Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
SO USEFUL TO THE CONSUMER! :)

PS: Nearly 30% of TOTAL switch sales are in Japan.

PSS: No one cares about Japanese consumer habits.

PSSS: The rest of the world isn't buying this.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Switch #1 selling console in September, according to NPD. Three straight months now. Nintendo also had 2/3rds of Septembers total hardware sales, when combined with 3DS and SNES Mini.

Nintendo News: Nintendo Systems Claim Two-Thirds of September Video Game Hardware Sales

In Japan. 1.5 million of the 5.4 million sold (TOTAL TO DATE) are in Japan. World wide, no one gives a shit. Because as usual, no fucking numbers. Let's call NPD the new NIntendo Paid Deployment marketing firm.

They have barely broken 2 MILLION IN THE US!

THATS HILARIOUSLY FUCKING BAD.

I didn't think it was that bad :)

Last edited:
  • 2SJW
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
1.5 Million here....

220px-Japan_%28orthographic_projection%29.svg.png

And 4 million remainder....

planet-earth-3.jpg

spronk

FPS noob
I do look forward to Mario Odyssey releasing in 8 days, that would be enough of a game for me to justify owning a switch. Its really too bad though its releasing on the same day as Assassins Creed Origins and Wolfenstein 2, all 3 are really super solid 10/10 games and I sorta feel like I'm gonna get so paralyzed by having to choose between em.

also apparently firmware 4.0 enables USB headsets to work on the switch, people have been able to get the playstation golds and Logitech's to work just fine.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
This means, as noted above, Japan accounts for almost 30% of the world wide sales.

Fucking laughable that this thing has barely broken 2 million in the US. Which means roughly 2 million sold IN THE REST OF THE WORLD.

Which makes absolutely perfect sense and helps me regain some hope that people aren't raving idiots when it comes to Nindy's backward marketing cycle when Europe never ran out of stock to begin with. People are finally realizing Nintendo is horseshit and they need to change their business practices.

• 1Salty
  • 1SJW
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
HEY GUYS THEY ADDED A PRE-PURCHASE FEATURE ON THE ESHOP! AND.... Gasp.... YOU CAN PRELOAD!!!!!!! NO WAY. I have never heard of this before!!!!

A pre-purchase option will be available for certain games. This option allows pre-load of the game to your system for quicker play when the game is released.

tumblr_m0wb2xz9Yh1r08e3p.jpg

• 1Salty
  • 1SJW

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Already dropping the price :)

also apparently firmware 4.0 enables USB headsets to work on the switch, people have been able to get the playstation golds and Logitech's to work just fine.

I bet Nintendo fans will come out of the wood work now for having a feature back that was implemented as a standard 13 years ago and call it exciting news for the Switch.

Last edited:
  • 1SJW

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Wow Ut you are really losing it. 4 rapid fire posts. Like Trump calling Fake News.

NPD doesn't give hard numbers anymore to the public, I don't know why - probably leakers or something. It's been that way for like 4 years now. I wish the data was black & white like it is in Japan and the UK but NPD is all we've got. No one was calling out their data when it was the PS4 winning every month for the last 2 years.

Outside of Japan, we don't have any actual numbers for any console maker unless they announce it themselves. Last time that happened for both Sony and Nintendo was in June/August AFAIK - PS4 had just hit 63 million and Nintendo announced Switch had sold over 5 mil.

• 2Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Wow Ut you are really losing it. 4 rapid fire posts.

NPD doesn't give hard numbers anymore to the public, I don't know why - probably leakers or something. It's been that way for like 4 years now. I wish the data was black & white like it is in Japan and the UK but NPD is all we've got. No one was calling out their data when it was the PS4 winning every month for the last 2 years.

Outside of Japan, we don't have any actual numbers for any console maker unless they announce it themselves. Last time that happened for both Sony and Nintendo was in June/August AFAIK - PS4 had just hit 63 million and Nintendo announced Switch had sold over 5 mil.

Gamespot just reported 2 million of the total sales are in the US. 1.5 million are in Japan. We have demographic numbers on actual units.

Specific sales figures for the month were not shared, but Nintendo noted that Switch has now sold more than 2 million units in the US since launch.

That's garbage. Period. When a country the size of my pinky accounts for the world wide sales of a product hovering almost to 30% of market penetration, the answer is clear. No one outside of a small bubble is purchasing an under powered non standard console without up to date features. All games aside. People EXPECT something like Bluetooth audio on the device. They EXPECT an online service to live on a console. They EXPECT an online service which has actual benefits besides online play. They EXPECT to be able to save their damn games in a cloud based service on said online service, or at the very least back up saves TO A MEMORY CARD. They EXPECT to see more than just iOS ports and 2011 game launches from 3rd party. They EXPECT a common standard that has been in play on the portable market and standard home consoles for over 10 years now, NOT MISSING from the console in spades because of an early launch.

And now we will watch the sales crumble to the ground where they deserve to be as a result of complete ineptitude.

Playing Wolfenstien 2, Skyrim, LA Noire, Epic games that deserve to be played in a full on experience, on the switch, is akin to watching the new Star Wars movie on a 17" Black and White with Mono sound.

