Nintendo Entertainment System

Crell_sl

shitlord
Really isn't a whole lot to the old carts. Mostly just casing. The only real problem I have ever had with my old NES and SMS 8-bit carts are dead batteries for save games. Even that has been a rare issue. ( I had one copy of Phantasy Star for the Sega Master System the wouldn't save.)

Szlia

I'm looking for a game.... And I played this a ton as a kid on the NES and called the 1-900 hint lines all the time lol.

I can't remember ANYTHING about this game, other than there were floors like.. 1-A, 2-C, and those signs were occasionally on the wall etc... and that it was kinda a traditional oriental setting.. I also remember beige walls. It was not a popular game.

Any idea what this could have been? It wasn't stryder (I know that was probably the first thing that came to your mind) or deadly towers or anything....
Need some more info... is it a platformer? A shooter? A beat'em all? Was that 1-A 2-C thing branching paths or were levels just divided in areas? The setting makes it sound like Kung Fu or a Ninja Gaiden...

foddon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Need some more info... is it a platformer? A shooter? A beat'em all? Was that 1-A 2-C thing branching paths or were levels just divided in areas? The setting makes it sound like Kung Fu or a Ninja Gaiden...
Maybe Kung Fu Heroes? It seemed to be a popular game in Japan but no one here gave a shit about it.

xrg

Golden Squire
I played the sequel to Kung-Fu Heroes, called Little Ninja Brothers (as a kid I rented just about anything with Ninja in the title). It's probably one of the weirdest RPGs I've played. Most of it plays sorta like Final Fantasy 1, but when you go into battle it's real-time like that Kung-Fu Heroes video.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
This game was awesome. Guy who posted Super Volleyball reminded me of it...

wSu06.png
I think Crash n the Boys: Street Challenge was made by the same people. I sucked at Crash, but I was a total monster at Super Dodge Ball.

I played the sequel to Kung-Fu Heroes, called Little Ninja Brothers (as a kid I rented just about anything with Ninja in the title). It's probably one of the weirdest RPGs I've played. Most of it plays sorta like Final Fantasy 1, but when you go into battle it's real-time like that Kung-Fu Heroes video.
Little Ninja Brothers was actually a pretty big franchise (called Super Chinese in Japan) spanning multiple systems, only a handful of which made it to other territories. Kung-Fu Heroes was developed by Culture Brain, the makers of Magic of Scheherazade. Supposedly a second Scheherazade game was in development but was dropped so the studio could focus on their Ninja Boy games. The hybrid RPG/action-adventure makes the connection obvious. Annoyingly, they maintain their shitty love of the password system throughout the series.

edit
+1 on Willow. Great game.

xrg

Golden Squire
Annoyingly, they maintain their shitty love of the password system throughout the series.
Haha yeah, I had forgotten about the password thing. I fired it up on my emulator box out of curiosity. Doesn't seem too bad a game really. It's definitely an old school style RPG, but the battle system makes the grinding not seem so monotonous. Well, so far at least. I suppose things could change as it goes on.

Etoryn_sl

shitlord
Legacy of the Wizard is a NES game that will always have a place in my heart. Before the internet when you didn't have gamefaqs. Beating that game took a lot of thinking.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I put a lot of time into baseball simulator 1000. Also liked the nes version of strider. Other notables for me:

Rygar
Air fortress
Battle of Olympus
Faxanadu
Swords and serpents

xrg

Golden Squire
Legacy of the Wizard is a NES game that will always have a place in my heart. Before the internet when you didn't have gamefaqs. Beating that game took a lot of thinking.
Man, that game is tough to figure out even with gamefaqs. I played through it a couple years ago, and I had to resort to YouTube videos for some parts.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Was a platformer, i remember it being kinda maze ish. There were rooms you walked in. The 1-A and 2-C were just room identifiers not like a grid i dont think. I for some reason remember a lot of yellow. I'm pretty sure it wasn't ninja gaiden or anything. It's not kung fu heroes. I'm going to dig into it more. I just remember calling a 1-900 number a lot - so I'm pretty sure it was an adventure type platformer, but not like zelda.

I also loved Section Z. That is a very underrated shooter for the NES, I thought.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTt5q4ijvoBJdRg65Q9z36U-5DJ4KlhiiukA9WJGEyCuc9Me-bCcw.jpg

Played this game for a while as a kid.
Wow, I remembered playing that game a long time ago. I don't think I ever beat it. I think my NES would overheat and turn off and I would have to start over.

I remember it had an A/B switch on the cartridge and I had no clue what it was for.

xrg

Golden Squire
Those were unlicensed games, so irrc the A/B switch was to help bypass the NES lockout chip. If A didn't work you could try switching it to B.

I've read Nintendo actually would do some shady shit threatening to pull stock if stores tried selling those games along side the "Seal of Quality" games. Kind of funny that they were a cutthroat business back in the day. Now days the business side of things at Nintendo is like watching Sideshow Bob navigate a pile of rakes.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I loved that game, but fuck that game. Hours of exploring dungeons with potentially the wrong "hero", never finishing, losing save codes. Gods what frustration. Had some pretty fantastic music though. I never finished that shit, but in today's era that game would be super easy.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Was a platformer, i remember it being kinda maze ish. There were rooms you walked in. The 1-A and 2-C were just room identifiers not like a grid i dont think. I for some reason remember a lot of yellow. I'm pretty sure it wasn't ninja gaiden or anything. It's not kung fu heroes. I'm going to dig into it more. I just remember calling a 1-900 number a lot - so I'm pretty sure it was an adventure type platformer, but not like zelda.
If really hope you haven't forgotten the name of Bionic Commando, but that's really what this sounds like. Tough platformer, rooms, tons of yellow...
rrr_img_5931.png

Actually I'll give you more credit than that. If it's rooms and maze-ish you might be talking about Milon's Secret Castle, which was fucking impossible and no you don't want to go back and play that.
rrr_img_5932.png

I'm not sure that's it though it doesn't appear to have room names.