Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Maybe I'm just missing something, but why even compare sales of the Switch to Xbox/PS4 at this point? I can understand looking at lifetime sales and historical markers, but current sales? I imagine the vast majority of people who want an Xbox/PS4 already have one, so of course the Switch is going to sell well at the moment comparatively.

If the PS4 is still occasionally selling more than the Switch (like the article says happened in two recent months), that's pretty damn sad right? A 4-year-old console beating out a brand new one in sales?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Maybe I'm just missing something, but why even compare sales of the Switch to Xbox/PS4 at this point? I can understand looking at lifetime sales and historical markers, but current sales? I imagine the vast majority of people who want an Xbox/PS4 already have one, so of course the Switch is going to sell well at the moment comparatively.

If the PS4 is still occasionally selling more than the Switch (like the article says happened in two recent months), that's pretty damn sad right? A 4-year-old console beating out a brand new one in sales?

But that's the catch. Nintendo and all it's fanboy's with their earmuffs on to the common sense of the genera public will blame this on a shortage of supply. Yes, there was a shortage of supply for a brief period. Now that there isn't, we are seeing the "Shortage" Nintendo is talking about not being a shortage at all. It's all smoke and mirrors at this point to keep up the illusion of high demand low supply psychologically. It's actually a very effective technique - albeit, highly unethical as far as I am concerned because it's just a flat out lie, but.... that's what Nintendo does.

Next up: Nintendo Fanboy: "Well, if you ever thought this would be anything more than just a great 1st party platform and an ability to play portable if you want, you were the problem". I mean so far we have seen that withe Switch will replace the 3DS, we have heard that there is a shortage of supply, and now that THAT is also a failing message because people know better at this stage of the game - it will revert back to the above quote and it will be another failed attempt by Nintendo and it's Niche to try and sell an enormous amount of hardware units on a lack luster console with a crap online service and 10 year old thinking...

It's amazing what these idiots won't do for the long term longevity of their company instead of short term BS gains in NES/SNES classic hardware which will be a blimp on the radar. It's so backwards and so inept in it's strategy that I simply cannot believe these people hold these positions. Well, I guess I can. Japanese people would rather jump off a building than admit they need to change. It's the way they do business.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Mario Odyssey is 900p (locked) when docked with lower resolution cut scenes. Gross.

• 1Worf

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Mario Odyssey is 900p (locked) when docked with lower resolution cut scenes. Gross.

JFC listen to this guy scapegoat and sell upscaled 720p with 900p dynamic in the video.

"Nintendo won't let us show ANY of the cut scenes". Shock. Scapegoat: "Well we don't want to ruin any of the story!"

(Still going to sell a boatload though. Well, at least 4 million within 2 weeks based on predictable attach to current market)

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
JFC listen to this guy scapegoat and sell upscaled 720p with 900p dynamic in the video.

"Nintendo won't let us show ANY of the cut scenes". Shock. Scapegoat: "Well we don't want to ruin any of the story!"

(Still going to sell a boatload though. Well, at least 4 million within 2 weeks based on predictable attach to current market)
I mean I’m sure it will still be a great game regardless of resolution. Seems they are definitely targeting maxing out the hardware at 720p in handheld mode, so I expect most of the first party games to be around 900p in console mode. Isn’t 900p why most xbone games play at anyways? Yes I realize they are more graphically intensive, but still.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I mean I’m sure it will still be a great game regardless of resolution. Seems they are definitely targeting maxing out the hardware at 720p in handheld mode, so I expect most of the first party games to be around 900p in console mode. Isn’t 900p why most xbone games play at anyways? Yes I realize they are more graphically intensive, but still.

I will agree this doesn't hamper First Party Nintendo games as much. But 3rd party will be non existent. Which is why I giggle when people say "Look at Nintendo! 3rd party is back!" when they get 6 year old games at half the resolution for the same price as when they launched. Either way, more and more people are buying into 4k sets, we have streamlined cloud services, and the Switch is proving to be the same docked 1st party console it has always been (Roughly 80+% of people aren't ever taking it out of the dock) so... it's pretty sad they didn't just release a powerful home console, throw a Virtual Console subscription service on it with functional online shared accounts, and go hog wild on the thing.

Because you know what? I would be purchasing a Nintendo console if they did that along with a Sony console for exclusives and it would be a tie for what I would buy for 3rd party at that point or cross platform. And Microsoft's Xbox One X would be taking a seat because I could play all their games on PC anyway.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I will agree this doesn't hamper First Party Nintendo games as much. But 3rd party will be non existent. Which is why I giggle when people say "Look at Nintendo! 3rd party is back!" when they get 6 year old games at half the resolution for the same price as when they launched. Either way, more and more people are buying into 4k sets, we have streamlined cloud services, and the Switch is proving to be the same docked 1st party console it has always been (Roughly 80+% of people aren't ever taking it out of the dock) so... it's pretty sad they didn't just release a powerful home console, throw a Virtual Console subscription service on it with functional online shared accounts, and go hog wild on the thing.