THAT'S what is going to nail them in the ass and they haven't even seen that yet aside from everything else. The best experience is wanted. And that best experience will ALWAYS trump some schmuck lay off portability scheme which results in a PISS POOR docked experience compared to 4k consoles/ home theater audio, where some games are NOT MEANT to be portable. And that effects all new 3rd party AAA games.

Last edited:
  • 1SJW

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Japan is at 1.88 million as of last week's sales.

The only thing Nintendo's Press Release said today was "Nintendo Switch has already surpassed 2 million units sold in the U.S. alone" - so all we know it it's sold at least 2 million in the US.

Yes, the sales are going to crumble as we head into the 3 biggest console sales months of the year.

• 1Worf
  • 1Picard

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Japan is at 1.88 million as of last week's sales.

The only thing Nintendo's Press Release said today was "Nintendo Switch has already surpassed 2 million units sold in the U.S. alone" - so all we know it it's sold at least 2 million in the US.

Yes, the sales are going to crumble as we head into the 3 biggest console sales months of the year.

It will for the the Switch. So that's even worst with Japan then. They account for 34% of the market share!

Think about it!

I am going to see if you can think of this one on your own as to why THIS IS A BAD THING.

• 1SJW

Therage

Vyemm Raider
You pay way more attention to how the switch is doing versus I do and I own one bro. I get that you hate this thing, but not all of us owners do. I bet Mario moves at least a million switch units because Mario.

• 2Solidarity

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
You pay way more attention to how the switch is doing versus I do and I own one bro. I get that you hate this thing, but not all of us owners do. I bet Mario moves at least a million switch units because Mario.

I have already been through this as to why I pay so much attention to it. Nintendo launched an early access console in a panic mode without any features and in fact, took the console itself back to 2002 with regards to basic design aside from the slip and slide mechanic. I care (Still) because I know what Nintendo could do, as it sits right in front of their faces, yet again, but people buy into their low effort shit. I want to see a console worth a shit come out of Nintendo this century before I die, and money talks. If people let Nintendo slip by with selling this type of garbage, the chances of ever seeing anything remotely worthy keeps dwindling.

And everything they need to do is SO simple and should have been done before they had a prototype. Nintendo fans putting their hands to their ears doesn't help...

But, sales are tanking now. The Demographic target is completely off kilter to sway even more 3rd party away since they know how much their products sell in Japan, so install base won't matter when they look at the percentages of target, and Nintendo will go back to the drawing board. Hopefully this next time with something that doesn't bring us back to the stone age of feature parity because their culture doesn't match 99% of the world.

In Layman's terms: A saturated (Unbalanced) Japanese market is bad for the Switch with a majority of 3rd party in mainstream. Mainstream AAA games do not sell in Japan. I am talking anything from Skyrim, LA Noire, GTA 5, Witcher 3, Evil Within 2, Divinity 2, etc. This list can go on forever.

Once these publishers break down the actual target penetration numbers, they will look at how many units have saturated their higher base of sale for their games. If 34% of that install is in Japan, you can kiss anything relevant being launched for it out the window. With that said, another issue is arising that I saw from miles away. Most AAA games do NOT translate well to portable. People want to sit on the couch, full audio, some have 4k, maybe headphones, with full comfortable controls and they WANT the best experience. Similar to how you are not going to go see the new Star Wars movie via your iphone and ear buds. So that's another issue altogether.

A 3rd issue is all this would have been fine, had they made the console powerful enough to GIVE that experience for AAA games while docked, with an option to just bring it around. The portable option could then fall flat on battery life and control (Which it is anyway) as long as it was only a side gimmick not to be taken seriously with the docked experience which gives a full experience rivaling today's consoles.

Their 1st party market is growing up quickly. I can ask a 5 year old who Mario is and they don't have the first fucking clue, and the older market is becoming disenfranchised with the industry as a whole because of shit that Warner Brothers and EA are pulling with P2W mechanics.

They have a VERY strong opportunity next console release to make it VERY impactful.

But they aren't going to do jack shit if they can make money releasing half assed shit.

Last edited:
  • 1SJW

Therage

Vyemm Raider
No shit. Man we get it Ut. You hate it. We've understood that for months now, but games keep getting released so publishers don't agree with you *edit* at least at the moment they don't.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Just in case you missed it I edited the post for more clarity. Therage, you have half a brain. Read it. All the way through, and let's have a decent non fluffed comment this time.

• 1SJW
  • 1Picard

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
so a quick search of switch sales and news comes up that its again the top selling console for the month of september. NO matter how the fuck you look at it, thats not tanking! Tanking would them being dead fucking last in sales for the month of sept.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
so a quick search of switch sales and news comes up that its again the top selling console for the month of september. NO matter how the fuck you look at it, thats not tanking! Tanking would them being dead fucking last in sales for the month of sept.

When 34% of your sales are in Japan, it's fucking tanking. If you don't realize this, I should start a seminar on why that's bad for the global market in this industry.

• 1SJW