Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I could be wrong but I seem to remember them specifically saying that they weren't going to compete in the power race for consoles any more after the GameCube. And that they are only interested in making systems that play games.

Then in that same vein, they released the Wii and Wii U and Gameboy 3DS with Netflix apps and a TV App on the Wii U. So... How is that for your confusion?

And just because they introduced the 2ds which has a huge game catalog doesn't mean devs aren't going to make switch games. And some in fact have been switching over as pointed out earlier.

And that wasn't the point. We are talking about Market confusion when merging a segmented sub market with a new device.

If I come out and show you a ton of marketing material of merging the home console and portable console, then show a slide on 3rd party publisher support from AAA game developers/publishers - any reasonable person is going to think 1) They are going to merge both platforms and consolidate/streamline development for 1st party and AAA, especially so 3rd party thinks they will have a penetrable market for both, now merged, demographics. And 2) A slide on AAA support means they are throwing their hat back in with the big boys.

What happened after?

They then launch a new portable version of the 2DS, and the Switch gets some 3rd party titles from 2011 and everyone looking at the switch is "Well wait... You just launched a new portable version, and you are releasing 7 year old games via 3rd party... what exactly do you want this thing to be??"

Now, that's borderline bait and switch with any other company, but Nintendo is so inept I will just leave it at being inept and ouch of touch with how to go to market and maintain said perception/messaging when it comes time to deliver.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
On a side note, go to a gamestop and play the demo of Mario in handheld. Have fun with that. It's CRAMPED.

There are also numerous camera issues being reported.

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
Side bar - Here is Bruuce Bruuce whenever anyone in a thread has a discussion deeper than "Plug in game... press button. Play."

I-dont-get-it2.gif

You said you werent trying to burn me you son of a bitch!

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Intropy

Shit Gamer
Yeah you wouldn't understand this. It's meant for @Man0warr and T Therage (Not trolling but you do not have the industry intelligence to understand this debate like they do, so I would suggest staying on the sidelines and you may learn something - I do not mean that as a burn)

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Utnayan's analysis. The industry intelligence is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of unrealized market segmentation and confusion most of the debate will go over a typical shit poster's head. There’s also Utnayan's autistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from over 8 distinct feature sets, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of Nintendo's market segmentation merge, to realise that its not just 2 for 11- it says something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who like the Switch truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the 82% market confusion which itself is a cryptic reference to their very own business plan as they merge the market segmentation. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Utnayan’s genius wit unfolds itself on their computer screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

• 2Worf
  • 1Smuggly
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
It actually wouldn't take much to sell me on one of these things. I never owned the Wii or the Wii U, so an actual virtual console with some of the games I've missed (Mario Galaxies, Zeldas, Xenoblades, that weird Fire Emblem x Shin Megami game, etc) would probably be enough. They released some good shit for the Wii U a that lot of people never played because lolWiiU, so you'd think they'd be leveraging that. I guess Nintendo wouldn't be Nintendo if they weren't being difficult in every fucking way conceivable, though.

• 2Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
It actually wouldn't take much to sell me on one of these things. I never owned the Wii or the Wii U, so an actual virtual console with some of the games I've missed (Mario Galaxies, Zeldas, Xenoblades, that weird Fire Emblem x Shin Megami game, etc) would probably be enough. They released some good shit for the Wii U a that lot of people never played because lolWiiU, so you'd think they'd be leveraging that. I guess Nintendo wouldn't be Nintendo if they weren't being difficult in every fucking way conceivable, though.

Bingo!

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Utnayan's analysis. The industry intelligence is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of unrealized market segmentation and confusion most of the debate will go over a typical shit poster's head. There’s also Utnayan's autistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from over 8 distinct feature sets, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of Nintendo's market segmentation merge, to realise that its not just 2 for 11- it says something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who like the Switch truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the 82% market confusion which itself is a cryptic reference to their very own business plan as they merge the market segmentation. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Utnayan’s genius wit unfolds itself on their computer screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

I’d give that entire post about a 2 out of 11.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ut just hates.

He is the hipster of hate, he did it before it was cool.

