Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I like eXtremeRate's PS5 stuff but really not a fan of that kit for the Switch Pro. Installation looks like a mess at the end with those flex cables even if you skip the soldering part and the button module looks too thick to be comfortable to use properly. Curious what you think once you get it installed but to me the whole thing looks way more awkward to use than the RISE4 kit for DualSense.

IMO the best Switch controller by far is still the PowerA Fusion Pro. The one and only drawback to it is lack of rumble, but personally I don't care about that at all (a handful of games use it in ways that make not having it a problem though, sadly).
i spent a few days with this, it was erroring me out, tech support isn't helpful, i thought i was soldering wrong (i wasn't) so i even got the unhealthy solder w/ lead to solder better!
turns out the installation video is wrong, upon a rewatch, at 8:29 they circled the wrong solder joint, once i resoldered it worked? (i actually don't know my wife is travelling w/ the switch now), but it blinks properly like it should, i guess i could connect it to my pc to test it out.

the back buttons feel really nice, like 10x nicer than the ps5 ones, the ps5 ones are on a hinge? well that would be a disservice to a real hinge, it's just a metal rod and a plastic flapper.

these back buttons take 16 screws! to build, like why couldn't they just send this to you already pre-assembled, if the soldering error wasn't there, it would have taken 10minutes.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Question : Do I pick up a switch OLED for the BOTW sequel or wait for the inevitable ROM and play it on PC w/ an emulator? That's how I played the 1st one ( it was a wii emulator but you get the idea). I am asking is the switch worth the $$$ for the 1st party games?

• 1Faggotry
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Question : Do I pick up a switch OLED for the BOTW sequel or wait for the inevitable ROM and play it on PC w/ an emulator? That's how I played the 1st one ( it was a wii emulator but you get the idea). I am asking is the switch worth the $$$ for the 1st party games?

No not really.

I have a Switch OLED and I like playing it, but I'm also out and about or in some form of transit for like 15 hours a week.

But if you don't need a portable system, just play stuff on PC with emulator. For all my poo-pooing people emulating Switch in the last couple years, at this point I think we're shortchanging ourselves by playing on their actual console. Crank up the visuals and have a ball.

• 1Smuggly
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I hate to be that guy but a company makes an amazing, non-woke game…and so we pirate it then wonder why more games like it aren’t made. The normies will turn around and buy Rainbow Madden 2024 with Lia Thomas on the cover and realistic season ending gender reassignments and then we wonder why that shit is what gets made.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Stop stealing other people's work you freeloading POS.

• 3Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 3 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>

I played the original on switch and on pc.

Pc with 4k graphics was a lot better, no discussion.

Unsure on the status of switch emulation, but if it is any good don't bother with a switch. The hardware is just too weak.

• 2Faggotry

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
They won't be releasing a wii u version to emulate this time.

Switch emulation is hit or miss.

If you like jrpgs the Xenoblade series itself is worth owning a switch for.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah switch emu usually takes a long time to "git gud", you'd eventually want a 60 fps mod, texture upscales, specific fixes so the game doesn't bug out and break, etc. Obviously there isn't a whole lot of games coming out so someone will probably be super dedicated to doing it but who knows how long it could take. With a 100+ hour game too you may have emulation issues that aren't hit right away.

also lol at worrying about piracy, BOTW sold 29m copies and this will likely sell more. Nintendo is gonna be just fine, you don't need to white knight, EVER, for link, mario or pokemon lol People double and triple dip anyways, I have the collectors edition coming which I'll keep sealed, might buy a digital copy ($100 voucher gives you 2 games) and still play on my PC but we'll see. I did play BOTW to 100% on my switch and had no problems at all so I think it'll be fine there too.

advance wars 1+2 is out this week so if you really wanna play with emulation that'd be a good one to see how it progresses. also a good game to pair with $100 eshop voucher.

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
yeah switch emu usually takes a long time to "git gud", you'd eventually want a 60 fps mod, texture upscales, specific fixes so the game doesn't bug out and break, etc.
They still aren't even at that level for BotW after years of work. Any video you see on youtube that makes the game look really impressive on a PC is 100% guaranteed to be running the WiiU version through Cemu. Obviously it won't take as long to get TotK to a 'playable' state because a lot of those years of development was just generally improving the emulators, but playable and perfect are not even remotely the same thing.

