Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Bought the Mario Bundle today. Was going to cancel it for reasons discussed in detail in this thread, then the wife saw a mario add and said "hey that looks fun, i would play some games with you if you had stuff like that "

So far the hardware is pretty solid. How s Mario? Don't know, wife has not put it down yet so I have not tried it. She has never once played on my ps4 so I am trying to nurture any gaming interest.

Mario is pretty great, it really is "5 more minutes" the video game to me. I'm always meaning to put it down, and then I end up playing for another 3 hours trying to hunt all the moons I've missed.

Definitely a contender for my personal GOTY so far, but obviously I'm only like 3-4 hours in right now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Picked it up yesterday at midnight, been playing it ever since. It's amazing. I didn't think anything would come close to BOTW, but this does. I put almost 60 hours into Zelda, I could see myself almost doubling that playing this game.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider

Forgot this was the guy who gave botw a 7/10, which caused shit to get real.

• 1Worf

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
Ok, how's this instead. If Zelda came out tomorrow with a 4k patch for the Switch the same people defending low resolution, diminishing returns, etc. would be shitting themselves over how much better it looked. They certainly wouldn't be still clinging to the same tired arguments that people have been using for the last 20 years.

Not one single person has claimed Zelda wouldn't benefit from a higher resolution. At this point you're just arguing with a strawman while contuining to hold to the retarded notion that increasing resolution always makes for a better image. That's like saying a car with a top speed of 250MPH is great while one that only goes 230MPH is piece of shit because faster is always better. One person out of ten thousand might actually be in a position to see a benefit from the faster car. I look forward to five years from now when you're laughing at the titanic pixels on your new 8k smartphone.

And I'd be thrilled to play Zelda at 4k and 60fps without having to use a PC emulator. The fact that I can't doesn't mean that the game looks like shit. It doesn't. It boasts a few crap textures and isn't as sharp as Wolfenstein on PC. What garbage.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Titanic pixels at 8K on a phone? You hit your head? You have that backwards. Is that why you're sticking to this retarded argument, you don't know how this shit works?

Increasing resolution does always result in a better image, what kind of dumb shit are you on? It's literally what happens when you increase resolution, the image gets better...lol. And fuck off with the stupid car analogy because 10000 out of 10000 people would see an improvement in Zelda with a higher resolution, not just one. The Switch isn't running at 230, it's a Yugo running at 45 on the fucking autobahn. Theres a hell of a lot of room for it to be better without getting to the point where improvement would be unnecessary or unnoticed. The fact that the Xbone, PS4, PS4 Pro, the X, and the PC all improve on the former is proof of that fact that diminishing returns aren't even remotely a concern.

• 1Solidarity

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
The main issue for me is that Zelda was obviously designed with better hardware in mind, or it wouldn't have details you can't see on the switch.

I guess even the Zelda dev team expected more hardware wise ..

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
That's like saying a car with a top speed of 250MPH is great while one that only goes 230MPH is piece of shit because faster is always better. One person out of ten thousand might actually be in a position to see a benefit from the faster car.

That sure is a shitty analogy if I ever saw one.

People drive their car at top speed about 0% of the time, what % of the time do gamers watch the graphics?

Hilarious.

• 1Solidarity

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
Holy shit you two are fucking special.

Titanic pixels at 8K on a phone? You hit your head? You have that backwards.

No kidding. That's the point, genius. An 8k smartphone would be just as pointless as a 16k smartphone because modern high end phones are already sharp beyond the ability of human vision to resolve individual pixels with the naked eye at anything resembling a normal viewing distance. Yet according to you and Punko a 16k phone would be better than an 8k phone because more resolution is always better. /facepalm

Increasing resolution does always result in a better image, what kind of dumb shit are you on? It's literally what happens when you increase resolution, the image gets better...lol. And fuck off with the stupid car analogy because 10000 out of 10000 people would see an improvement in Zelda with a higher resolution, not just one. The Switch isn't running at 230, it's a Yugo running at 45 on the fucking autobahn. Theres a hell of a lot of room for it to be better without getting to the point where improvement would be unnecessary or unnoticed. The fact that the Xbone, PS4, PS4 Pro, the X, and the PC all improve on the former is proof of that fact that diminishing returns aren't even remotely a concern.

You sure are wasting a lot of time arguing with that strawman again when you could be playing Mario.

• 1Picard

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>

He's a moron though to be fair. Everything he does is for clicks, and he docks 2 points off any Nintendo games because he doesn't like Nintendo.

• 1Picard

Ritley

Karazhan Raider

Dude is retarded, give that faggot a Kirby game and he will have an orgasm for hours straight though.

Just looking at his scores on some past games and compare some of them that are higher than he gave Zelda and his score was obviously for clicks

• 1Worf

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
You sure are wasting a lot of time arguing with that strawman again when you could be playing Mario.

Everything in the post you quoted is a rebuttal to things you fucking said in this thread, which btw, is polar fucking opposite of a strawman.

You're literally saying shit, and then calling it a strawman when I directly reply to those statements. Do you have brain damage? Cry strawman all day long, faggot, your posts are proof you're full of shit.

He's a moron though to be fair. Everything he does is for clicks, and he docks 2 points off any Nintendo games because he doesn't like Nintendo.

