Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
Well, I'm no man to judge, you enjoy your very high contrast pixels that are the size of a quarter.

You know, you're right. I've been doing this all wrong for years. Bros, I'm gonna throw a Blu Ray party at my place. I'm gonna stream everything to my Switch so that we can get maximum sharpness! Lol at that stupid big screen TV with its dinosaur pixels.

Oh man this is gonna be awesome. I can't wait to fire up the Lord of the Rings extended versions and splooge onto tiny Frodo in all his super-sharp glory. Hope you all can make it.

• 2Worf
  • 1Picard
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
I complain about anti-aliasing and texture quality in Zelda and some fuckwad tells me 720p doesn't look bad on a 65 inch screen and spouts off about shit (contrast) that has literally zero impact on textures or anti-aliasing.

Makes sense.

Contrast setting? I'm talking about contrast ratio, which is, you know, the single most important aspect of picture quality, period. And any truly high end TV is going to blow away the Switch's screen in contrast. I never said the difference between 720p and 4k can't be massive, just that a large improvement in contrast makes more of a difference to overall quality..

This whole paragraph is bullshit when talking about games, btw.

Contrast ratio is (very) important but things like anti-aliasing, resolution, etc. make for a better overall image quality in video games. Horizon, for example, is a much better looking game on an X800D @CB4K on the Pro than it is on the regular PS4, on any tv, at 1080p. According to you it should be the other way around, right? Contrast is the end all be all, right? Wrong! Zelda @4K on my PC monitor shits all over whatever IQ you think you're getting on your OLED, even with your tv's vastly superior picture quality.

The difference between 720p and 4k is vastly more impactful to the way the game looks than the difference in contrast ratio between a Switch screen and a decent tv. And the bigger the screen the bigger the difference becomes.

Basically, you're full of shit and no amount of money spent on a television can erase the low resolution, poor textures, and massive shimering in BotW, which is why the smaller the screen you play it on the better it looks and also why looks better in handheld mode than blown up to 65 inchs to further expose these faults. Contrast doesn't address any of the issues I've mentioned, which it's why it's so fucking hilarious you wanna die on this hill.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
No, contrast doesn't address any of those issues you just mentioned, and I never claimed that it did. What I did claim from the beginning is that none of those issues cause the game to be "eye bleed material", which was your initial assertion in response to another grossly exaggerated description of how totally amazing the game looks.

And I still completely maintain that it looks better on the TV than it does on the Switch's screen. On the TV the image is less muddy, boasts more depth and "pop", has richer and better saturated colors, has improved motion/less blur, and while I agree that some of the more wonky textures look shittier when blown up (duh), jaggies are actually LESS prominent on the big TV. Why? I don't know, but if I had to guess I'd say Nintendo built in some extra edge enhancement to the Switch's screen itself, which if true would exaggerate and over-sharpen artifacts like jaggies. All of that shit is turned down/off on each my TVs. And of course none of those qualities touch on the extra level of immersion you'll enjoy with a much larger screen.

And finally, in your obsession with resolution you haven't mentioned the diminishing returns you get as you climb up the scale, particularly in normal consumer-sized TVs and where you're not plastered against the screen like with a PC monitor. For example, the perceived improvement in going from 480p to 720p is much greater than it is in going from 720p to 1080p, and I'd say even in going from 720p to 4k. More is better of course, but eventually higher resolution gives way to your own vision's limitations and you'll hit a brick wall beyond which extra pixels ain't doin' shit.

Last edited:
  • 3Solidarity

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Ah, the old diminishing returns argument. Like, I said your arguments are the same arguments people were making when dvds came out, when 1080p tvs came out, when 4k came out. Anyone who has been playing PC games for the last 25 years knows this argument is a farce along the lines of "the human eye can't see more than 30 fps".

You're literally copying of the dumb shit people who had 720p tvs used to say about 1080p, the same dumb shit leople say about 4k now, and the same dumb shit people will say about 8k in the future, and it has always been factually incorrect.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
Just because people had dumb, exaggerated shit to say about it over the years doesn't make the fact that resolution is a game of diminishing returns any less true. I've been playing computer games since 1983. I know what resolution can do on a screen that is two feet away from you. It's much less drastic of an issue on large displays because most people will not be sitting on top of them. I personally never bothered to buy a 720p set, but I've owned plenty of SD screens, 1080p and 4k and watch a lot of broadcast/cable TV and a good chunk of that comes in over a 720p signal. The jump from SD to 720p/1080p was massive. The jump from 720p/1080p to 4k while certainly noticeable is not nearly as significant on typical consumer-sized televisions. This isn't a difficult concept to grasp. Can you see the pixel structure of your 1080p TV from your couch? No? Then jumping up to 4k alone is not going to be a gamer changer at the same screen size. Yes? Go for it.

• 1Barf
  • 1Solidarity

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Ah, the old diminishing returns argument. Like, I said your arguments are the same arguments people were making when dvds came out, when 1080p tvs came out, when 4k came out. Anyone who has been playing PC games for the last 25 years knows this argument is a farce along the lines of "the human eye can't see more than 30 fps".

You're literally copying of the dumb shit people who had 720p tvs used to say about 1080p, the same dumb shit leople say about 4k now, and the same dumb shit people will say about 8k in the future, and it has always been factually incorrect.
All you do is exaggerate.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
the game looks fine, given the severe limitations of the hardware

this is a screenshot with a 4k graphics pack, emulated on PC though;

zelda247k7f.png

unfortunately the essence of the story is that the switch is a shitbox, and even the best games will only look so-so on it

has anyone not on PC ever seen how an incomplete heart has thin lines seperating the parts? pretty sure it simply can't be seen on the switch due to its low res

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I'm glad people are filling Ut's shit-up-the-thread shoes while he's on break.

• 6Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 8 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Probably the most anticipated game the system will have just came out today, check the thread and it’s a bunch of nerds arguing contrast ratio, anti-aliasing, and resolution.

• 3Worf

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>

tell me why it isn't regrettable that emulated BoTW is a better experience compared to native?

they invested a lot of time from a lot of good people, to make a game for a shitty platform

its like star citizen launching for the megadrive, A+++ game but the platform just doesn't allow perfection

• 1Solidarity

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
i don't think someone added the vertical line splitting the halves of the heart at random, BoTW was designed for a higher resolution / better hardware

the fact that gfx packs for the emulator are both easy to find and improve gfx by a lot makes it obvious that given better hardware, BoTW would have looked a lot better

• 2Picard

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
i don't think someone added the vertical line splitting the halves of the heart at random, BoTW was designed for a higher resolution / better hardware

the fact that gfx packs for the emulator are both easy to find and improve gfx by a lot makes it obvious that given better hardware, BoTW would have looked a lot better
Every game given better hardware will look better. Nice detective work Columbo.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Delly

Trakanon Raider
So the new Mario is good. I could feel myself losing track of time so I had to put it down. Lots of collectibles and semi-hidden things.

• 3Like

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
tell me why it isn't regrettable that emulated BoTW is a better experience compared to native?

they invested a lot of time from a lot of good people, to make a game for a shitty platform

its like star citizen launching for the megadrive, A+++ game but the platform just doesn't allow perfection
Show me a game that doesn't look better on the PC via emulators.

• 1Like

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
A lot of games can't be emulated, so any of those.
No, those wouldn't be a relevant part of this discussion. If an emulation developer put as much time that has gone into BOTW into any other game it would be running at a 4k resolution at a higher FPS.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Every game given better hardware will look better. Nice detective work Columbo.

Ok, how's this instead. If Zelda came out tomorrow with a 4k patch for the Switch the same people defending low resolution, diminishing returns, etc. would be shitting themselves over how much better it looked. They certainly wouldn't be still clinging to the same tired arguments that people have been using for the last 20 years.

And it's not this thread derails fault people aren't talking about Mario. There is a thread just for the game and even it's dead. Either people are too busy playing or no one cares enough to post.

• 1Solidarity

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Bought the Mario Bundle today. Was going to cancel it for reasons discussed in detail in this thread, then the wife saw a mario add and said "hey that looks fun, i would play some games with you if you had stuff like that "

So far the hardware is pretty solid. How s Mario? Don't know, wife has not put it down yet so I have not tried it. She has never once played on my ps4 so I am trying to nurture any gaming interest.