Nintendo Entertainment System

xrg

Golden Squire
Not really, since it came out after Zelda II, and while that game gets a bad rap(deservedly so) it was miles better than Simon's Quest. The game was interesting in design, but what it completely failed to be was remotely fun.
I was just saying that it was still an uncommon thing for games at the time, not that it invented it or anything. I don't think it's the greatest game on the system, but I just would have squeezed it in a top 100 NES games list.

I useMednafenfor an emulator, but I've only run the Linux version. It emulates about 15 different consoles by itself, so it makes it a bit easier to configure if you emulate a lot of them.

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
and yeah. Nesticle and Zsnes are the two big emulators still I think.
Dunno if anyone ever made one that fixed the transparency thing in Zsnes.
Nintendo:
Nestopia is probably the most widely used. Nesticle isn't bad.

Super Nintendo:
Zsnes is built on old SPC700 emulation. Things like Chrono Trigger have problems with it. I would recommend Snes9x or Bsnes. Bsnes will provide the best accuracy but will need a higher performing machine to pull it off.

Keep in mind nothing will provide true accuracy as you are programming software to emulate hardware. There are some threads out there that go into greater detail about the ins and outs and which emulates are truely best at providing accuracy but I'm too lazy to look for it at the moment.

Welwood_sl

shitlord
This is amazing. I almost entirely missed the whole NES thing as I used my C64 and Intellivision until the SNES/PSX came out. I've missed out on quite a bit of gaming history and I actually went out, bought a gameklip, fpse, and found a bunch of iso's specifically to play through the games I've missed. I'm currently 3/5ths the way through the original Zelda, then going to hit up metroid. This site will absolutely get used a ton here, thanks! P.S. Any good links like this for PSX titles? My chick would love to get her hands on the original Spyro

The Legend of Zelda, Contra and mother fucking Metroid will always be favorites.

I posted this in the emulator thread, but I'll post it here too. There is a website calledNESbox.comwhere you can play both NES and SNES games and it has almost every single game. Even some Japanese only titles. It's free, runs in the browser and doesn't require any extentions.

I'm currently playing bomberman on it for fun.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This is amazing. I almost entirely missed the whole NES thing as I used my C64 and Intellivision until the SNES/PSX came out. I've missed out on quite a bit of gaming history and I actually went out, bought a gameklip, fpse, and found a bunch of iso's specifically to play through the games I've missed. I'm currently 3/5ths the way through the original Zelda, then going to hit up metroid. This site will absolutely get used a ton here, thanks! P.S. Any good links like this for PSX titles? My chick would love to get her hands on the original Spyro
wow.

Skip metroid honestly. While it is the origin of so much. it really doesn't stand up that well.
Metroid 2, or some of the metroidvanias it spawned would fair better. Zero mission of course on the GBA, pretty much is a perfect remake. (and this is coming from a metroid fan)

Original zelda is remarkable. still holds up mostly. Although, as that AVG nerd complains about miltons castle in that link, and then says Zelda "always has cracks" BULLSHIT. zelda 1 had you pushing, burning, bombing every single thing in existence often.

Zelda 2 is worth a look for, holy shit is this lightyears ahead of its time. At the time, it was kindof despised for being so hard though. and such a departure.
Punchout, Mario 2 and 3. Blaster master, Star tropics, and many of the other games mentioned here, should be looked at.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I don't find most NES games hold up well but I do like to play Faxanadu from time to time as well as the TMNT game

xrg

Golden Squire
Metroid probably would hold up better than it does if you could duck like you can in the sequels (bonus if you got the 8 direction shooting). Without that it makes certain areas a lot more tedious than they should be. It's also guilty of the "try to bomb everything for secrets!" but not to the level of something like Milon's Secret Castle.

xrg

Golden Squire
Haha, emulator I use only scores 54.8% - I don't understand hardly any of that data to know what it's missing though.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Original zelda is remarkable. still holds up mostly. Although, as that AVG nerd complains about miltons castle in that link, and then says Zelda "always has cracks" BULLSHIT. zelda 1 had you pushing, burning, bombing every single thing in existence often.
Cracks, no, but dungeon walls that could explode made a sound when you hit them with your sword. Most of the pushing puzzles were fairly obvious too although that never stopped me as a kid from pushing every rock possible.

Or attempting to burn every tree in the god damn game. With the one flame a screen candle. Such time wasted...

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Cracks, no, but dungeon walls that could explode made a sound when you hit them with your sword. Most of the pushing puzzles were fairly obvious too although that never stopped me as a kid from pushing every rock possible.

Or attempting to burn every tree in the god damn game. With the one flame a screen candle. Such time wasted...
Luckily for me my mom actually did that while my brother and I were at school going so far as to note which bush it was on each screen on paper.

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
My mom would beat Super Mario just so I could play the second play through when I got home from school. We beat Milon's Castle without a guide... took a while. She stopped mostly when everything went 3D.

Szlia

Haha, emulator I use only scores 54.8% - I don't understand hardly any of that data to know what it's missing though.
Well... I am using Famtasia which is at 6.4%! I remember picking it ages ago because there was something it did that other emulator did not, but... I don't remember what!

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
ok. it has its own thread, didnt need to bump this one too..... racecars lazers, aeroplanes! its.. a.. duck... blur.