Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
It looks nice, definitely not cutting edge gaming, but if they get mobile devs to port a few games, the library could be huge, or people will just buy for the first party titles anyway.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Heian

Molten Core Raider
Pokemon, mario, zelda, splatoon etc is enough for me. Add a metroids and other stuff like Bayonetta was for Wii U and I'm happy.

I buy a nintendo console for nintendo games.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
^^ Skyrim, NBA 2K, etc as well

Jesus. That actually looked somewhat decent.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
CvN2pUIWIAAcxQ-.jpg

Skyrim on NX would be cool, especially if they allow mods

• 1Like

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
God that would be just too perfect if it was backward compatible. Finally a portable I can actually buy. Holy shit I am so pumped for this.

spronk

FPS noob
fHvfSTk.png

^ looks uncomfortable as fuck unless you have tiny woman hands

also 99% sure it is NOT backwards compatible, the quick flashes of the cart slot didn't look like 3DS carts, no second screen would make it wonky, and at no point did anyone ever touch the screen either.

powered by custom Nvidia tegra (probably an X2 offshoot)
NVIDIA Gaming Technology Powers Nintendo Switch | NVIDIA Blog

Last edited:

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
So its a Gameboy/WiiU hybrid. Pretty much what everyone expected, but cool concept with the wireless / detachable controller things. Looks like they are aiming for the Venn Diagram intersection of Console, Old-skool Mobile, and iPhone gaming.

Heian

Molten Core Raider
The splatoon players were using their pro controller. I guess those small controller this is like last resort gaming.

• 1Like

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Waiting for more info before i get excited. If it's backwards compatible and has a decent amount of internal storage or compatible with memory cards and can play movies or plex and shit like netflix then it's a must buy. If its just it's own eco system then I'll pass.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
This looks gimmicky af.

They're almost painfully careful detaching the tiny baby hand controllers. Battery life suspect as well for long runs.

Not super impressed so far...

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Probably won't be backward compatible with 3DS/DS at least, maybe Wii/Wii U though that'd make sense kinda, who knows. I wish it'd play 3DS games cause the idea of being able to play 3DS games on a large screen(maybe with the screen of the portable NX as the bottom screen) would be fucking great. That or just being able to plug in a fucking gamepad that doesn't suck as much as the 3DS after long play sessions.

Anyway sounds like what people were guessing it'd be at some point, which is alright for a Nintendo console I think. The portable looks big as shit but I like that you can detach the sides, drop it on a table, plug a gamepad and just play anywhere fairly comfortably. It looks bulky as fuck in full portable mode though, like a Vita or some shit. Maybe even bigger can't tell for sure.

spronk

FPS noob
The two third party games we saw were skyrim and NBA 2k16 or 2k17

ociho1b.png

rkspZzW.png

The other games were Zelda Breath of the WIld (new), a new 3D Mario I believe, Mario Kart 8 (with some new stuff like King Boo), and Splatoon (2?)

• 1Like

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Unlikely to be backwards compatible as they're not using the hardware from the 3DS.

Either way, I'm pretty hyped. It feels like a valid direction for a console that's a bit weaker. Yeah, it's weaker, but you get the benefit of being portable, which is great. Add to that it's so portable that LAN parties could become a thing again.

Oh my God they'd better release a Monster Hunter for it.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
This looks gimmicky af.

They're almost painfully careful detaching the tiny baby hand controllers. Battery life suspect as well for long runs.

Not super impressed so far...

Battery life is a less and less of an issue theses days with tiny portable chargers. Small controllers seem crummy but the pro solves the problem.

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
The small controllers and the stand look like they will last three uses. Ah, who am I kidding? I am sure buying one because you know new Zelda, new Mario Kart, new Pokemon. And then it will catch dust like my Wii and my WiiU before. At least no motion control but normal gamepad. Wondering about battery life, too.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I do like the social aspect of "bring your console over" as it harkens back to LAN party type socialization for gamers who are now adults and are looking to try and maximize their freetime. That was something the 3DS did extremely well, but use was still somewhat limited to those people who were fond of GameBoy style gaming. This allows people who would not otherwise pickup a GameBoy (or see the utility of having a GameBoy in addition to their phone) a valid reason to have a mobile gaming device. They aren't picking up a Gameboy that docks with a TV, they are picking up a console that they can go wandering with.

Did you also notice the marketing push towards Gen-X / Millenials with that teaser? Even if they are cutesy games this is targeted squarely at the adult gamer demographic, probably in an effort to address the perception that Nintendo = Kids even if that might not be strictly true.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
That thing is as big as a fucking tablet! Literally looks like they're walking around with a coffee table. I like that the controllers can detach a second time, but then the controllers look like they're too small, unless you have the smallest hands ever. I do like the controller when it's attached the to the full console at home. Of course this system will have the usual stable of solid Nintendo games (Zelda, Metroid, DK, Mario, Smash bros, Mario Kart, etc..) which is always nice. For me, it'll be about the price point. If this system comes in under $300, I'll probably buy it.

moontayle

Golden Squire
I do like the social aspect of "bring your console over" as it harkens back to LAN party type socialization for gamers who are now adults and are looking to try and maximize their freetime. That was something the 3DS did extremely well, but use was still somewhat limited to those people who were fond of GameBoy style gaming. This allows people who would not otherwise pickup a GameBoy (or see the utility of having a GameBoy in addition to their phone) a valid reason to have a mobile gaming device. They aren't picking up a Gameboy that docks with a TV, they are picking up a console that they can go wandering with.
That's the feeling I get. It's a novel idea if they truly pull it off.