Nioh 2 (PS4 (PC in November?))

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Been using Axe build and using all 7 pcs of the Obsidian Samurai set, but I have my stamina way spiked so that my weight is still green, so it's a good balance of dodging and blocking.
Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Booted up my PlayStation version to check on a few things. If Axe isn’t your thing I also had a Tonfa build going, the low stance Ki damage is nuts and rips through levels.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Booted up my PlayStation version to check on a few things. If Axe isn’t your thing I also had a Tonfa build going, the low stance Ki damage is nuts and rips through levels.

I bet tonfa is way more my style than axe. In Nioh 1 I'm still running with twin swords for the time being though. my last big Bloodborne run got me really used to Blades of Mercy and I had to get used to slowing it way down when I went back to other From games.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I’m digging the axe so far. I’m able to just hit once or twice then back off. I think tonfa I was just trying too hard to get the long combos completed and staying close too long. Crafted the axe then farmed some revenants for a bit to get a few skill points and get some STA.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
For bosses, fast attacking seems like a death trap. Started to play again with fists to see how it goes and they are crazy good against almost all the trash but far safer to grab a big slow two hander to hit once/twice and back out until the next boss attack window.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
What's the earliest you can get an axe in Nioh 1? I don't think it was one of the early weapon choices and I haven't gotten one as a drop.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
What's the earliest you can get an axe in Nioh 1? I don't think it was one of the early weapon choices and I haven't gotten one as a drop.

It definitely was a starter weapon but also Check dead bodies you can summon.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I crafted one, which crafting just opened for me after like 3 levels or so. Or you can get some from revenants.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Revenants are when you examine the grave of another player and have to fight something, right? I think I did one of those and it was pretty rough with little reward so I just started avoiding the piles. Keep in mind that I've played this in like 1-2 hour sessions spaced like 6 months apart for the last couple of years. I'd just start over if I wasn't level 10 and still very early. I'll see if I can get an axe and try getting gud at that. Though I'm also about to get back to finishing up Crisis Core, and Kakarot/Stranger of Paradise have new DLCs. "Nooooooooooo" says Nioh as it spirals back to the backlog.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Revenants are when you examine the grave of another player and have to fight something, right? I think I did one of those and it was pretty rough with little reward so I just started avoiding the piles. Keep in mind that I've played this in like 1-2 hour sessions spaced like 6 months apart for the last couple of years. I'd just start over if I wasn't level 10 and still very early. I'll see if I can get an axe and try getting gud at that. Though I'm also about to get back to finishing up Crisis Core, and Kakarot/Stranger of Paradise have new DLCs. "Nooooooooooo" says Nioh as it spirals back to the backlog.
Yeah if they have purple or better in a slot you need it is worth doing, they are all really dumb so just bait an attack and punish, that or go really aggressive they run out of KI quickly.

Best skills to get early with any weapon are anything that does extra Ki damage. Spear has good range but only the polevault does Ki damage so it is my least favorite weapon despite the nice range pokes.

Last edited:

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Nioh isn’t really the kind of game you can drop and pick back up. The muscle memory and skills you gain, remembering what things do, etc would be pretty rough imo.

You don’t really need to do revenants unless you see one with a purple item in a slot you want to upgrade, you get a good chance at getting it. When you stand next to the grave marker it will show you the rarity of the items they have on each slot. For how easy they are, they’re really good risk/reward because they can drop several pieces of gear at once.

• 3Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Axe and some other sword all the way.

Nioh 2 runs awesome in 4k mode at 60 FPS on PS5.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider

You can cheese the revenants very easily. Get a Kusarigama, the blade on the rope. Use it enough to get the skill under heavy attack that pulls enemies towards you, works on all humanoid enemies which revenants are. You only need a few levels in it to get the skill. Pull them to you, do a few regular attacks, then jump back and let your stamina reset. Rinse and repeat until dead. Sometimes they block, but just keep doing the pull attack until it lands, hit, dodge back, and they will all die. Doesn't matter their level or gear compared to yours. So no matter what weapons you main, just lock whatever the best Kusarigama you get as loot so you don't sell it and equip it whenever you want to fight a revenant, or grind them for loot.

If you're not in the "summons are cheating" camp, you also get the currency from revenants as loot which lets you summon the blue spirits. There is a spot, not that long into the game, think a mission in the second area, where you get a side companion too. There is a bridge area there with tons of bodies (at least there was when I played). Summon a spirit + you have the companion, then just grind the dozens of red graves, run to a rest spot, use it a few times until the graves respawn, rinse repeat. Will get you tons of gear either for upgrades or selling.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Nioh isn’t really the kind of game you can drop and pick back up. The muscle memory and skills you gain, remembering what things do, etc would be pretty rough imo.