I can't stand his voice and schtick, but this review isn't even real and he's given multiple Switch games 8.5 to 9, so unless your scale goes higher than 10 he's not docking anything.

• 1Solidarity

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
Everything in the post you quoted is a rebuttal to things you fucking said in this thread, which btw, is polar fucking opposite of a strawman.

You're literally saying shit, and then calling it a strawman when I directly reply to those statements. Do you have brain damage? Cry strawman all day long, faggot, your posts are proof you're full of shit.

I see we still have work to do to address illiteracy on FOH.org.

Here, I'll simplify my repeatedly-stated positions to bring aid to those who posses the reading comprehension skills of a sleepy first grader:

• Zelda rendered at 900p at display sizes typical of consumer TVs does not remotely look like shit (or "eye bleed material") at normal viewing distances despite some poor textures and mediocre anti-aliasing.
  • Zelda, while looking great already, would look even better if it was rendered at 1080p or beyond.
  • Despite a meager improvement in perceived sharpness, Zelda does not look better in handheld mode when compared to a high quality large-screen HDTV due to a variety of factors stated previously in this thread.
  • The benefits of continuously increasing resolution ad infinitum will always be hampered by diminishing returns, eventually reaching beyond a human's visual ability to discern them at all. This can occur at 720p, 1080p, 4k or beyond depending on screen size versus viewing distance versus the visual acuity of the viewer. Here is an imperfect but helpful chart that illustrates this concept: http://lowtek.ca/roo/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/resolution_chart.png
Just look at all of those wild contradictions.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
This whole argument started because you somehow think blowing up a low resolution on a much larger screen equates to a better picture, which is ridiculous. Then you gave me the cinemaphile contrast ratio is the end all be all line, not realizing that games and movies are completely different animals, and for the wtf trifecta you tossed in a diminishing returns argument about the weakest fucking home console on the market.

Here's the reality, increasing pixel count from 921,600 across 16.2sq inches, the size of the Switch screen, to 1.4mil (at best because Zelda drops to 810p docked for much of the game) across 1807sq inches, the size of a 65 inch television, does not improve the IQ.

Contrast while being the most important part of IQ in movies doesn't have the impact in games as resolution until the upper reaches of resolution, of which 810p-900p isn't it. Go play any of the games that Microsoft just released on the backwards compatibility list. The resolution bump makes a fucking dramatic difference, texture filtering makes a dramatic difference, better contrast ratio without either of those things and no one would know the difference. Perfect blacks don't mean a whole lot with jagged edges, shimmering, and blurry textures, something BotW has in spades. Seriously, run around anywhere with grass, it's awful.

Lastly, as long as there are more powerful gaming systems that show drastically improved IQ through higher resolutions, the diminishing returns argument is absurd. I don't even understand how you think it would remotely apply to a Switch game considering its power is closer to the 360 than it is to the Xbone and the Xbone is easily outclassed by everything but the Switch.

Perfect blacks are awesome, OLEDs kick ass and I love mine, but I'd play Zelda @4K on my LED before I'd play it at 900p on my OLED every time, and so would the overwhelming majority of people.

But whatever, this conversation has run its course. (Finally, says everyone reading this thread)

• 1Solidarity

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
This whole argument started because you somehow think blowing up a low resolution on a much larger screen equates to a better picture, which is ridiculous.

It started because you responded to a retarded comment about Zelda being a top tier title graphically by going full retard in the other direction. But whatever. And no, I don't think blowing up a low resolution image to a much larger screen improves the picture...everything else being equal. That would, in fact, be a fucking stupid assertion to make. However, everything else is not equal when we're kicking up that image to a far superior device.

I've played hours of Zelda, Mario Kart and Odyssey both in handheld mode and on my 64" TV. Despite your pixel arithmetic, the perceived drop in resolution, while certainly noticeable, is rather minimal, and in no way overshadows the other very perceptible improvements in PQ afforded by the TV. It's a clear and immediate difference to the TV's advantage. I've seen it over and over again in my own home. I couldn't imagine anyone else making the same comparison and favoring the Switch's screen. It would as baffling to me as some one claiming that Kathy Bates is hotter than Taylor Swift because she has bigger tits.

Obviously 4k Zelda on the TV would be highly preferable to Zelda at 900p on the TV. Both would be/are better than Zelda in handheld mode. 900p with Zelda isn't fantastic but it doesn't look like shit, either.

And contrast performance absolutey can affect games in significant ways. We're not talking SMB 1 here. It's why I can load up the same games on my Galaxy S8+ and my iPhone 6S (work phone) and notice a clear advantage with the S8 despite virtually identical perceived resolution.

Anyway, yes, enough of this faggotry. It's been more than five posts since Ut has informed everyone of how many Switches are in stock at his local Wal Mart, so we're clearly way off track.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Smuggly
Reactions: 3 users

Darph

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Finished my first play through, loved the game! Couldn’t put it down.

1C4CF1CE-387B-4E38-B765-F0FF3222D9D4.jpeg

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just stop arguing with these broke boys who can't afford to drop a measly few hundy on the switch. Everyone knows there ain't shit for games, it's not innovative at all and the resolution could be better etc etc. Despite all that shit everyone who owns one has no regrets whatsoever because Zelda and Mario are that good. You're not going to convince switch owners with your faggot gobbledygook

• 2Picard