Caeden

yeah switch emu usually takes a long time to "git gud", you'd eventually want a 60 fps mod, texture upscales, specific fixes so the game doesn't bug out and break, etc. Obviously there isn't a whole lot of games coming out so someone will probably be super dedicated to doing it but who knows how long it could take. With a 100+ hour game too you may have emulation issues that aren't hit right away.

also lol at worrying about piracy, BOTW sold 29m copies and this will likely sell more. Nintendo is gonna be just fine, you don't need to white knight, EVER, for link, mario or pokemon lol People double and triple dip anyways, I have the collectors edition coming which I'll keep sealed, might buy a digital copy ($100 voucher gives you 2 games) and still play on my PC but we'll see. I did play BOTW to 100% on my switch and had no problems at all so I think it'll be fine there too.

advance wars 1+2 is out this week so if you really wanna play with emulation that'd be a good one to see how it progresses. also a good game to pair with $100 eshop voucher.
This is hardly white knighting or even specific to Nintendo. Nerds are way more likely to invest in deep and/or well designed games. Normies suck up a lot more trash they EA and so on shit out. We’re way more likely to pirate.

There’s a reasonable discussion here around any good games. I also think shit like this combined with corporate greed of course is why games as service are looked at. There’s obviously the continuous stream but ensuring essentially zero piracy has to be a bonus.

Shit maybe piracy isn’t that much. I rarely do it for games bc I’m lazy. But old shit from Disney? Maybe. I don’t want those fuckers getting my money even for their old non-woke shit. Hypocritical probably.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Don't be a faggot.

• 1Like

Caeden

I also totally have a jailbroken Wii U under my TV too. So yeah. I got no room to talk.

• 1Solidarity

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Who let the faggots in that are triggered due to me emulating a game while owning the game and console?

• 3Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Don't be a faggot.

Or Nintendo can create a console based on current standards for graphical fidelity and no one would be using them. Also if someone owns a Switch and a game, if they want to run said game via Rom on an emulator, all the power to them.

It's about as silly as having cross save in Destiny 2 but being forced to purchase all the same shit on a PC even though they already spent $400+ on the Series X software with expacs and seasonal packs. And then to make matters worse, confuse the living daylights out of people by telling them they need to buy all the base software/expac software for a second time yet their seasonal purchases will carry over and they do not need to buy the seasonal stuff.

Off the rails a bit but software should be multiplatform from the get go. If money is an issue formulate a package that allows all platforms to be played on with a higher price tier than what is normal standard. MS is going down this road already with cross save/platform play if you buy digital.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Or Nintendo can create a console based on current standards for graphical fidelity and no one would be using them. Also if someone owns a Switch and a game, if they want to run said game via Rom on an emulator, all the power to them.

I've never emulated anything on Wii U, 3DS, or Switch.

Also I own BOTW from one or two Black Fridays ago and haven't gotten to it because it looks so washed-out and last-gen 720p blagh.

Maybe if I get a modern-looking emulated ROM running, I'll actually sit down and play BOTW finally.

Also I'll have to figure out 3DS emulation at some point because Nintendo refuses to port shit off of that deserted island of a console. Metroid Returns, Dragon Quest 7 and 8, etc, all trapped there.

Nintendo is obstinate and sometimes people have to find ways around that. If their systems were actually remotely up to par visually this wouldn't even be a conversation 'cause we'd be doing everything on their hardware, except for the really destitute and/or cheapskate people I guess. Most of us would pony up and be happy to do it though. And they really need to do a better job archiving old stuff. Nobody's gonna go buy a 3DS in 2023, it isn't a "current" system anymore Nintendo.

• 1Pathetic
  • 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I bought a Switch Tears special edition figuring I could resell it on eBay in the distant future for mad profit. Question: if I register a Nintendo account on this device does that permanently marry this device to the account? As in, if I were to sell it can someone detect that it's used?

The way this thing is packaged, there are no seals to break or plastic baggies to rip open. So, I can easily package everything back up and sell it as new. Assuming no Nintendo-phone-home registration stuff goes on.

• 1Galaxy Brain

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
I bought a Switch Tears special edition figuring I could resell it on eBay in the distant future for mad profit. Question: if I register a Nintendo account on this device does that permanently marry this device to the account? As in, if I were to sell it can someone detect that it's used?

The way this thing is packaged, there are no seals to break or plastic baggies to rip open. So, I can easily package everything back up and sell it as new. Assuming no Nintendo-phone-home registration stuff goes on.

You can factory reset a switch when you sell it.

Siliconemelons

If eBay list it as New (other) and note in description seller refurbished, complete same - like new complete packaging

To be honest 😀