Because you know what? I would be purchasing a Nintendo console if they did that along with a Sony console for exclusives and it would be a tie for what I would buy for 3rd party at that point or cross platform. And Microsoft's Xbox One X would be taking a seat because I could play all their games on PC anyway.
I agree, but if anyone is buying a switch for third party games you are retarded anyways. If the switch is your only console you made a terrible choice. Switch might end up being the best for indi games because they usually are basic graphically and would benefit from playing on a handheld, but personally I think most indi games are garbage.

It is getting LA Noire which isn’t a 6 year old game, but like you said the better experience for the game is going to be with Sony or MS unless you like the mobile aspect of the switch.

Lack of VC is incredibly stupid on their part, no doubt about it. It’s probably the biggest issue with the system that is 100% within their control and that has no downside to implementing.

Link to the 80% stat? I don’t believe that honestly, unless the question was something like do you take it with you outside of the house. Personally I’ve used it probably 95% of the time in handheld mode

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
It is getting LA Noire which isn’t a 6 year old game

It was launched before Skyrim - May 2011. So sorry, correction - 6 and a HALF years :) I loved the game so if they can get a sequel out somehow in a different time period (Say, the 20's) I would love it, so meaning if this helps sell more copies that would be a good thing for me anyway.

Link to the 80% stat? I don’t believe that honestly, unless the question was something like do you take it with you outside of the house. Personally I’ve used it probably 95% of the time in handheld mode

I saw that percentage I think from a post from M Man0warr - correct me if I am wrong. Albeit yes, that doesn't include if people take it out of the dock around the house possibly? Not sure.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
It was launched before Skyrim - May 2011. So sorry, correction - 6 and a HALF years :) I loved the game so if they can get a sequel out somehow in a different time period (Say, the 20's) I would love it, so meaning if this helps sell more copies that would be a good thing for me anyway.

I saw that percentage I think from a post from M Man0warr - correct me if I am wrong. Albeit yes, that doesn't include if people take it out of the dock around the house possibly? Not sure.
You got me on that one, I thought what they were releasing was a sequel but it’s just a remaster for xbone/PS4/Switch.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Ok but I WOULD DEFINITELY love to see the VR of this hit PSVR. Would buy it in an instant. Only HTC Vive so far it looks like.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Can you use the pro controller with just the tablet part of the switch using the little stand on the back? i just bought one but holding this thing is annoying (for long periods of time)

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Can you use the pro controller with just the tablet part of the switch using the little stand on the back? i just bought one but holding this thing is annoying (for long periods of time)

Yeah but then you need to carry the Pro Controller around with you. Hopefully you are just talking about in the house :)

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Also just checked - Most everyone now is selling non bundles online with in store pick up or shipping. Walmart, target, BB's, Gamestops, all have them in damn near every part of the US in droves in case someone wanted to get one for Mario or something or hasn't played BOTW and doesn't mind throwing money out the window.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Also just checked - Most everyone now is selling non bundles online with in store pick up or shipping. Walmart, target, BB's, Gamestops, all have them in damn near every part of the US in droves in case someone wanted to get one for Mario or something or hasn't played BOTW and doesn't mind throwing money out the window.
Buying an xbone is throwing money out the window. Switch is more like lighting yourself a nice fire with the money. At least you get a bit of warmth out of the deal

• 1Worf

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
It's getting third party support from Bethesda at least. Doom 2016 port and it will get a port of Wolfenstein 2 which is a current gen AAA title unreleased. Not to mention it's gotten newest versions of NBA2k and Fifa. It supports UE4, Vulkan, and all other relevant middle ware that developers use and it's running on a chip that nVidia wants to support and is pushing - this isn't really a Wii U situation. If it continues to sell (and the games sell as well) then 3rd parties will support it in some way.

It's also getting the best selling 3rd party franchise it could ask for, Pokemon. GameFreak isn't owned by Nintendo after all and it releases games for other consoles.

If AAA 3rd party support dries up, it's not really going to change anything - either way Switch sales will be because of Nintendo's own first party titles and their usual 3rd party partners like Level 5/Atlus/Capcom, and I don't see indie support drying up either. Buy a Switch if you want to play Nintendo titles, build a PC for everything else if you are smart. Maybe buy a PS4 if you really like Uncharted/Bloodborne/Persona 5. Don't buy an Xbox.

The 80% stat or whatever of people never take the Switch out of their house was from a Nintendo survey. It doesn't specify how they play it in their house though - I personally play it mostly in handheld on the couch/in bed while watching TV or someone else using the TV. I'll take it with me if I'm taking the rail downtown or something. Really the same with the 3DS, I didn't take it outside near as much as just playing it wherever I wanted inside.

Last edited:

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Sister bought my nephew a Switch for his Bday, not gonna lie I thought it was pretty slick after actually using it for a bit.

Crisco

A greasy jar
Not sure why, but Golf Story looks interesting coming out tomorrow.

$15 bucks and appears to be switch only.