Resuming Nioh 1 (again) for the third (fourth?) time. This time I mean it, since I'm coming off of Sekiro. And yeah it's difficult to just pick it back up and have any idea what I'm doing. A few things:

-On the second area, I think. It's a green wooded area with a lot of torch guys wandering around. Level 10, have like 15 Samurai Points to spend, so it looks like I grinded a lot to leave my future self with an advantage once I figured out what I was doing. So if I find a skill that works for me I'll be able to get it right away.

-Most points are in Skill, it's a lot higher than the others. Hopefully that's good.

-Not sure what stance to be in so I'm just sort of switching between them randomly. I know you have to switch them during Ki Pulse and whatnot

-Is this game primarily a dodging game or a blocking game? Because my dodge seems really bad (even worse than Sekiro) for avoiding attacks, unless the double tap roll is what I should be doing. The block works pretty well but there doesn't seem to be a parry. So I basically just stand there and block, then hit back, then block again. Doesn't seem right.

-Oh yeah, THE BUTTONS. They're all wrong, coming off of Sekiro. It's like driving on backwards roads in the UK. There are no good button configuration options that actually match up with the other games I've played. This game really needed an option to set the button inputs yourself. If the controls were the same as Sekiro I'd be doing fine, but instead I'm constantly taking unnecessary damage due to wrong presses and having to rewrite my entire muscle memory. At least I can make R1 slash.

-Heals don't get refilled at a bonfire-equivalent? I've got 7 heal elixirs, used two while practicing combat, hit bonfire and it's...still 5. If they have to be farmed like Bloodborne, that's a bit...meh

-Mostly just need to know if I should be focusing on blocking, dodging, or just all-out offense. What does "git gud" mean here? Dodge away instead of towards attacks? That's gonna be hard to re-train.

-Kinda wish I'd started playing this at the beginning of the weekend instead of the end of it because I probably won't be able to get back to it for a few days and I can already tell I want to hit this game hard.

You can cheese the revenants very easily. Get a Kusarigama, the blade on the rope. Use it enough to get the skill under heavy attack that pulls enemies towards you, works on all humanoid enemies which revenants are. You only need a few levels in it to get the skill. Pull them to you, do a few regular attacks, then jump back and let your stamina reset. Rinse and repeat until dead. Sometimes they block, but just keep doing the pull attack until it lands, hit, dodge back, and they will all die. Doesn't matter their level or gear compared to yours. So no matter what weapons you main, just lock whatever the best Kusarigama you get as loot so you don't sell it and equip it whenever you want to fight a revenant, or grind them for loot.

If you're not in the "summons are cheating" camp, you also get the currency from revenants as loot which lets you summon the blue spirits. There is a spot, not that long into the game, think a mission in the second area, where you get a side companion too. There is a bridge area there with tons of bodies (at least there was when I played). Summon a spirit + you have the companion, then just grind the dozens of red graves, run to a rest spot, use it a few times until the graves respawn, rinse repeat. Will get you tons of gear either for upgrades or selling.

I bet this is what I did before to get all these extra levels. What I'm doing now is pretty much "land a couple hits, dodge back" to win fights.

Axe and some other sword all the way.

Nioh 2 runs awesome in 4k mode at 60 FPS on PS5.

I still have two swords and tonfas equipped. I've also got a Bandit Axe, gonna switch to that. Looks like I was playing this "Bloodborne Blades of Mercy style". There any reason to have a second melee weapon equipped?

I've been flipping back and forth on whether to play this on 120 FPS mode or 4K mode. 120 FPS seems super smooth, 4K mode also seems super smooth, just a little less so. Never had a console game give me a 120 FPS option before so it's really tempting to leave it on that. Gonna try 4K for a bit though.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20240205_031958.jpg

Switching between Body, Stamina, Strength now and kinda ignoring Skill. Hopefully those points weren't wasted.

How important is it to stay under 60% weight in this one? Should I focus on lightweight/speed or equip high defense armor? Got a bunch of Nioh Armor on that had great defense while being heavy.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
This game has a super sharp difficulty curve, then it drops off a difficulty cliff just as fast.

By the fifth area I was struggling a LOT. The cave with the vampire lady boss gave me as much grief as the Shrine of Amana in Souls 2. Was projecting the game to be more of a problem than any Souls, Wo Long, Sekiro, even Lies of P.

Then I respecced, moved some things around, did the dojo missions, got the slow spell, tried a better build, and boom, suddenly the game is easy. Kinda bizarre actually.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
This game has a super sharp difficulty curve, then it drops off a difficulty cliff just as fast.

By the fifth area I was struggling a LOT. The cave with the vampire lady boss gave me as much grief as the Shrine of Amana in Souls 2. Was projecting the game to be more of a problem than any Souls, Wo Long, Sekiro, even Lies of P.

Then I respecced, moved some things around, did the dojo missions, got the slow spell, tried a better build, and boom, suddenly the game is easy. Kinda bizarre actually.

Could you say you got gud?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, it's a complete mystery!

• 3Worf