Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

spronk

FPS noob
gallery02.jpg

The carts are 100% different than 3DS carts, I just popped one out of my 3DS and it has way more grooves than the one above. So yeah, not 3DS cart compatible, at least.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Another Nintendo console, another gimmick. Definitely waiting until the honeymoon is over with this thing.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I also really think they dropped the ball not getting this thing out before Christmas. Gimmick or not, thing would've sold like hotcakes to kids for the holidays this year. That's a huge marketing blunder.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Looks better than I thought it would but still not sold I'd want one. No price means its going to be pretty high in my opinion. Thinking a whole package of everything we saw in the commercial will be in the $6-700 range would be my guess.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Looks better than I thought it would but still not sold I'd want one. No price means its going to be pretty high in my opinion. Thinking a whole package of everything we saw in the commercial will be in the $6-700 range would be my guess.

I pray that you're wrong. If it's anywhere near that price point, fuck that noise!

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
It's not going to be more than $299 is my guess.

I don't see what the gimmick is that some of you are talking about. I suspect the sliding off controllers might not be used much, but everything else seems pretty solid.

When you're a company that has stepped out of the power race, you have a few options. For the Wii they went with low power, small form factor, and a hook (Wii mote). It was quiet, didn't use much electricity, and games were cheap to make for it, etc. This appealed to the Japanese and a lot of casual gamers. The Wii U tried to be more hardcore and failed at it.

I think they finally found a good solution with this system. It's not super powerful in pure computing power, but the the chips it's using are modern so it can run modern engines (Unity and Unreal 4). Also, because it's low power, it can be portable. I see this as a pretty fair trade off, honestly. Then again I've always loved portable games. I play my 3DS more than anything (cept maybe my PC). So this shit is right up my alley.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
$299 for the tablet and the 2 shit controllers maybe without a power adapter.

Malkav

French Madman
Doesn't look that bad. The question will be games.

And I sure hope for Nintendo this thing has some media playback capabilities.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
I'M THINKING 299-350 for the "core" set. hoping for 299...

tablet, base, the joy-con l/r and the pro controller style "shell" (the thing you slide the l/r things into...

day one for me probably.

one thing that this LOOKS to have over the other consoles..

NO INSTALLS... plug cart in- play game

cpu/gpu looks to be a custom nvidia tegra x2 - portable 720p, tv1080p.

Siliconemelons

Looks like a great progression from their current concepts to this generation. I am glad they are moving out from 2 screens - I rarely found myself using them when it was not required or forced. I hope controls for games also are simplified and consistent throughout the various controller modes.

Its small and modern looking, lets hope their UI advances with it, the wii and wiiu system UI is horrifically bad.

I think the standard system will come with the dock, the portable LCD - the 2 side controllers and the connector for those 2 - the pro controller is going to be a separate thing.

The name... eh

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Also is anyone really excited to play Skyrim all over again on a tiny screen with a shitty controler and no mods ? (If anybody thinks Nintendo will alow mods on its platform, slap yourself) I guess it was good shorthand for "we will have third party AAA titles, promise !" If somebody can release games for this and tablets, it will have plenty of titles, however rellying on current gen games to be ported, or even on last gen remasters is not going to end well, but who am I kidding, they just need to update their major franchises and it will sell like hotcakes.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
It's not going to be more than $299 is my guess.

I don't see what the gimmick is that some of you are talking about. I suspect the sliding off controllers might not be used much, but everything else seems pretty solid.

When you're a company that has stepped out of the power race, you have a few options. For the Wii they went with low power, small form factor, and a hook (Wii mote). It was quiet, didn't use much electricity, and games were cheap to make for it, etc. This appealed to the Japanese and a lot of casual gamers. The Wii U tried to be more hardcore and failed at it.

I think they finally found a good solution with this system. It's not super powerful in pure computing power, but the the chips it's using are modern so it can run modern engines (Unity and Unreal 4). Also, because it's low power, it can be portable. I see this as a pretty fair trade off, honestly. Then again I've always loved portable games. I play my 3DS more than anything (cept maybe my PC). So this shit is right up my alley.

How exactly did the Wii U try to be more hardcore? The problem with the Wii U was that it was basically just the Wii console repackaged. The Switch is gimmicky in that it's trying to be a home system that is also portable. It looks extremely bulky as a portable, and the detachable controllers look like they could only be successfully used by Mini-Me.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
This would be my price guess break down:

Tablet w/ the 2 shit controllers - $400
TV Dock - $100
Pro Controller - $60

No Game Included, outside of complete 'bundles'

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Also is anyone really excited to play Skyrim all over again on a tiny screen with a shitty controler and no mods ? (If anybody thinks Nintendo will alow mods on its platform, slap yourself) I guess it was good shorthand for "we will have third party AAA titles, promise !" If somebody can release games for this and tablets, it will have plenty of titles, however rellying on current gen games to be ported, or even on last gen remasters is not going to end well, but who am I kidding, they just need to update their major franchises and it will sell like hotcakes.

Aren't console "mods" for Skyrim only allowed to just re-use existing assets anyways? I wouldn't see why Nintendo would care about that. I also don't know why someone would want to play a Bethesda game on console but thats a different argument.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
This would be my price guess break down:

Tablet w/ the 2 shit controllers - $400
TV Dock - $100
Pro Controller - $60

No Game Included, outside of complete 'bundles'

No fucking way the TV Dock is sold separately. I'm guessing the dock along with the tablet and the left/right detachable controllers are the core "system." I absolutely agree however that the pro controller will be sold separately. I'm guessing $299 to $399 for the system, with the pro controller around your price target of $60.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
$299 w/ dock IMO, $350, tops. Not getting a tablet out of this, getting a small LCD taped to a brick playing cartridge games with inexpensive controllers. A lot less moving parts.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I'm going to reserve my judgement for a bit. I'll be honest, first impression was pretty hype but I calmed down quickly. I want a pretty substantial game library and I want to see how well it runs the game. I'm curious to see if those were full versions of Skyrim and 2K or are they "Nintendo Editions" with features missing.

I'm going to probably get it as I'm a big Nintendo fan with a family (wife, 2 kids that all game) but the quality of the console has me concerned as well. Those controllers looked pretty flimsy.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So, they are doubling down on the failed concept of the Wii U? I am getting too old for Nintendo's stupid gimmick shit.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users