Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Well then I guess I don't get your argument. He is making no claims as to what the switch is or isn't.

This bait and Switch argument has been used repeatedly: If no AAA games, say it's a portable and not really the purpose of the system so don't worry about it. If no portable games, say it's a console and not really a 3DS so don't worry about it. That is the point, there is no 'purpose' to this device, it drives along the median right into the bridge piling. It can't play AAA titles and it doesn't get 3DS ports, so you're left with last-gen leftovers and scraps (as everyone knew would happen).

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 6 users

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I was just commenting on what Spronk posted. I don't actually believe the Switch isn't getting new Monster Hunter games going forward - too much lost money for Capcom not to. All that shit Rafterman is spouting I have no idea.

I think MH World is going to fail to meet Capcom's sales expectations, just like all the other console MH games. Capcom is always chasing the biggest install base but it's really only worked on the PSP and 3DS - both the biggest portables in Japan during their time.

Capcom clarifying:

Last edited:

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Bundles for these have been on Gamestop now for 2 days straight and still not sold out.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Bundles for these have been on Gamestop now for 2 days straight and still not sold out.

That's how it was the last time they had up bundles, which tells me demand isn't as high as people think. I mean if you just have to have a Switch, you're going to spend the bundle price anyway, they aren't marked up. People were paying upwards of a $1k for the PS3 at release and any bundle, regardless of the cost, was selling instantly. When I bought that Switch off of Craigslist the same listings were there from launch and have all been marked down multiple times. There is no doubt people want this machine and more stock will sell, but it's not the rabid "everyone has to have one" type of demand that all the news stories and forum talk would lead you to believe.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I've never played a MH game. Why haven't they caught on in the States? I've read about them a few times, and they always sounded interesting and fun.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
That's how it was the last time they had up bundles, which tells me demand isn't as high as people think. I mean if you just have to have a Switch, you're going to spend the bundle price anyway, they aren't marked up. People were paying upwards of a $1k for the PS3 at release and any bundle, regardless of the cost, was selling instantly. When I bought that Switch off of Craigslist the same listings were there from launch and have all been marked down multiple times. There is no doubt people want this machine and more stock will sell, but it's not the rabid "everyone has to have one" type of demand that all the news stories and forum talk would lead you to believe.

Yep exactly this. If I wanted, I could buy one of those bundles, or get a scalped Switch by itself for darn near the same price.

I will still most likely get one at some point to play some of the games later this year and next year and have a portable rocket league, but to buy one now doesn't make any sense unless you are getting it for someone else like your nephew and find a good deal.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I've never played a MH game. Why haven't they caught on in the States? I've read about them a few times, and they always sounded interesting and fun.

Because they have always been on the 3DS or the Wii U (Or another portable) They sell really well in Japan on portable.

Original MH on PS2 barely broke half a million.

Also, Capcom sucks and a lot of these games have been reusing assets from 2004.

I am hoping the new "Westernization" and story concepts are good because that could cause a major shift.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider

They have obtuse mechanics (you never see damage numbers or monster health bars, item drop chances, etc), skill and crafting system not well explained, and difficult combat - all makes it hard to get into. The most recent games on 3DS have taken some steps to make it more beginner friendly.

It's REALLY fun with 3 other friends in Local Co-Op though which is why it's huge in Japan - they have tons of down time on transportation for adhoc gameplay. It's basically non-stop huge monster slaying and crafting grind - it just will never click for some people.

This new MH is supposed to be making it a bit more Westernized like Ut said, but that could kill the soul of the game for past MH fans.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
The constant grind, repetitive as fuck, clunky gameplay, zero story. It's pretty awful

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Okay 'Arms', what's the verdict here people? It seems like you need a second set of joycons to really get the most out of it so this would be a very expensive title to pick up...

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Without having to go through the last 50 pages, are there any games out currently worth picking up besides Zelda: BOTW? Not the first time I've bought a system for one game, but was hoping that wasn't the case here. I am looking forward to the Mario game like I was when Super Mario World was announced....

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
Okay 'Arms', what's the verdict here people? It seems like you need a second set of joycons to really get the most out of it so this would be a very expensive title to pick up...

Iirc, if you're playing with someone on the same switch you can use a single joycon. It's a really, really fun competitive 1v1 fighting game with Esports potential. The single player is lame and nothing more than an advanced tutorial that you have to beat at level 4 difficulty or higher to jump into the ranked ladder, but an absent/shitty story mode is really not that different from most fighters and ranked/online is what this game is designed for and where it really shines.

Another con is the inability to remap button keys (at least at this time - fuck pressing L joycon to block) and the system to unlock new ARMS is both tedious and stupid, as not only is it a grind but it appears random which ARMS you unlock.

Other than that, the game so far is living up to the hype for me and I'm having a lot of fun.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Without having to go through the last 50 pages, are there any games out currently worth picking up besides Zelda: BOTW? Not the first time I've bought a system for one game, but was hoping that wasn't the case here. I am looking forward to the Mario game like I was when Super Mario World was announced....

MK is decent, besides that, no.

A decent comp will emulate MK at 30 fps on CEMU without issues though, fully playable, fyi.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS, Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment, Snipperclippers (If you have a friend/SO), next month is Splatoon 2.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>

Not a thing worth a shit until December.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
But Mario comes out Oct 27th. Is that not worth a shit now?

Yeah that's fine :) And Rocket League portable will own. And POSSIBLY Xeno 2. But Mario Cart, who cares. Now Zelda, that was one of the best damn games I have played. Hard to not wonder what it would have been like in 4k on a Ps Pro though.

Anyway, Mario doesn't come out until Late October along with X2, and Rocket League in Winter, so... . He will have Zelda to play from now until then. If he is fine with that (Waiting 4 months for something new to play) by all means go for it I guess.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yeah that's fine :) And Rocket League portable will own. And POSSIBLY Xeno 2. But Mario Cart, who cares. Now Zelda, that was one of the best damn games I have played. Hard to not wonder what it would have been like in 4k on a Ps Pro though.

Anyway, Mario doesn't come out until Late October along with X2, and Rocket League in Winter, so... . He will have Zelda to play from now until then. If he is fine with that (Waiting 4 months for something new to play) by all means go for it I guess.
Woah buddy, you are forgetting xcom:Mario edition. Comes out end of August.

And I don't think you can discount Mario kart just because you don't like it. It's still a huge franchise, and 8 is probably the best one.

And then there's splatoon 2 which is supposed to be pretty good too

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Mario Kart 8 is definitely the best of it's franchise, and Deluxe on Switch fixed it's only shortcoming (shit battle mode).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user