Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I've never played a MH game. Why haven't they caught on in the States? I've read about them a few times, and they always sounded interesting and fun.

They're actually super unfun to play. It appeals to a certain niche but I can't seem to get past the first couple zones until I give up. It is the definition of the gameplay is simply getting gooderer.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Did Nintendo not actually expect to sell as many, or did they not make proper agreements with component producers?

I think both count as failures, maybe I'm missing something.

They're actually super unfun to play. It appeals to a certain niche but I can't seem to get past the first couple zones until I give up. It is the definition of the gameplay is simply getting gooderer.

u mean its like EQ?

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I tried to get that going via emulator but it wouldn't load. Not sure what I did. Probabaly a bad rip.

I hear ya Jim but 3 hours on a portable sucks. Especially in this day and age. And it wouldn't be such a big deal if Nintendo didn't lock it down. 6 hours should be a standard right now. It's easy to admit though that part of the issue is not having any battery technology innovations. There is a lot on the horizon, but we have been stuck in the Lithium-Ion age forever.

Virtual console isn't there because this entire console was rushed to hell and back to get out the door to rescue their stock from tanking even further. None of the back end systems were complete, and their online is shot as a result. Everything took a step back from a feature stand point, including voice comms obviously. It isn't helping that their game support in 2017 will be 3-4 good titles and a shitload of ports, of which include the same indie games I can play for half the price on my 3DS XL/Vita with absolutely zero advantage besides possibly a better screen (The games themselves aren't changing much aside from including DLC we already have if we already bought the system) and with the Vita, I still have access today for 2 free games a month via my PS Plus sub across 3 devices (PS4, PS3 and Vita) and literally nothing for Switch.

Cave story came out today - the same damn game that sells for $14.99 on my 3DS is $29.99 for whatever reason on the switch. Point being that is all they have is Zelda, Mario Kart and Splatoon 2 - (Did they even give us a release date yet on Xeno 2?) there isn't any reason to even think of one of these unless it's for a gift for a kid and you happen across a good deal, or until the new Mario comes out in October. Now, what would have changed that? A full library of VC titles and a launched online service this summer. But now even that is pushed to 2018 (Hopefully they are reworking the entire thing) and Metroid is supposed to be fall of 2018.

The Mario Xcom game COULD be fun however. And fun to take around. The thing just needs some serious games that aren't ports of shit we have already had for years, or have had access too for years if we ever wanted to play them. I would bet even some of the games the Switch gets will be give a ways on other services before a Switch version comes out.

Either way, portable winner, if you are interested in Indie titles, is still going to be the 3DS for a VERY long time. And obviously, it isn't losing support since a new Metroid game is coming out for it and a new version of the hardware launches this summer.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Did Nintendo not actually expect to sell as many, or did they not make proper agreements with component producers?

Sounds like the new Iphone this year uses some of the same components in the Switch display, as well as some motorized as well as the internal memory (32gb) which is the baseline model for iphone storage. Main supplier is Toshiba. Apple simply outbid them.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Allowing yourself to get outbid on crucial components while demand is present seems bad.

My question remains, what do you think?

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Not sure if I buy it. I think there may be a few smart people left at Nintendo who realize their 2017 line up sucks, and with Online rolled back to 2018 and an unsure date of Xenoblade 2, they are keeping everything scaled back a bit ala Wii levels. And Next year, once the games catch up (Or as earlier as Mario launches and Holidays) they will magically have a ton of them.

Because as it stands right now, if they did flood the market with supply, real word of mouth would get out on how slim this console is compared to upcoming consoles from feature parity, and while they would sell some this summer, they would get their ass kicked in their Q3 and Q4 by Xbox One X and PS Pro (And a PS Pro strategically placed Price drop)

spronk

FPS noob
Nintendo: we need more switches made this year
Foxconn: we could get the chinese government to turn over some more prisoners and build a factory for you
Nintendo: ok sounds good
Foxconn: wait it'll be an extra $10/switch to do it
Nintendo: never mind

the scary thing is the iPhone 8 is going to launch in Sept (ship in October), and it will be the 10th anniversary of the iPhone. Apple sold over 200m iphones last year and 78m last holiday season, they will probably push at least 80m units this fall.

• 1Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
think i'll sell my switch with a 50$ profit

will miss its dust collection powers but can't have it all

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
think i'll sell my switch with a 50$ profit

will miss its dust collection powers but can't have it all

Probably a good idea. Buy one again next year or the year after when games are out to actually play.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
I just bought 2 neon yellow joy cons because I needed it to look better as a paper weight.

Wonder boy and master blaster zero were awesome though I mean not like true rpgs but fun none the less, kinda like bubble bobble in a sense.

I am Setsuna is being played and I still say this game is fun as hell on a switch and looks good (on the small screen) :p

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
You should sell it used on Ebay before it drops in value.

Even Gamestop isn't selling out of their bundles any longer. More and more used consoles are hitting the streets as Nintendo fans bake in disgust.

:p

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
for some bizarre reason gamestop is giving $300 for a switch so if you wanna pick up a xbox or ps4 you can do that too. i wouldn't sell on ebay, too many scammers. i'm almost tempted to trade in my ps4 pro and get another one, but $100 to refresh the warranty is kinda dumb

keep in mind while games are now locked to your account, not your system, SAVES are still tied to your system and there is no cloud backup yet. So if you trade/sell your switch, your zelda and other saves are gone forever.

O2fwpzM.jpg

Last edited:

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Only thing pulling up for me is $300 for your smartphone when you trade it in towards a purchase of one of those consoles.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Where are you guys selling Switches for a PROFIT? I bought mine used in mint condition with pro controller and Zelda for $500 CAD.

• 1Like

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Rocket League will give it a lot of longevity as long as it plays well via portable.

Rocket League is going to play like shit via portable. Between the small size and awful button layout the joycons are damn near useless. Even Zelda and Mario Kart sucked to play using them.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Battery life minimum = cross country flight. If you can't play that long the battery life isn't that great.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Rocket League is going to play like shit via portable. Between the small size and awful button layout the joycons are damn near useless. Even Zelda and Mario Kart sucked to play using them.

I was going to ask, what did you think of your experience playing Zelda and Kart on the portable?

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider

Why are people using the joycons disconnected? It's more comfortable than a 3DS to play if you keep them connected and just play it like normal. I guess if you wanted to do split screen while portable but that seems awful except as a party trick, despite the Nintendo ads with millennial rooftop parties. I can't imagine playing any games splitscreen while undocked. If I'm going to do local multiplayer I'd expect everyone to have a Switch - Rocket League will have have local play over bluetooth so it won't even require wireless connection if you have 4 people together in the same room.

Battery life minimum = cross country flight. If you can't play that long the battery life isn't that great.

I mean it has slightly less (about 30 min) battery life of the 3DS when playing a title like Monster Hunter or Pokemon Sun/Moon, while pumping out HD graphics. They used as big a bettery as they could to keep it the form factor needed - a 4310mAh lithium ion that takes up the bulk of the inside of the case. The problem is mostly that battery tech hasn't progressed in 5 years.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Is there a "man" sized controller or attachments? The knobs and buttons are abysmally small... and this is literally the only thing keeping me from playing Zelda.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Is there a "man" sized controller or attachments? The knobs and buttons are abysmally small... and this is literally the only thing keeping me from playing Zelda.

There isn't and it's another issue. Unless you want to use the Pro controller. Does the pro controller work while in portable mode? Stand up the portable and break out the pro controller for rocket league on the go? Because I can totally see that issue via control now that I think about it.