthy, ridiculous.

Yeah, pretty unreal. Kids 5th career NHL game, getting shelled by some of the best players in a tie game and they call that intentional? Sucks to see that that kind of favoritism still exists, but him stopping Malkin under those circumstances is only gonna help his confidence in the long run so no harm, no foul.