Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

spronk

FPS noob
spronk spronk or anyone, what's the latest with hacking the Switch? After spending money on all those full priced games above, I figure there's not really a point in running CFW? I did it for my 3DS, and just checked and I'm not banned. I can connect to my friends list just fine.

Looks like my Switch shipped on 4.1.x firmware, or something similar to that. Does CFW allow for unlimited downloads of any games like the 3DS or is it more limited? What does CFW get me?

all new switches ship with 4.1 so that doesn't really tell you much. If you bought it in the USA anything that is XAW1007800X or below is safe, anything XAW1012000X or above is not safe. I bought a new one in mid Dec and it was like XAW1015xxxx and came with 4.1 and was not hackable. If you already upgraded to 6.2 your system is definitely not hackable (for now) either.

I hacked an older switch earlier and it was fun and cool but it felt kinda pointless, since I definitely want to do stuff like play diablo 3, mario kart 8 online or smash online. Also there are so few great switch games imo that I don't really think hacking it is that worthwhile from a $ perspective unless you are broke and stuff. The switch hack scene is also really ugly from a usability standpoint, getting patches onto the system can be painful and people have released ROMs that brick switches so its like the old days of downloading PC warez that infect your PC with aids.

to me the tier 1/2 list of switch games is pretty short

tier 1
BOTW, MK8D, Smash Ultimate, Super Mario Odyssey, SMBU, Diablo 3

tier 2
Mario Rabbids, Rayman Legends, Sonic, DKTF, Bayonetta12, Rocket League

Indies
Stardew Valley, Hollow Knight, Undertale, Celeste, Yoku's Island Express, Shovel Knight

and honestly you can get by with just really 4-5 of those games.

Gamestop has a b2g1f going on starting tomorrow too for all physical games if you wanna beef up the collection.

Last edited:

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Sadly, Nintendo actually added Game "Authorization" via there Online server, you can't download 3ds/switch games(right now, I've heard rumors that some group has figured a way, but nothing has come of it yet.)

You can still download WiiU games from Nintendo though(sense it's dead too Nintendo, they never updated the store for it)

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Gamestop has a b2g1f going on starting tomorrow too for all physical games if you wanna beef up the collection
Pretty sure that's going on right now?

I'm a little salty at myself for not seeing it, and of the games I got, I could have saved $80 and gotten another game compared to what I got buying all brand new.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Word also has it there is a price drop for the system coming up since they are falling short of expectations for units sold in 2018.

Rude

Potato del Grande
Pretty sure that's going on right now?

I'm a little salty at myself for not seeing it, and of the games I got, I could have saved $80 and gotten another game compared to what I got buying all brand new.
You're better off using facebook marketplace or the phone sale apps unless you live in the middle of nowhere. Even with that deal GS prices are stupidly overpriced.

Crone

You're better off using facebook marketplace or the phone sale apps unless you live in the middle of nowhere. Even with that deal GS prices are stupidly overpriced.
You are right. I'm glad I got the games I got, as they are all great games, but I'm having a bit of buyers remorse at how I just went ham and bought them all instead of looking for better deals.

Won't make that mistake again!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I have not had to pay full price for a Switch game yet - between Best Buy running specials (rarely) and getting GCU discount on top of that, and grabbing Skyrim and DIII when they were digital discounts, I’ve got all the “tier I” games at $40 or less. So I have the 3DS and Wii U hacked, but support Nintendo via Switch games.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Visited the in laws for Xmas with our new switch and a copy of Mario Kart 8, hoping to link up and do 4 on each console as they have the same setup. I figured you can do 4 on split screen normally, but for some stupid reason, you can only do 2 per Switch console when doing a LAN party type setup. No clue what that's about. Ended up just doing 4x4 but not linked up ;\ Missed opportunity there.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Those aren't viable sources though, they're guesses. There were the exact same guesses at the end of 2017.
You asked for a citation on a “word is” post. That’s the citation. Whether you choose to believe the word is accurate is your own deal

• 1Potato

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
One of the sources is Pachter too, lol.
Sources for the projected sales are average projections of Nintendo, ACE, Credit Suisse, Goldman Sachs, Jefferies, JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, Wedbush, William O'Neil. “Not viable sources”

Vorph

Ok, "one of the people 'analyzing' the sources is Pachter, lol".

I mean, it's a console going into its third year and due for a hardware refresh or whatever the Switch version of the XL is going to be so I would expect a price drop too. So it's entirely possible this is one of his 'broken clock is right' moments, but still.

And mostly I just got a good laugh out of that second article referring to him as "legendary video game industry analyst". I guess legendary is one word for it, not the first I'd pick though. Especially when it comes to his track record with Nintendo.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
wait, I can be a Belmont in the new smash?!
Ya, they have both Simon and Richter Belmont

Fuck yeah!

200.webp

• 1Like

Crone

Called Gamestop and asked about returns. I couldn't remember their return policy. If it's still in package, I can return them. I've opened them all, so I'm stuck. I feel like game carts (karts?) are more durable than discs, and so I have no issues getting used games, and will be doing that in the future to save money on future Switch games.

Mario Kart is Mario Kart and super fun, especially with the kids. I'm so used to single player games on my Ps4, it was refreshing to play a local MP game.
Super Smash is interesting. Pretty fun fighting game, and not super complicated. I can see the appeal, and I look forward to putting more hours into it.
Pokemon Let's Go is weird, but I've never really played another Pokemon before. I had to Google a beginners guide because I didn't know if I was really supposed to just keep catching shit or not.
Diablo is Diablo and done really well I think. I'm a huge Diablo fan, for better or worse, and having a portable version is fantastic. Will for sure be rolling up something come the new season!

I haven't touched Super Mario Odyssey or Zelda yet, but I suspect both of them are fantastic. On my radar is Bayonetta 2, Octopath Traveler, and Super Mario Deluxe Ultimate or whatever. Fun!

Vorph

I get mine from Gamefly since every game I wanted to play is still the same price it was on release day, and the used price at GS is -$5. At least if I decide to keep something I rent I save $20-25, and in the case of, say, Bayonetta 2 I will still get the code for Bayonetta 1 digital.

Heian

Molten Core Raider
Finished the adventure of Lolo on the switch's NES library today. I remembered it has a great game but I was surprise how well that game hold up to this day.