Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
Could you imagine the sales of mario worlds and Zelda's if they were on PC and XBox. my god.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Trying to compete with 2017 Sony and Microsoft hardware would be stupid. NOT competing with 2013 Sony and Microsoft hardware with a product released in 2017 is shameful.

Fall on your sword levels of shameful.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Trying to compete with 2017 Sony and Microsoft hardware would be stupid. NOT competing with 2013 Sony and Microsoft hardware with a product released in 2017 is shameful.

Fall on your sword levels of shameful.

Exactly, which is why I don't understand why they are going to roll out a system in 2017 that is inferior to the PS4 and Xbox1, and may not even be as powerful as a PS3. They already tried this with the Wii U, and it failed miserably. I know the actual specs haven't been released yet, so this may all just be conjecture, so I'm still hopeful the system will be more powerful than most are expecting, but it looks doubtful.

spronk

FPS noob
not sure why people think the NX is gonna be 360/ps3 levels of power, thats very unlikely. rough power sketches

3DS - 0.04 tflops
ps3/360 - 0.24 tflops
wii u - 0.2-0.4 tflops
xbox one - 1.3 tflops
ps4 - 1.84 tflops
ps4 neo - 3 tflops (probably)
xbox scorpio (2017) - 6 tflops
1080 NVidia card - 9 tflops

the NX is going to slot in somewhere in the range of 0.6 - 1.5 tflops, depending on how many cores and pipelines they end up with. So it'll definitely be less powerful than a ps4, but then again if its displaying 720p or 540p most of the time (and upscales to 1080p that content for TVs) then it can do similar amount of graphic processing at lower speeds.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
not sure why people think the NX is gonna be 360/ps3 levels of power, thats very unlikely. rough power sketches

3DS - 0.04 tflops
ps3/360 - 0.24 tflops
wii u - 0.2-0.4 tflops
xbox one - 1.3 tflops
ps4 - 1.84 tflops
ps4 neo - 3 tflops (probably)
xbox scorpio (2017) - 6 tflops
1080 NVidia card - 9 tflops

the NX is going to slot in somewhere in the range of 0.6 - 1.5 tflops, depending on how many cores and pipelines they end up with. So it'll definitely be less powerful than a ps4, but then again if its displaying 720p or 540p most of the time (and upscales to 1080p that content for TVs) then it can do similar amount of graphic processing at lower speeds.

So, again, you have a system coming out in 2017 that is going to be inferior to systems that were released 4 years earlier. That's the equivalent of releasing a new model car that has a CD changer and bragging about it.

Ryan

Trakanon Raider
They just need to get some franchise defining games on all the market places (PC/Xbox/Sony) while making the best handheld in the market. A dream we will never realize, but I think it might be the most profitable option they could implement.

I really wish they would do this. Either that or produce a state of the art console again, but for some reason they just won't do it. I'm up for playing Nintendo games still, but having to do it on the ridiculously antiquated hardware they offer these days is a real drag.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
So, again, you have a system coming out in 2017 that is going to be inferior to systems that were released 4 years earlier. That's the equivalent of releasing a new model car that has a CD changer and bragging about it.

It's a handheld =| I feel like you aren't recognizing that fact, and instead thinking it is intended to compete with or "be" a traditional home console. It's not; it is a handheld that has the capability to have its output displayed on a tv/monitor built in instead of being a hack. It is going to -clearly- be the strongest handheld on the market, since the competition is the Vita (unless Sony puts something else out, but it will have like 1/3 the install base either way, and they are mostly backing out of handheld gaming) and the 3DS when it releases. It also lets you do a really truncated home experience, but the focus is clearly on the fact it is a handheld. Comparing it to home consoles makes absolutely no sense; it's not a home console.

I hope you weren't the type of person to look at a gameboy and complain that it wasn't as powerful as a genesis or snes.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
It's really going to depend on how they market it, won't it? Will Nintendo market the NX as a handheld that can be played on the TV, or as a normal console that can be played as a handheld? They should do the former, but given how stupid Nintendo can be, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being the latter.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
They will clearly market it as being the best "Games on the Go" machine out there. It will be like Vita's marketing, except this thing can actually hook up to a dock and connect via HDMI to your TV.

Not to mention it will allow for console quality versions of the next Monster Hunter and Pokemon franchises, while still having the normal console franchises of Zelda, Mario Kart, et al. The library should end up being pretty massive.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Gotta admit, as much as the Wii left a sour taste in my mouth and I never bought a Wii U, I'm slowly, slowly warming up to the idea of a portable console I can connect to my TV. I'm not a tech snob, and if all of Nintendo's future releases will be on one console which I can play in multiple scenarios, I kind of like that idea. I'm still firmly in the "wait and see" camp, but I'm a little more optimistic than I was earlier.

