No posts about Pokemon Snap, fuck all y'all
POKIMANE.jpg

Happy now?

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
nice, we need a new one. My kids have dropped/stepped on ours so many times the screen is like a spiderweb.

• 1Rustled
Reactions: 1 user

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I think they are in a tough spot. The current Switch is, tech-wise, inferior to a standard PS4. The PS5 is out. There is no way they can bridge that gap at a $299 price point.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
What open world games are there on switch that’s appropriate for kids? My 6yo has basically platinumed Zelda: BotW and is finally bored with it after playing it obsessively all year. I got him Age of Calamity but he’s not into as much, doesn’t really get the “go around the map and do quests” angle of it like he did with botw. So I’m guessing another good open worlder may be up his alley.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I think they are in a tough spot. The current Switch is, tech-wise, inferior to a standard PS4. The PS5 is out. There is no way they can bridge that gap at a $299 price point.
They’ve shown they don’t need to be cutting edge with a handheld, I don’t think they even need to try to compete with a ps5.

• 1Like

elidib

Vyemm Raider
What open world games are there on switch that’s appropriate for kids? My 6yo has basically platinumed Zelda: BotW and is finally bored with it after playing it obsessively all year. I got him Age of Calamity but he’s not into as much, doesn’t really get the “go around the map and do quests” angle of it like he did with botw. So I’m guessing another good open worlder may be up his alley.
Try xenoblade chronicles

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Saw those, look a little too mature for him. Maybe Skyward Sword. Not open world but Zelda adventure at least. He likes links awakening a lot so doesn’t necessarily need to be open world. Probably wait for botw 2 in that genre.

Well never mind that’s not out til July. Maybe smash bros or Mario odyssey then.

spronk

FPS noob
make him a man and get him witcher 3

he might really like dragon quest builders, its like lite RPG + minecraft. animal crossing is pretty DIY fun too for kids. Dragon Quest XI is great but super long but has a vibe similar to BOTW

ShakyJake

<Donor>
They’ve shown they don’t need to be cutting edge with a handheld, I don’t think they even need to try to compete with a ps5.
Well, I don't give a shit about handheld mode. What I want to see is a BotW and sequels running 60fps at 4K.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Well, I don't give a shit about handheld mode. What I want to see is a BotW and sequels running 60fps at 4K.
I agree, but my kid doesn’t. I set him up a sweet couch + flatscreen in our loft specifically for his switch. He will pull it out and play HH mode while sitting on that couch with the tv off. My point was they’ve shown they can be underpowered and it’ll still print money.

It would be awesome to have a HH with the power and graphics of a ps5 but it isn’t going to happen, they’re always going to be behind big beefy consoles.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I agree, but my kid doesn’t. I set him up a sweet couch + flatscreen in our loft specifically for his switch. He will pull it out and play HH mode while sitting on that couch with the tv off. My point was they’ve shown they can be underpowered and it’ll still print money.

It would be awesome to have a HH with the power and graphics of a ps5 but it isn’t going to happen, they’re always going to be behind big beefy consoles.
I realize Nintendo is doing just fine financially... But why don't they just forget about the hardware and develope their games for all platforms? Wouldn't that yield potentially higher returns?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I realize Nintendo is doing just fine financially... But why don't they just forget about the hardware and develope their games for all platforms? Wouldn't that yield potentially higher returns?
Yeah I’ve been wanting them to do this forever and they just don’t and I’m not sure they ever will unless they would have a couple console flops in a row to put them in a financial bind. Their consoles do so well I’m not sure if they’d make more or less doing it that way. They also get to control their prices the way they do it now. Their games stay $50-60 forever. I’d love Metroid, Zelda, etc. on my PlayStation at PlayStation prices, I wait a few months after releases to get stuff at half off.

They do fulfill the handheld niche though. Shit is great for traveling. My kid can sit in the back seat silent for four hours while he plays Zelda on road trips.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Saw those, look a little too mature for him. Maybe Skyward Sword. Not open world but Zelda adventure at least. He likes links awakening a lot so doesn’t necessarily need to be open world. Probably wait for botw 2 in that genre.

Well never mind that’s not out til July. Maybe smash bros or Mario odyssey then.
Skyward Sword is shit, get any of the others though.

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Only way you're getting that is with a PC emulator (and all the headaches that come with it). I'll be shocked if the upgraded Switch can even do 4K 30 without dropping frames in BotW.

Still going to buy one regardless though, my Switch is long out of warranty now and I've already been debating swapping it out for the better screen + battery one. My biggest concern about the upgrade model is that it will go back to having shitty battery life, possibly even worse than the OG Switch.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist

I was gonna post this. Just started playing on PC a couple weeks ago and I love it. Great BotW clone. Don't think it's Ghost of Tsushima level, but it's certainly one of the better games of 2020.

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It was a great game on PC at $15 from Ubi+ (and especially now with all the DLC included too), but the Switch port of it sounded pretty bad even after the patches.

• 1Truth!