Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Nintendo has increased their sales forecast of Switch sales for this fiscal year (April 17 - April 18) from 10 to 14 million, at this morning's earnings briefing. Means it could pass the Wii U lifetime sales in less than a year.

Switch is at 7.63 million units sold worldwide as of September 30th. Which puts it well over 8 million heading into Black Friday and Christmas.

They shipped 1.7 million SNES Classic for launch day in North America. No official sales numbers worldwide since launch was on the last day of the fiscal quarter, won't know officially until the next briefing. I believe they sold a total of 2.3 million NES Classic by March of 2017 before production ended - so they definitely ramped up supply for the SNES Classic, and it's not even the Holidays yet.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Switch is at 7.63 million units sold worldwide as of September 30th.

Breaking my hiatus for ONE MAJOR correction.

That's 7.63 million SHIPPED. Not sold through. And over 2.93 million of that number were SHIPPED in July-Sep. Once again, not sold through.

Microsoft pulled this same bullshit smoke and mirrors gag with the XBox One.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I mean all the press clearly says sales, not shipped. Nintendo has never used such wording for 3DS, Wii U, etc so not sure why it would be different for Switch.

Even if it is shipped, it's been sold to consumers at this point as all the major retailers are still getting restockings. Best Buy has requested like half a million units for the Holiday season alone.

Some Switch first party software numbers:

ZBotW - 4.7M
MK8D - 4.42M
Splatoon 2 - 3.61M
1-2 Switch - 1.37M
ARMS - 1.35M

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Nintendo Q2 financial results (FY3/2018) – Switch at 7.63 million """shipped"""" total

And no, it hasn't been all sold through to customers at this point because 2.93 million units shipped July - September, and you can find one of these anywhere in the US by walking into a store and see countless on the shelves now. Can even order them next day on Amazon and have been able to for about a month.

Actual sold through numbers to date hover around 5.6 million units. With about 2 million units sitting on shelves. And over 50% of the sales are in Japan only. Considering just coming back from Hiatus at this point because there is a Mario thread to actually discuss the game that I do not have to visit.

Keep the news real, and let's have normalized discussion about it without the fluffed bullshit which we both know is PR propaganda and smoke and mirrors wording. Yes, I fully expect Nintendo to sell more units now that Mario is out. No, in no way shape or form have they sold through 7+ million units, and in no way shape or form is there a shortage any longer.

Last edited:

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Why do you hate Nintendo so much? Just wondering why people feel so tribal when it comes to console wars.

Like you're not even wrong, but you really revel in it.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Why do you hate Nintendo so much? Just wondering why people feel so tribal when it comes to console wars.

Like you're not even wrong, but you really revel in it.

I do not hate Nintendo at all. When Microsoft was spinning the same garbage with the X1, I called them out on that as well. I hate the outlandish misleading articles spun to consumers in clever viral ways to drive sales outside of focusing on the value of the console.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
There's not 2 million Switches sitting on shelves throughout the world. If there was, they wouldn't still be making and shipping more - nor would retailers be requesting them.

They had confirmed to have SOLD nearly 5 million units at the end of July. So you are saying in the 3 months since all of that stock they sent to stores has sat unsold on store shelves and warehouses.

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
I kind of agree with Utnayan in that if they focused on getting a solid online platform and opening up the switch to all Nintendo games it would be wayyy better. I mean why the hell are they not moving towards a unified single system here? Seems like a gold mine to me.

That said I purchased a Switch a few days ago for Mario and Zelda, and I am loving it. It is very nice being able to play on the move, or stand it by our kitchen and BS with my wife while she makes dinner, etc. The system is definitely under powered, but I mean does anyone really give a shit? I still load up SNES games regularly. I really can't even remember a time where I have been playing a solid game like Zelda or the Last of Us where I just couldn't enjoy it because it wasn't enough graphically, and that really dates back to the old days of NES/SNES honestly.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Of course it would be better. No one is arguing that the Switch wouldn't be better with modern online account systems, parties, matchmaking, and Virtual Console. But it's obvious that Nintendo prioritized launching the hardware before the Holidays to get it in the hands of early adopters, along with good games steadily releasing in the launch window. Instead of waiting on the software devs to finish fleshing out the Switch's OS, which isn't going to gain or lose them any sales in the short term. In lieu of Virtual Console on Switch, they had a small team in Europe (NERD) develop two Classic emulators in nostalgia boxes that are selling in the millions.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
That said I purchased a Switch a few days ago for Mario and Zelda, and I am loving it. It is very nice being able to play on the move, or stand it by our kitchen and BS with my wife while she makes dinner, etc. The system is definitely under powered, but I mean does anyone really give a shit? I still load up SNES games regularly. I really can't even remember a time where I have been playing a solid game like Zelda or the Last of Us where I just couldn't enjoy it because it wasn't enough graphically, and that really dates back to the old days of NES/SNES honestly.

Yeah I've warmed up to the hybrid nature of the Switch after buying one a few weeks ago. I find myself playing it docked and undocked, in bed or on the couch, kitchen etc. We aren't gonna get something on the level of HZD graphics wise but stuff looks nice enough on it. Screen is a lot better that that shit 3DS screen heh.

spronk

FPS noob
ZnFEjcC.jpg

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
From their English press release document:

While about 7 million units of Nintendo Switch hardware have been delivered into the hands of our consumers around the world, we estimate that the global sellthrough of Super Mario Odyssey has already exceeded 2 million units in just its first 3 days.

So that's at least 7 million Switch sold through to consumers. I'll bet Odyssey gets 75-80% attach rate by the end of the Holidays.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
From their English press release document:

So that's at least 7 million Switch sold through to consumers. I'll bet Odyssey gets 75-80% attach rate by the end of the Holidays.

Which is fucking hilarious because In the actual press release you can add up the graph outlines and it places them roughly at 5.9 million sold through (estimated). But hey, round that up a few times and that’s over 7 million!

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
What's more likely?

A) There are 2 million Nintendo Switch sitting unsold on store shelves across the world or sitting in warehouses, despite Nintendo upping their sales forecast by 4 million and scaling up production.

OR

B) You can't read a graph and/or the graphs are a generalization to show growth for shareholders and Nintendo has actually sold over 7 million Switch to consumers as they say they have.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Wow. The graphs are actual numbers sold through up through September 30th. You are saying they sold over 1.1 million Switches in October? Come on, you of all people are not this fucking dense or obtuse. And Nintendo plays the supply and demand game as their marketing gimmick and you know it. Get off it. I can forecast I'll drink 40 beers this weekend knowing I'll have 3 fingers of Glenlivet.

And yeah, I would say there are over 2 million on shelves across the world. Christ, look at the US alone here pal.

Live Stock Map and Notifications | iStockNow

This isn't hard.

You believe fluffed BS corporate Nintendo garbage marketing gimmicks, I believe these little things called actual hard cold facts. Do you have Mary Poppin's pin ups all over your house too?

Last edited: