Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

spronk

FPS noob
Vita games still top video game charts in japan so who the fuck knows what Nintendo's strats are, if its still deeply rooted in Japanese markets they are probably working on haptic titty controls and virtual tentacle reality

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Playing games on my phone is just annoying and rarely fun due to terrible controls. If there is a mobile game I want to play i just use Nox on PC. I still use my 3dsxl quite a bit. I think there is a big enough market for one more handheld generation.

You would think by now they would have a decent docking system to plug your phone into a TV with good bluetooth controller support, and a way to plug your phone into those controllers to use it as a handheld as well. I think some 3rd party controller docks do that now but last I looked support was iffy. NX is likely going to be a prototype for this kind of ecosystem. If it does well then Samsung and other big phone manufacturers will probably copy it.

spronk

FPS noob
info is sketchy as shit but someone posted a foxconn drawing by a chinese engineer

CtEbz0jW8AEYyPO.jpg

OK9qeo5.jpg

translation:
"NX is a console-handheld hybrid. It is detachable. It contains the console itself, performance module, and the handheld/gamepad.

The console (I think it is supposed to be a dock. I'll call it a dock from now on) contains HDD, cartridge slot and various other interfaces. It supports TV output (but no CPU/GPU).
The performance module is a portable device that provides power supply. It contains a Li-Ion battery. CPU/GPU also is contained inside. It supports Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and wired connections. You plug the dock inside and it becomes a PS4/Xbone like console, but you can also transfer the signals to the handheld (like Remote Play?)
There are two candidate SoC for it: Pascal SoC from nVidia or AMD R9 SoC.

The handheld part is a 6 inch 720p screen and has a low-TDP SoC, which can satisfy basic operations with lower quality graphics when the performance module is not connected. But it can also display game graphics from the performance module which can provide a console-level graphics. A bit like nVidia Shield streaming. You can bring the performance module with you portable since it has its own battery.

Additional info: whatever the solution will be the computing power it has falls behind a PS4, let alone a PS4 Pro. Don't have high hopes for that. The selling point for it is high portability and hybrid providing rich gameplay possibilities.

If details don't get revealed in Oct then maybe wait for the beginning of next year.

NX is a two in one portable
Composed of three parts
Dock, built in hard drive, cartridge port and interface for tv output etc..
Handheld - built in battery, CPU & GPU. Bluetooth + Wifi. Can plug in to dock to become like static console similar to PS4/XB1.
6 inch screen 720p. Can display on TV too like Wii U / Nvidia Shield.
Less powerful than PS4.
Reveal October. If not then delayed.
2 chip options, either Tegra or AMD.
---------

Sounds kinda dumb but whatever, the faster they fail the faster they can move to platform independence

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah this thing will have nowhere near the power of a PS4. This over hyping/marketing is worse than PS4 Pro/Scorpion claiming 4k capability.

Its a Wii U at best that is portable.

Corvid

Golden Knight of the Realm
Sounds kinda dumb but whatever, the faster they fail the faster they can move to platform independence

You're talking about Nintendo here. They don't often fail. They are the only company that's continually pushing innovation and trying new things, while the other console companies just rehash the same shit with a more powerful hardware every few years and occasionally copy Nintendo's ideas. We hear the same thing every time they try something new - people spouting off about how it's going to bankrupt them but they're still going strong - and where the portable market is concerned, they have a very strong presence. If this is a hybrid console/portable, you can bet it's going to be another hit.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Those drawings proven to be fake I believe. Although someone at Foxconn WILL leak it sooner than later as it just started Trial production - Nintendo needs to reveal soon, like days/weeks not months.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I think Nintendo's biggest mistake is going to be missing out on a Christmas release. Even if this system turns out to be Wii U 2.0, they could've capitalized on people just wanting the newness for Christmas.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
If the portable is like the Wii U screen controller, forget it. That thing is an uncomfortable piece of garbage to use next to a DS4 or an Xbox Controller.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I think Nintendo's biggest mistake is going to be missing out on a Christmas release. Even if this system turns out to be Wii U 2.0, they could've capitalized on people just wanting the newness for Christmas.

They delayed to make sure their launch line up isn't terrible like the 3DS, Wii U, PS4, XB1.

If Wii U had some of its top tier games (Splatoon, Mario Kart, Smash, Mario Maker, etc) at launch it would have sold a ton more early and kept selling. Their main problem was marketing and launch lineup, and as has been shown, fucking up the launch can cause you to be behind forever.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
If the portable is like the Wii U screen controller, forget it. That thing is an uncomfortable piece of garbage to use next to a DS4 or an Xbox Controller.

It will be closer to the 3DS than the Wii U controller, it's supposed to be portable after all.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
If anything, I welcome a slightly larger 3DS. The XL model was pretty comfortable for the most part, but I would that it had rather erred on the larger side. I don't have massive hands but if you aren't a dainty person it was a slightly cramped-ish experience at times.

spronk

FPS noob
I'll be buying one, but I am 99% sure third party support will die within a year. That "portable" is way too fucking big for anyone to walk around with it, the detached controller looks like usual shit. Wii Pro controller looks nice though and I'm sure the regular trickle of Nintendo first party games will be great.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I'll be buying one, but I am 99% sure third party support will die within a year. That "portable" is way too fucking big for anyone to walk around with it, the detached controller looks like usual shit. Wii Pro controller looks nice though and I'm sure the regular trickle of Nintendo first party games will be great.

Probably won't matter. All of Nintendo's studios will be on this one system. Third party or not, there should be games.