NHL 2021 Irregular Season and Plagueoffs

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Mantha a rental? Price seems steep given the market

No, $5.7M hit for 3 more years after this one. Vrana was RFA after this year already making $3.35M and probably looking to get paid after already taking a bridge contract. Mantha is a better all around player, too. Vrana lacking in D quite a bit.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Michael Raffl from Philly. Doesn't move the needle much if at all. Depth forward reclamation rental.
Raffl isnt a reclamation and youre super undervaluing what he brings to the table. Hes a great addition to any team.

Merrith

Raffl isnt a reclamation and youre super undervaluing what he brings to the table. Hes a great addition to any team.

He isn't? Put up 21 goals his 2nd seasons, and many in Philly thought he was going to be a 30 goal guy eventually. He's never hit 20 again.

Animosity

He isn't? Put up 21 goals his 2nd seasons, and many in Philly thought he was going to be a 30 goal guy eventually. He's never hit 20 again.
Because hes not a that. Hes a valuable depth player who can play on all 4 lines and all 3 positions. They didnt acquire him to be a sniper. No one in Philly thought he was a 30 goal guy.

Merrith

Because hes not a that. Hes a valuable depth player who can play on all 4 lines and all 3 positions. They didnt acquire him to be a sniper. No one in Philly thought he was a 30 goal guy.

A few did specifically after that season, as least in the blogsphere. He's basically a cheaper depth guy than Panik is. I don't see us bringing him back after this year. He's a 5th for a depth guy.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Mantha’s compete level has been suspect this year. I fully expect that to change.

Merrith

Mantha’s compete level has been suspect this year. I fully expect that to change.

That's the real question right? Will coming to a more competitive situation light a fire under him, and playing with higher caliber offensive players allow his game to produce even more? Will Vrana's speed allow him to blossom into 30 goal guy in Detroit?

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
Holy shit. Vrana, Panik, a 1st, and maybe more to Detroit for Anthony Mantha

No, $5.7M hit for 3 more years after this one. Vrana was RFA after this year already making $3.35M and probably looking to get paid after already taking a bridge contract. Mantha is a better all around player, too. Vrana lacking in D quite a bit.

I hate this trade. Even if Mantha is a better player than Vrana at a potentially cheaper long term price, the Caps biggest issue is age. If we had traded Vrana, Panik and a 3rd for Mantha, maybe it would be more palatable to me, but losing a 1st is terrible. The team desperately needs an injection of youth and we're giving away picks and 1 of our best young players for similarish offensive production and (probably) improved defensive production. We are too damn old to be trading picks, unless we're giving it 1 more go to win a cup and then total collapse and rebuild

Merrith

I hate this trade. Even if Mantha is a better player than Vrana at a potentially cheaper long term price, the Caps biggest issue is age. If we had traded Vrana, Panik and a 3rd for Mantha, maybe it would be more palatable to me, but losing a 1st is terrible. The team desperately needs an injection of youth and we're giving away picks and 1 of our best young players for similarish offensive production and (probably) improved defensive production. We are too damn old to be trading picks, unless we're giving it 1 more go to win a cup and then total collapse and rebuild

I just don't see a late 1st (almost certainly in the 20's) being relevant to where we are as a team right now. The injection of youth wouldn't be for another 3+ years in all likelihood, and by then, any window of having a chance to compete for a Cup will almost certainly be over. At that point we'll be trading away a lot to get a lot more picks for the future, but right now, it's go for it or bust for the next 2 or 3 years, then the pain of sucking again for awhile.

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
I just don't see a late 1st (almost certainly in the 20's) being relevant to where we are as a team right now. The injection of youth wouldn't be for another 3+ years in all likelihood, and by then, any window of having a chance to compete for a Cup will almost certainly be over. At that point we'll be trading away a lot to get a lot more picks for the future, but right now, it's go for it or bust for the next 2 or 3 years, then the pain of sucking again for awhile.

I'm going to go crazy when Vrana lights it up the way Burakovsky has. He has so much potential on a team that takes advantage of his speed

Merrith

I'm going to go crazy when Vrana lights it up the way Burakovsky has. He has so much potential on a team that takes advantage of his speed

I miss Bura, too, but he had 6 seasons to show more than he did here, and never could get over that hump. Sometimes a change of scenary helps, because he would never have gotten the ice time over some of the guys we have ahead of him, but can do so in Colorado. Same might be true of Vrana.

Mantha could light it up for us, too, though. Put up some good numbers on a very bad team. Curious to see what he can do with Backstrom or Kuznetsov centering him.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
That's the real question right? Will coming to a more competitive situation light a fire under him, and playing with higher caliber offensive players allow his game to produce even more? Will Vrana's speed allow him to blossom into 30 goal guy in Detroit?

I wish Mantha well in Washington, but that's been a big problem for him for several years now. He gets lazy and takes shifts off, and then he eventually injures himself in a fight to show he gives a shit. Hopefully having a better team around him will motivate him.

Merrith

I wish Mantha well in Washington, but that's been a big problem for him for several years now. He gets lazy and takes shifts off, and then he eventually injures himself in a fight to show he gives a shit. Hopefully having a better team around him will motivate him.

He definitely won't need to fight here.

Couchy

Molten Core Raider
Went to the Avs vs Coyote's game tonight. Only 4050 people allowed in Ball Arena right now. There was plenty of space at our seats. Only lines were during intermission. Super easy getting out.

Prettt sure the added crowd noise is only on TV. Could hear the players. Heard Devon Toews shout 'Hey Cale'. Pucks hitting sticks and pads was super loud.

Amazing way to see a hockey game. Highly recommend to get tickets to the limited admission games. I will absolutely try to get playoff tickets.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I imagine that's got to be a similar experience to going to a smaller arena. The local arena seats just under 5k and you can hear a good amount of what's shouted on the ice. Fun as hell even if it's not NHL level hockey.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Animosity

How many goals does Hall score tonight vs Buffalo? Ill pencil him in for 1g and 1a.

I think Mantha will pot one vs Philly and their leaky ass defense.

Fadaar

That guy
Went to the Avs vs Coyote's game tonight. Only 4050 people allowed in Ball Arena right now. There was plenty of space at our seats. Only lines were during intermission. Super easy getting out.

Prettt sure the added crowd noise is only on TV. Could hear the players. Heard Devon Toews shout 'Hey Cale'. Pucks hitting sticks and pads was super loud.

Amazing way to see a hockey game. Highly recommend to get tickets to the limited admission games. I will absolutely try to get playoff tickets.

ticket prices are what's keeping me away, especially for the Lightning this year

Couchy

Molten Core Raider
ticket prices are what's keeping me away, especially for the Lightning this year
I tried to get tickets the exact moment they opened sales to the public. Got 3 center ice seats for $150 each. Then ticketmaster froze during the payment authentication. When I went back in they were $300 each. Then $800 each an hour later. Fucking infuriating. About two weeks later I checked just to see what they were like then. There were no sets of 3 seats together, but I did find 5 for $75 each at the very top of the arena.

Maybe try a bigger group of seats? Probably still stupid expensive in the bigger cities though.