NHL 2021 Irregular Season and Plagueoffs

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
1b0.jpg

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Saw this randomly retweeted today. Gah, I miss hockey.

That's okay, it just helps make up for all the missed calls in general against the Rangers. I'll never forget the 9 guys on ice in the playoffs.

But seriously that's laughable to get called for embellishment there.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
That's okay, it just helps make up for all the missed calls in general against the Rangers. I'll never forget the 9 guys on ice in the playoffs.

But seriously that's laughable to get called for embellishment there.
I'm sure every fanbase would say this, but we get fucked more than favored on calls big time. Especially under coach Quinn. He would go off on refs often his first 2 years here and i'm sure that rubbed them the wrong way coming from a rookie college coach.

That and Lemieux and DeAngelo constantly mouthing off. Like no bullshit, same refs were locked into divisions last year and i'm sure they hated us.

But now that you mention it, we were usually on the right side of calls back when we were contenders. It's interesting because a players history usually effects what an official does or doesn't call, so having a young team of unfamiliar players probably has something to do with it too. Like Kakko is the most wholesome kid on the team, he would never dive so it's extra absurd. I forget who it was, but Kakko got slashed once and actually picked the guys stick up and gave it back to him. Wish I could find the Gif because it was hilarious to watch.

Merrith

I'm sure every fanbase would say this, but we get fucked more than favored on calls big time. Especially under coach Quinn. He would go off on refs often his first 2 years here and i'm sure that rubbed them the wrong way coming from a rookie college coach.

That and Lemieux and DeAngelo constantly mouthing off. Like no bullshit, same refs were locked into divisions last year and i'm sure they hated us.

But now that you mention it, we were usually on the right side of calls back when we were contenders. It's interesting because a players history usually effects what an official does or doesn't call, so having a young team of unfamiliar players probably has something to do with it too. Like Kakko is the most wholesome kid on the team, he would never dive so it's extra absurd. I forget who it was, but Kakko got slashed once and actually picked the guys stick up and gave it back to him. Wish I could find the Gif because it was hilarious to watch.

The weird 9 Rangers on the ice at the same time with no call sticks out the most for me, but I do remember some stat from 4-5 years ago that had the biggest penalty differentials by team in the playoffs being listed, and to no Caps fan surprise, the Rangers and the Penguins were up there at the top.

Most dive calls are complete bs, and only occur when the refs don't want to give a PP either way so they just even it up tacking on the extra minor.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
The weird 9 Rangers on the ice at the same time with no call sticks out the most for me, but I do remember some stat from 4-5 years ago that had the biggest penalty differentials by team in the playoffs being listed, and to no Caps fan surprise, the Rangers and the Penguins were up there at the top.

Most dive calls are complete bs, and only occur when the refs don't want to give a PP either way so they just even it up tacking on the extra minor.

I wanna agree with you, but this really doesn't mean anything. AV killed the Torts era black and blueshirts. He coaches his teams to play between the whistles and never retaliate. That translates to less penalty minutes. We literally just made it a point of emphasis this off-season to address because that mentality still hasn't gone away. It's one of the reasons why Philly fans are already over AV.

Merrith

I wanna agree with you, but this really doesn't mean anything. AV killed the Torts era black and blueshirts. He coaches his teams to play between the whistles and never retaliate. That translates to less penalty minutes. We literally just made it a point of emphasis this off-season to address because that mentality still hasn't gone away. It's one of the reasons why Philly fans are already over AV.

There's mentality, and the actual numbers I guess. I can just never buy it anytime someone pulls the old Tavares' "our guys don't commit penalties" mentality (granted was when he was with the Isles, not the Leafs).

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider

This has me dying. Next level pettiness. Can really backfire though, if i'm the habs i'm strongly considering taking the picks and capspace. Puts Eichel on the table for them or they could potentially get a decent pick in a deep and stacked draft. I don't love the moves the Canes have made on D and in net, could be a decent pick.

Also lmao at the 20$ signing bonus. This is why I cringe when I see fans talk about offer sheeting, it opens the door for retaliation.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Hynes, DQ and Reirden coaching team USA... that's a big yikes from me.

Excited for real Olympic Hockey, but I wish we could see a full freaking normal Hockey season ffs. These breaks and truncated seasons really cater to the older teams, really frustrating.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
KK decision tomorrow. I’m buying into the Habs letting him walk and trading for Dvorak theory.

Fadaar

That guy
Hynes, DQ and Reirden coaching team USA... that's a big yikes from me.

Excited for real Olympic Hockey, but I wish we could see a full freaking normal Hockey season ffs. These breaks and truncated seasons really cater to the older teams, really frustrating.

I'm actually still amazed the NFL got through the full season last year, guess they benefited from the 2019 season finale being right before covid kicked off. Literally the last big normal thing to happen before everything went to shit. Going to be nice to have a full length NHL season this year too.