Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Called Gamestop and asked about returns. I couldn't remember their return policy. If it's still in package, I can return them. I've opened them all, so I'm stuck. I feel like game carts (karts?) are more durable than discs, and so I have no issues getting used games, and will be doing that in the future to save money on future Switch games.

Mario Kart is Mario Kart and super fun, especially with the kids. I'm so used to single player games on my Ps4, it was refreshing to play a local MP game.
Super Smash is interesting. Pretty fun fighting game, and not super complicated. I can see the appeal, and I look forward to putting more hours into it.
Pokemon Let's Go is weird, but I've never really played another Pokemon before. I had to Google a beginners guide because I didn't know if I was really supposed to just keep catching shit or not.
Diablo is Diablo and done really well I think. I'm a huge Diablo fan, for better or worse, and having a portable version is fantastic. Will for sure be rolling up something come the new season!

I haven't touched Super Mario Odyssey or Zelda yet, but I suspect both of them are fantastic. On my radar is Bayonetta 2, Octopath Traveler, and Super Mario Deluxe Ultimate or whatever. Fun!

Zelda:BOTW is in my top 5 of all time greatest video games. I seriously can't think of that many games that top it (equal in my opinion to Zelda: Ocarina of Time). I am super pleased with my Switch purchase. Between all of the games i've downloaded (Celeste, Inside, Hollow Knight, Child of Light, etc...) plus the hard copy games (Zelda, Smash, Mario: Odyssey, Dead Cells, Mario Kart, Octopath Traveler) it's already one of the best systems I've ever purchased.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I get mine from Gamefly since every game I wanted to play is still the same price it was on release day, and the used price at GS is -$5. At least if I decide to keep something I rent I save $20-25, and in the case of, say, Bayonetta 2 I will still get the code for Bayonetta 1 digital.
Holy moly I didn't realize game fly did Switch!!

I'm bad about these services though. Last time I did it for ps4 I had Witcher 3 for a year and a half and never played it once before finally returning it and canceling.

spronk

FPS noob
redbox also does switch games apparently in some areas so you can rent it from there to check out if a game seems ok or not, although honestly nowadays twitch/youtube should easily be able to tell you that

lost

<Bronze Donator>
So you rent from gamefly and if you keep it, you pay $20-25 cheaper than store price? I looked on there but didnt see anything like that. Its because its used?

and yeah I got pokemon let's go with the ball.. the ball hurts my hand and is annoying to move around with. pokemon is also pretty repetitive, its either fight some stupid trainer that my pikachu kills in one lightning bolt or throw balls at a pokemon, where half my joycon throws go FAR LEFT or FAR right randomly. the only perk of the plus ball is that you get a mew who can learn different types of abilities, like mine has an earth seismic toss, pikachu lightning bolt, and a water move called SCALD so hes a pretty good all around counter when pikachu doesnt get it done (like against rock monsters).

also picked up super smash bros, seems pretty fun!

for me tho my favorite game is still rocket league, which is free. monopoly is pretty fun as well for group efforts and mario kart.

Last edited:

Vorph

So you rent from gamefly and if you keep it, you pay $20-25 cheaper than store price? I looked on there but didnt see anything like that. Its because its used?
Yeah, though I guess the high end is -$15 for games released in the last six months or so. Currently I have Octopath Traveler and XC2 out. Octopath is ~45 to keep, XC2 is ~40. Every 3 months I get a $5 coupon to use and they stack for a couple days when you get a new one and the previous one hasn't expired yet, so I'm going to keep XC2 for $30 right after the first of the year. I bought Torna DLC digitally and it's going to be a while before I'm done with all of it. Then after that I'll get Bayonetta 2 and keep it for $36 (and they ship the Bayonetta 1 code along with the game case).

Gamestop used prices are $55, 55, and 35 for those three games because new copies of all three of them still sell for full retail price, and their used copies of Bayonetta 2 don't come with the code for 1 for obvious reasons so that's actually $50 if you wanted both games. Amazon isn't much better, Nintendo-console games are just like that and if you hate paying full price for stuff that's over a year old you have to get creative. The only catch with Gamefly is that there's a lot of games they won't just sell you directly... you have to rent it first and then hit the Keep button. Not really a big deal most of the time, it's just there so that people don't try to buy up every copy of, say, SSBU that they have for $45 all at once.

