Ni No Kuni (PS3)

Sean_sl

shitlord
Dammit, Sean. You took 8 days
frown.png
Way to prove me wrong.
There were a couple days were I didn't play at all and caught up on my anime and TV watching instead.

Brussels_sl

shitlord
Is it possible to miss out on trick slots for your familiars if you evolve them too early? I'm getting antsy to evolve some now that I have all of their tricks for their forms.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Is it possible to miss out on trick slots for your familiars if you evolve them too early? I'm getting antsy to evolve some now that I have all of their tricks for their forms.
Trick slots? No, it's not. Do note though that one of their slots comes from reaching a specific heart level. I think it's 3 for most of them, but some of them require 6 hearts.

Needless

Toe Sucker
This game is sooo good. Next thing i realize after starting it, was i was just under 7 hours into the game already.

Izuldan_sl

shitlord
Now that this game has been out a little bit, what's people's opinions on the best familiars?

I already read Sean recommending Dinoceros, I don't think I'm that far into the game yet to find him (currently I am in Hamelin).

I also saw the recommendation for Griffy which I guess comes with an Amazon pre-order, which I didn't get.

Besides those two, what have other people found effective? Sadly, I am still using the Mite, mainly because I have evolved some of my other pets and they are behind on levels. I got a Bighorn, he seems pretty good, he's slow which sucks but his Pillar of Fire seems to do good damage. The second familiar you get in the game, the cat-like creature, sucked hard at first but seems to be coming in to his own now....I heard later on he gets to cast Revive? Ester's starting bird pet (drongo?) seems really good especially if you boost it's magic damage.

What pet do you guys like using with Swaine? His starting familiar seems underwhelming to me.

Also, what does it mean when a pet has a double sign? Like Double Water instead of Water? Does it mean they have a higher cap, or easier to level, or more powerful? Or does it not have a significant effect?

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Griffy and Dinoceros are both super OP and trivialize most of the game so if you want a challenge I'd skip them.

Really anything in their 3 compatible genus are good enough to beat the game, i.e. Milites/Dracones for Oliver, Aves/Aqua/Flora for Esther, and Beasts/Mortui for Swaine.

For Oliver I use Mermite (one of Mitey's final forms), Splatterhorn (Bighorn final form) and Puss-in-Boats.
For Esther I use Electrongo (Drongo final form), Grimray, and last spot is usually filler - Esther is pretty poor AI with anything but her Drongo - so just boost the crap out of it's Magic Attack and fill it up with Storm spells.
For Swaine I use Bone Brigadier (Bonehead final form), the Monkey thing you get before the first dungeon (one of his final forms - Aye Aye Catcher, gets Raise, and it's in the Beast family), and Grimpaler. Swaine's starting familar is really bad and isn't even in one of his 3 genus.

Grimpaler (Shrimpaler final form) is super sick - has 5 star attack speed.

Also, what does it mean when a pet has a double sign? Like Double Water instead of Water? Does it mean they have a higher cap, or easier to level, or more powerful? Or does it not have a significant effect?
Sun: +5% Resistance to fire and sleep, +20% damage to moon/double moon, -20% damage to star/double star
Double Sun: +10% Resistance to fire and sleep, +30% damage to moon/double moon, -30% damage to star/double star

Moon: +5% Resistance to water and confusion, +20% damage to star/double star, -20% damage to sun/double sun
Double Moon: +10% Resistance to water and confusion, +30% damage to star/double star, -30% damage to sun/double sun

Star: +5% Resistance to storm and poison, +20% damage to sun/double ssun, -20% damage to moon/double moon
Double Star: +10% Resistance to storm and poison, +30% damage to sun/double ssun, -30% damage to moon/double moon

Planet: +5% exp bonus, +50% damage to double Planet
Double Planet: +10% exp bonus, +10% damage to sun/double sun/moon/double moon/star/double star

MartyrDumb_sl

shitlord
My over leveled ass is using this lineup at Hamelin.

Oliver: Bighorn, Burly Hurly, Najalisk.
Esther: Major Byrde, Wattee, Stranglerfish.
Swaine: Bone Ranger, Crashing Boar, Psychophant.

Having no problems, grinding out the last bit of cash to gear up in Hamelin, while mugshotting with Swaine. The Stranglerfish is concentrated badass.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Okay.. what affects the capture rate if anything? I'm in Al mamoon still, trying to capture the "banana" familiar but they never. ever. pop hearts. Im probably slightly overleveled now, around 17ish but.. yeah, nothing lets me capture it. They die way too fast

MartyrDumb_sl

shitlord
Nothing that I know of at your point in the game, I heard there's a stamp card perk later on to help. It took me a long time to tame that one too, just persist :/

Needless

Toe Sucker
Boo urns, guess its just purely luck then.
Just to be sure, its not a matter of being low health, in opposte to killing them right? even if you 1 shot them, they still get back up to allow you to tame it?

MartyrDumb_sl

shitlord
It's just random as far as I know. Some may have a higher rate than others (not sure). Nothing outside of that factors in I believe.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yes, when they go into "capture" mode, it's basically after they die. If you keep attacking it, however, it will die. The AI automatically stops attacking when it get hearts. You just gotta' grind 'em till you get 'em.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Well im glad thats the case then anyway, so i can just steamroll these fuckers until i get what i want then lol

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, that side-mission took me a bit of grinding and it was just zone out and mash X.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
They have one of the lower capture rates, something like 6% I think. Took me forever to get that one too, and it was especially infuriating because the first one I fought after loading had hearts but I was zoned out and killed it :/ Took over an hour to get another one.

Needless

Toe Sucker
able to kill toko island now.. is there no way to see enemy health/level etc? because these monsters still hurt, specially the mite's

even low 30s now.. i still dont do fuck all for damage :\

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
well, i beat the game. quite the weak ending, though. spoilered it although i don't think i spoil anything.

it's literally straight to credits after beating the final boss. i was expecting a badass animated cinematic considering this is from a studio known for its animation, but nothing of the like.

i will say that after a few hours away from the game i do miss the world they created.