Mick

<Gold Donor>
the only reason I bought a Wii U was because the original Wii broke and it was backwards compatible.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
i think they will market it as a portable console

Yeah the commercial pretty much writes itself. Some hip kids on the go playing their cool looking Pokémon, Zelda, Monster Hunter. Walk in the front door and throw down your Hello Kitty back pack, jump in the couch and BAM! You're seamlessly playing on your 70" curved UHD OLED flat screen. Throw in some karaoke anime hentai clips, maybe streaming some Naruto. Profit.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
It's a handheld =| I feel like you aren't recognizing that fact, and instead thinking it is intended to compete with or "be" a traditional home console. It's not; it is a handheld that has the capability to have its output displayed on a tv/monitor built in instead of being a hack. It is going to -clearly- be the strongest handheld on the market, since the competition is the Vita (unless Sony puts something else out, but it will have like 1/3 the install base either way, and they are mostly backing out of handheld gaming) and the 3DS when it releases. It also lets you do a really truncated home experience, but the focus is clearly on the fact it is a handheld. Comparing it to home consoles makes absolutely no sense; it's not a home console.

I hope you weren't the type of person to look at a gameboy and complain that it wasn't as powerful as a genesis or snes.

Again, I understand that they're trying to create a handheld and console together, and again the entire point of my argument (if you would actually fucking read what I post instead of just wanting to come off as an asshole) is that I disagree with the entire business model to begin with. Phones have completely taken over the mobile gaming market (you know, the device that 99% of the population carries around with them at any given time?) so trying to bridge the gap between the two is foolish. Nintendo would have been better served in just making a better console that could directly compete with both the PS4 and Xbox1 (which are pieces of shit to begin with) and beat them in the "next gen" market by coming out with a superior system 2 years ahead of the other two companies. Had they done that (and finally gotten more 3rd party support) and released this year before Christmas, I think they would have found themselves back in the race. I'm interested in what the price point of this new system and the games is going to be. Here's an article describing precisely what I'm talking about.
Nintendo’s horrors multiply

spronk

FPS noob
nintendo doesn't have the staff, budget, or expertise to really compete with sony or microsoft. we are talking about a company that spent like $400m on R&D in 2015, which includes all game development, compared to the other companies which spend billions per year. Samsung for example spent $14b on R&D in 2015, Sony spends $3b/year (including other tech tho), etc.

The CPU that powers the xbox one is estimated to have cost over $3b total in R&D for example. Nintendo just can't compete, so they have always tried to take older tech and repurpose it to their needs. Alas, in a world between mobile phones, consoles, and PC gaming there really isn't any room for them other than hardcore Nintendo fans.

They are actually kinda doing something smart just leveraging off Nvidia's Tegra sunken costs, but the problem is what value add are they bringing to it...

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
etchazz, I get that you don't like the direction and disagree with it, but the handheld industry isn't dead and especially for nintendo has still been selling a shitload. Smart Phones have been out for a minute, roughly as long as the 3ds for mass consumption. They predated 2011 when the 3ds came out, but they were nowhere near as ubiquitous until around then. And the 3ds has still sold 58m units as of last december, with the latest pokemonGo craze spurring a big jump in both 3ds and pokemon handheld titles since then. You apparently dislike handheld game consoles which is fine, but there's a big chunk of the mainstream gaming audience who still prefers them to smart phone/pad "games." They aren't quite the same level of obvious P2W cash-shop hilarity, and the games tend to be... uh, dozens of times the quality/size/etc.

You can disagree with how you feel about their direction and that's fine, but you railing about how they shouldn't be releasing a system (your last couple of posts, the ones I directly responded to in fact!) that is underpowered when compared to two home consoles developed by larger companies and directly ignoring the fact that it isn't a home console is why I was being mildly snarky. They literally announced their next handheld and you were complaining that it is underpowered compared to current home consoles. This is nintendo unofficially bowing out of the home console market completely and moving to handhelds en masse. Dislike their choices, but at least make valid comparisons.

spronk

FPS noob
NX will be announced with features/specs in September at a Nintendo Direct, no specific date yet but the Tokyo Game Show is Sep 15-18th so I'd expect right around there

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I'm just floored at how stupid Nintendo is being with there systems...

I'm sorry but I don't want another fucking hand held that will make my hands cramp after 20mins of playing games, they honestly just need too give up on Home consoles concentrate on there little handheld, but create games for Sony/MS systems

Honestly the only thing I want is just a Console to play games on from them, I still like Zelda/Mario but man they need to figure out that the gimmicky shit needs to end, just give us a standard console that plays games on my TV, I don't need anything else.

Last edited: