Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I remember when Street Fighter 2 cost on SNES was $74.99 because the "cart memory was more expensive." Which was bullshit. It was 5 meg. Then Tales of Phantasia launched at $49.99 and was 6 meg. :p

Nintendo is just doing what every other business does and in this case, they are gaining way more profit with price parity in other platforms who have/are moving their retail up to $69.99. Nintendo has never been a loss leader in Hardware - they profit from everything they sell.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Pretty sure I paid $70 for Link to the Past back in the day. Maybe it was Final Fantasy III? Whatever. Nintendo's just going for that nostalgia pricing!
FF3 was $85 at release near me. That's $170 in today's dollars.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Metroid Prime 1 Remastered and more Zelda Tears of the Kingdom info (release date confirmed May 12th and collectors edition announced, plus new footage with new mechanics and a little lore).

The rest was pretty meh, except the new Mario Kart DLC adds Birdo back into the game on top of new race tracks.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Pretty sure Super Mario RPG was $70 in 1996.

Lufia II, Breath of Fire II...I think I remember seeing those for $70, part of the reason I never got to play them until later.

Metroid Prime 1 Remastered is really good news, even though I was hoping for Metroid Prime Trilogy Remastered like so many other collections we've gotten. It's fine if they're going above and beyond with this remaster though, like giving it Demon Souls treatment or something.

Caliane

Etrian Odyssey remake collection (1-3)coming to switch and steam June 1st. pretty sweet, these were DS only. dungeon crawls.

they want 40 each on steam, or $80.37 for all 3. which is a bit much...

• 2Like

spronk

FPS noob
So Tears of the Kingdom is confirmed to be $70 now, the first Nintendo $70 game in a while

on the other hand, their voucher DOES work on it, you spend $100 for the voucher and can pick 2 digital games (voucher is good for one year). So you could do TOTK + Advance Wars or TOTK + Pikmin 3 and get $130 of digital games for $100. Not terrible. Not great.

MEtroid Prime remastered digital is $40

voucher, it lists all the games it works on pretty much all the big nintendo first party games

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I'm all over those Etrian Odyssey remakes. Yeah they are a bit pricey but eh, I'm a sucker for the franchise.

• 1Like

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I definitely recall dropping around $80 on SF2 Turbo, SSF2, FFIII (VI), and some others. I'm pretty sure when games started going beyond 16meg on the cart, prices went well over $50. For most games, the dollar per entertainment value is great no matter what. Even a 10 hour game at 70 is $7/hr. A fucking movie is AT LEAST that, though I've only seen a movie once in the past few years.

Gaming continues to be a relatively cheap hobby. Hardware kinda sucks, but as someone that messes with sports cars, this doesn't even crack the top 10 of frivolous shit I have bought like sway bars, clutches, exhaust systems, etc. And the less frivolous shit like guns.

• 2Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm all over those Etrian Odyssey remakes. Yeah they are a bit pricey but eh, I'm a sucker for the franchise.
If you buy all 3 it's not that bad(~27$ for a fresh remake), and that money likely goes into funding the next Etrian they're likely making in the process, they just ported these to recoup costs I'd assume, so yeah I'm fine with it, although it could be lower/would have been nice if they ported Untold 1&2 instead but I figured it'd be weird for Untold to have 3D models then go to Etrian 3 and go back to sprites. Still it's a nice thing, a lot of people will wait for sales but that's ok, and really only Etrian 3 is actually that interesting since it was never remade. Do hope they have a few bug fixes/balance tweaks though, 1 and 2 especially have fucking shit decisions in there that made the games not so great compared to 3 and later 4 and such QoL. It seems they're adding a few new things so it's possible they'll do a balance pass on that too.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I've been playing my New 3DS XL a lot lately. I forgot how cool this thing can be. Playing SMT IV atm on there (which btw is excellent and more enjoyable than V I think) but was planning on playing Etrian Odyssey IV on it next.

Caliane

to be clear, they are remasters, not remakes. new textures, etc. not a full rework to modern standards.
  • Newly remastered graphics, remastered soundtrack and quality of life improvements, including difficulty selection and save slots
  • Touch screen mapping functionality for the Nintendo Switch™: Plot your progress through the labyrinth, drawing walls and placing icons to note special events and resources
I saw automapping mentioned as well iirc.

steam forums are mentioning Denuvo.
oh, yeap.
Incorporates 3rd-party DRM: Denuvo

I wonder if the steam version will have sales.

Also, this made me remember I have disgaea 1,2 and 5 on steam I've yet to actually play. (I played 1 and 2 on the ps orginally. didnt finish 2 iirc.)

Last edited:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
If you mean sales before it launches, somewhat unlikely I'd say? Not sure if Atlus sells keys to 3rd parties though, could be some price reductions from that.

They do sales after launch though, looking at stuff like Persona and what not, they did 30% sales only a couple months after launch, so you'll likely be able to get the game a fair bit cheaper if you wait.

Edit: Actually hadn't checked but they do sell on 3rd parties, can buy the 3games for 72euros instead of 80 euros from Gamesplanet/Fanatical, ymmv with other countries prices I guess.

Last edited:

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Denuvo is not ideal, especially for the modding community, but most publishers seem to remove it after awhile usually as hits a new discount threshold on Steam.

Caliane

Anyone get prime Remaster? I see reddit /gaming gushing over it. an even bigger visual upgrade then you might expect. not just textures, but geometry as well.
(its also 39.99)

face reflection example.

wonder if this should get its own thread?

Last edited:

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Anyone get prime Remaster? I see reddit /gaming gushing over it. an even bigger visual upgrade then you might expect. not just textures, but geometry as well.
(its also 39.99)

face reflection example.

I preordered the physical version on Amazon. Nintendo games retain value and nintendo shuts down digital stores. So definitely going for physical for this.

The OST in the original is so good