Nintendo Entertainment System

Dedface_sl

shitlord
Castlevania II:Simon's Quest. The theme music from this game is my alarm in the morning.

Dragon Warrior was a great one too, don't know if it got any mentions or not.

Also others that come to memory in no particular order:

Bad Dudes
3D Worldrunner
Double Dragon 2
Friday the 13th
Low G Man
Wizards and Warriors

Sterling

El Presidente
Simon's quest is so awesome. Kind of fun just sitting down and finishing it in one sitting once you've played through it.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
It's definately not bionic commando. I loved that game a lot. LOL. It's definately something not well known.

I have a ton of NES roms. I should just go through each one and see if I can eventually find it.

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Castle Quest was a maze game that was a bitch. OOps wrong key used... restart.

rrr_img_6785.gif

Szlia

It's definately not bionic commando. I loved that game a lot. LOL. It's definately something not well known.

I have a ton of NES roms. I should just go through each one and see if I can eventually find it.
The Ancient's idea, Milon's Secret Castle seems a strong contender for a adventure platformer game that requires a lot of 1-900 calls. Are you sure it's not it (setting is not asian though).

My google fu made me find this blog calledChrontendothat is attempting to review all NES games and they have alist. Maybe it can help.

Szlia

There are other games with similar design, like Tower of Druaga. On top of hidden items and hidden rules there is also an element of randomness in it. This sub-genre should be called Weird Japanes Torture or something...

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I bought a USB NES controller to play the new Megaman vs. Street Fighter game. My 12 year old nephew asked me what kind of controller I was using...He had never seen one before
frown.png

xrg

Golden Squire
I think Castlevania II should be on there, but it's kind of the norm these days for everyone to hate it. Not a bad list though.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I loved the idea behind Simon's Quest many times more than I loved the actual game. 3 came out and it was like a sweet present from Capcom for making me take part in their experiment.

xrg

Golden Squire
Only real issue I ever had with Castlevania II was the comically poor translation. There is a Rom that retranslates it better, and fixes a few other things though.

The actual game was really cool to me at the time, because it came out before it was common to have things like npcs and permanent item upgrades. Plus it was the first one to have the Bloody Tears song. :p

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Only real issue I ever had with Castlevania II was the comically poor translation. There is a Rom that retranslates it better, and fixes a few other things though.

The actual game was really cool to me at the time, because it came out before it was common to have things like npcs and permanent item upgrades. Plus it was the first one to have the Bloody Tears song. :p
Not really, since it came out after Zelda II, and while that game gets a bad rap(deservedly so) it was miles better than Simon's Quest. The game was interesting in design, but what it completely failed to be was remotely fun.

anybody know a good NES emulator ?
A long time ago I used to use something called Nesticle, I'm sure that's still around.

Caliane

Castlevania 2 is basically the first metroidvania. It of course had more then a few giant missteps. Bad translation made it unplayable without a guide.

badlok

N00b
Not really, since it came out after Zelda II, and while that game gets a bad rap(deservedly so) it was miles better than Simon's Quest. The game was interesting in design, but what it completely failed to be was remotely fun.

A long time ago I used to use something called Nesticle, I'm sure that's still around.
I'll take a look when i come back from work , they're so much win in this thread and good old memories

Caliane

and yeah. Nesticle and Zsnes are the two big emulators still I think.
Dunno if anyone ever made one that fixed the transparency thing in Zsnes.