Now if I could just get Amazon to change my [discounted] preorder of Tales of Vesperia from PS4 to Switch everything would be great. I've discovered after having the Switch for a month or so that I am much more likely to actually finish JRPGs on it compared to my PS4 where even games like DQ11 tend to stall at some point, so I think I'll be getting everything in that genre on Switch going forward.

Crone

How do different profiles work? Like I have my main one. If my son grinds out mk8 races and gets a bunch of new cars are those gonna be available to me on my profile?

For an RPG I want him to use his profile but on some games like mk8 I want to take advantage of a young kids endurance for repetitive things. Lol 😂

So how's that work?

Siliconemelons

No they do not cross - your kid will have the karts and stuff and you wont.

Like on BOTW this is the only way to have different "saves" other than normal and master modes

Crone

Yeah, though I guess the high end is -$15 for games released in the last six months or so. Currently I have Octopath Traveler and XC2 out. Octopath is ~45 to keep, XC2 is ~40. Every 3 months I get a $5 coupon to use and they stack for a couple days when you get a new one and the previous one hasn't expired yet, so I'm going to keep XC2 for $30 right after the first of the year. I bought Torna DLC digitally and it's going to be a while before I'm done with all of it. Then after that I'll get Bayonetta 2 and keep it for $36 (and they ship the Bayonetta 1 code along with the game case).

Gamestop used prices are $55, 55, and 35 for those three games because new copies of all three of them still sell for full retail price, and their used copies of Bayonetta 2 don't come with the code for 1 for obvious reasons so that's actually $50 if you wanted both games. Amazon isn't much better, Nintendo-console games are just like that and if you hate paying full price for stuff that's over a year old you have to get creative. The only catch with Gamefly is that there's a lot of games they won't just sell you directly... you have to rent it first and then hit the Keep button. Not really a big deal most of the time, it's just there so that people don't try to buy up every copy of, say, SSBU that they have for $45 all at once.

Now if I could just get Amazon to change my [discounted] preorder of Tales of Vesperia from PS4 to Switch everything would be great. I've discovered after having the Switch for a month or so that I am much more likely to actually finish JRPGs on it compared to my PS4 where even games like DQ11 tend to stall at some point, so I think I'll be getting everything in that genre on Switch going forward.
The portability helps with games like that. Can get a few battles in, or get a few things done while doing other things (poopin'!).

Crone

No they do not cross - your kid will have the karts and stuff and you wont.

Like on BOTW this is the only way to have different "saves" other than normal and master modes
Figured it was like this because my son started Pokemon on my profile, and I went into my profile and tried to delete or restart it and I couldn't figure out a way to do it. He was only 45 minutes in, so I figured things out pretty quickly, but yea. So now I gotta figure out a way to tell my son to use my profile when he's kart racing, but his profile when he's playing Pokemon! lol

Vorph

The portability helps with games like that. Can get a few battles in, or get a few things done while doing other things (poopin'!).
Yeah, I find I have a lot more tolerance for stuff like XC2's retarded gatcha system for getting new blades. There's no fuckin way I'd put up with that on a PS4/PC game, but it's less of an issue away from home when it's Switch or nothing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zaide

TLP Idealist
The weapon durability system killed BoTW for me. It felt like you couldn't just explore the world without your sword breaking every ten minutes.

• 2Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 2 users

Siliconemelons

Ehh, I hated it at first- and it is harsh at first, but really it either becomes "part of the natural game" and you just flow with it, never having a favorite weapon - or you push through advance and have a billion of your favorite types en mass ready to use thanks to your extensive golden poop collection

• 1Like

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
The weapon durability system killed BoTW for me. It felt like you couldn't just explore the world without your sword breaking every ten minutes.
I hated it too. Made it through the game but never used most of my best/favorite weapons for fear of them breaking. I would have paid $10 for a “dlc” that simply let us turn off weapon decay.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
This is literally the only thing keeping me from playing Zelda. It's not just that the weapons break so easily, the interface for switching weapons is tedious and immersion breaking. I understand why folks beeline for the master sword to avoid the trauma and time wasting of weapon management. They literally could have left that part out of the game, or double/tripled durability and it would have made for a much cleaner feel.

• 1Solidarity

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
So I just realized that ff12 isn't coming out till next year so I need another RPG. Tales of vesperia or xc2?