• 1Solidarity

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
One of the executives at GameFreak this week at an event said that Ultimate Sun/Moon would be the last 3DS mainline game. Atlus is moving Shin Megami Tensei and Etrian Odyssey. Intelligent Systems next mainline Fire Emblem game will be Switch exclusive. Square's next RPG will be Switch exclusive.

It is happening, it will just take time. The games still coming out for 3DS have been in the works since before anyone knew the Switch would be a success.

It needs it, still has zero games that have my interest and only really one that interests the wife. But I play a fair number of games on my 3DS

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
3DS/DS has a bunch of great games.

if It wasn’t for the split screens I would say Nintendo should have made the switch be able to play 3DS games

This would have been great. I'd love to finish Bravely Second on a bigger screen. I mean, I bought the Wii, WiiU, and 3DS, as I've mentioned prior, for specific games that I couldn't play on PC. Last Story, Xenosaga, Bravely Default, Bravely Second, Monster Hunter, Zelda. Mostly flavors of jrpgs you won't find on any other console. Even Final Fantasy has strayed so far away from its roots that I find it virtually unplayable (beyond FFX, X-2 has its charm, but lacks heavily in most areas).

I suspect Nintendo to continue to have these gems that I want to play, that you won't find on any other console. (and I don't want to fuck around with an emulator when these games are designed for playing from a couch, or on a train/bus, I've got enough shit to play when I'm sitting in my office chair at home)

Echoing what's already been said, Nintendo has a funny method of "competing". They really have since the N64, when they told Sony to fuck off. They've made some sound design choices, but poor marketing, and poor negotiating with 3rd parties to establish a solid game base, minus the Wii which had like a million games, but nothing anyone wanted to play who wasn't a fuckin 5-8 year old. Which is ironic, because I remember playing the fuck out of FF1 when I was 7-8 years old.

Pulling in old games isn't a bad choice, but when it usurps development and release of new, console specific titles, and the terrible time line on the release of titles we're all waiting to buy and play. How can you have a console out for two years before you get your suite of 1st party games out the door?

That being said, I'll probably still buy Mario and Metroid and play the ever living tits out of them. I just wonder what they'll have beyond that. Last Story, one of the best games I've ever played, came at the very end of the Wii life cycle. And I swear to fucking God I'll burn down a Nintendo building if they release a Switch+ with better hardware, and the games I want to play require it (I'm looking at you, fucking Xenosaga 2 for 3ds+!!)

• 1Like

Crisco

A greasy jar
ao
I have already been through this as to why I pay so much attention to it. Nintendo launched an early access console in a panic mode without any features and in fact, took the console itself back to 2002 with regards to basic design aside from the slip and slide mechanic. I care (Still) because I know what Nintendo could do, as it sits right in front of their faces, yet again, but people buy into their low effort shit. I want to see a console worth a shit come out of Nintendo this century before I die, and money talks. If people let Nintendo slip by with selling this type of garbage, the chances of ever seeing anything remotely worthy keeps dwindling.

And everything they need to do is SO simple and should have been done before they had a prototype. Nintendo fans putting their hands to their ears doesn't help...

But, sales are tanking now. The Demographic target is completely off kilter to sway even more 3rd party away since they know how much their products sell in Japan, so install base won't matter when they look at the percentages of target, and Nintendo will go back to the drawing board. Hopefully this next time with something that doesn't bring us back to the stone age of feature parity because their culture doesn't match 99% of the world.

In Layman's terms: A saturated (Unbalanced) Japanese market is bad for the Switch with a majority of 3rd party in mainstream. Mainstream AAA games do not sell in Japan. I am talking anything from Skyrim, LA Noire, GTA 5, Witcher 3, Evil Within 2, Divinity 2, etc. This list can go on forever.

Once these publishers break down the actual target penetration numbers, they will look at how many units have saturated their higher base of sale for their games. If 34% of that install is in Japan, you can kiss anything relevant being launched for it out the window. With that said, another issue is arising that I saw from miles away. Most AAA games do NOT translate well to portable. People want to sit on the couch, full audio, some have 4k, maybe headphones, with full comfortable controls and they WANT the best experience. Similar to how you are not going to go see the new Star Wars movie via your iphone and ear buds. So that's another issue altogether.

A 3rd issue is all this would have been fine, had they made the console powerful enough to GIVE that experience for AAA games while docked, with an option to just bring it around. The portable option could then fall flat on battery life and control (Which it is anyway) as long as it was only a side gimmick not to be taken seriously with the docked experience which gives a full experience rivaling today's consoles.

Their 1st party market is growing up quickly. I can ask a 5 year old who Mario is and they don't have the first fucking clue, and the older market is becoming disenfranchised with the industry as a whole because of shit that Warner Brothers and EA are pulling with P2W mechanics.

They have a VERY strong opportunity next console release to make it VERY impactful.

But they aren't going to do jack shit if they can make money releasing half assed shit.
so your butthurt. Got it

• 1Salty
  • 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Crisco

A greasy jar
When 34% of your sales are in Japan, it's fucking tanking. If you don't realize this, I should start a seminar on why that's bad for the global market in this industry.
you said it many times, who gives a fuck about japan. You just Utnauan'ed yourself

• 1Picard

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
you said it many times, who gives a fuck about japan. You just Utnauan'ed yourself

He has Utnauan'ed this whole entire thread with every post he makes being the same recycled garbage message since page 1. and doesn't even own or play a switch.

Frankly it's spam. I think he legit has some obsessive compulsive disorder related to Nintendo and this thread specifically, because while being annoying in other threads, he at least at times has something to contribute.

• 2Solidarity

Therage

Vyemm Raider
Hey Ut where are you getting the consumer confusion about what this system is supposed to do? I mean, I don't understand where your drawing this conclusion from. In all seriousness, when it launched my impression was sweet a system that can be portable or on my TV. Didnt seem complicated at all. Although I will say the multi-player games with joycons was and is laughable.

As far as the other devices having Netflix, etc I know. I swear during the launch event they mentioned going back to their roots of just being a gaming machine not an entertainment machine. Could be wrong. But again doesn't matter to me personally I have at least 10 devices that can Netflix or Hulu. Don't need another one personally, and again I know I'm not the only one who's opinion matters on that.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
But again doesn't matter to me personally I have at least 10 devices that can Netflix or Hulu. Don't need another one personally, and again I know I'm not the only one who's opinion matters on that.

True that, personally i really needed a stardew valley machine with loading times that make me wonder when its going to ask me to insert disk 14.

• 1Worf

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Hey Ut where are you getting the consumer confusion about what this system is supposed to do? I mean, I don't understand where your drawing this conclusion from. In all seriousness, when it launched my impression was sweet a system that can be portable or on my TV. Didnt seem complicated at all. Although I will say the multi-player games with joycons was and is laughable.

Because of mix'd messaging. Reggie comes out to say it's a home console. NOJ says it's a portable console. Along with people huddling around a 7 Inch tablet on a coffee table playing local coop with tiny little controllers (They seriously marketed that as you know... who in there right minds would think that's a thing?) So the market itself doesn't know if it is supposed to be a console replacement, a 3DS replacement, or some new gimmick, or all three. Again I am not talking about you and I, I am talking about the average joe who may see ads and wonder ok.... well my kid already has a 3DS... My kid already has a PS4... Is this supposed to replace both?

As far as the other devices having Netflix, etc I know. I swear during the launch event they mentioned going back to their roots of just being a gaming machine not an entertainment machine. Could be wrong. But again doesn't matter to me personally I have at least 10 devices that can Netflix or Hulu. Don't need another one personally, and again I know I'm not the only one who's opinion matters on that.

Yeah I should mention that should be the farthest thing on the totem pole to worry about as well. Considering everything else they need to concentrate on first to put this system in to a launchable state from a feature set stand point. Even the most basic of things as save game back up, VC, maybe a new revision that allows actual bluetooth (Didn't the 3DS even have this? I cannot remember honesty.)

The system features made significant progress on the Wii U. Only to take about 3 steps back with the Switch. The company just doesn't make any sense.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
well my kid already has a 3DS... My kid already has a PS4... Is this supposed to replace both?

It replaces the WiiU, not the PS4. There's that confusing moniker that Nintendo is in anyway directly competing with Sony or Microsoft. They're only competing with their previous selves.