Nioh (Team Ninja)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
God I hated Himo-Enma. That shit was hard for me, don't even want to know how many tries it took me.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
OK I'll give it another shot then. Glad to know I just missed a shrine.

• 1Like

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just picked up this game myself. I got it from best buy after seeing it for 20 bucks and it's at least kept me occupied whilst the Ebay guy has never sent the God of War copy i ordered a couple weeks ago..Overall it so far feels like a very good dark souls game.

I also initially missed the last Shrine on the Paralyzing Boss. She was basically the only boss in the game so far that gave me any trouble, the next three after her were all very easy imo.

I'm about level 33 or so now. I'm using a Soul-transferred lvl30 Rakiri (sword you get from the chick after killing boss guy) as my main wep and a spear as backup. My stats are not efficient and i have just about every physical skill in the 10-16 area with heart begin my #1.. I also found myself liking the Dual swords also.. Should I respec and try to focus on something or is it not a big deal and just fill up my melee stats in general using whatever weapon looks best at the time? I've used every weapon save the Kurisaga (sp?) and i found them all potentially very useful.

My other question is about armor, in general i'm sitting about 50% weight mostly using medium armors with occasional light or heavy if i get something i really like. Should i focus on one type? the damage mitigation on heavy looks pretty weak and it feels like most enemies hit like trucks regardless.

As for stances at first i thought it was unnecessarily complex. But i have grown to like it, although i should prob use the high stance more and mostly stick with low/mid all the time..

I don't block at all, i guess this is sort of a holdover from my play in souls games as i think it would be very useful sometimes.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I just picked up this game myself. I got it from best buy after seeing it for 20 bucks and it's at least kept me occupied whilst the Ebay guy has never sent the God of War copy i ordered a couple weeks ago..Overall it so far feels like a very good dark souls game.

I also initially missed the last Shrine on the Paralyzing Boss. She was basically the only boss in the game so far that gave me any trouble, the next three after her were all very easy imo.

I'm about level 33 or so now. I'm using a Soul-transferred lvl30 Rakiri (sword you get from the chick after killing boss guy) as my main wep and a spear as backup. My stats are not efficient and i have just about every physical skill in the 10-16 area with heart begin my #1.. I also found myself liking the Dual swords also.. Should I respec and try to focus on something or is it not a big deal and just fill up my melee stats in general using whatever weapon looks best at the time? I've used every weapon save the Kurisaga (sp?) and i found them all potentially very useful.

My other question is about armor, in general i'm sitting about 50% weight mostly using medium armors with occasional light or heavy if i get something i really like. Should i focus on one type? the damage mitigation on heavy looks pretty weak and it feels like most enemies hit like trucks regardless.

As for stances at first i thought it was unnecessarily complex. But i have grown to like it, although i should prob use the high stance more and mostly stick with low/mid all the time..

I don't block at all, i guess this is sort of a holdover from my play in souls games as i think it would be very useful sometimes.

Either go light or heavy armor, light is all about evade and getting into position to attack. Heavy means you can block all day and absorb hits when you do get hit and then counter attack. Medium is pointless unless you really want that 5 piece set bonus that is medium. You can also build a high Ki light armor build so you can also block all day. It is also fairly easy to have agility B in Heavy armor.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Either go light or heavy armor, light is all about evade and getting into position to attack. Heavy means you can block all day and absorb hits when you do get hit and then counter attack. Medium is pointless unless you really want that 5 piece set bonus that is medium. You can also build a high Ki light armor build so you can also block all day. It is also fairly easy to have agility B in Heavy armor.

Hmm well i never block so i guess i should look for light armor. Is there any reason to not mix and match armor types?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I played a light armor/dodge build. I really enjoyed the game, but after one playthrough I had zero interest in playing more.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

If that's the boss then there's definitely a close shrine. Trick to her is the verbal clues she gives you before her attacks. Once you get the timing down she's kinda easy.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider

I've never done the DLC so can't say anything about that, but finished the main game. There are no boss fights without a shrine within a minute or so max run time to get to boss. If you see what appears to be a boss area and you know you are very far from a shrine, backtrack and look for another one or a shortcut to open. It's a hard game, but it does not punish you for dying on boss fights.

Whidon Whidon Kurisaga is fun and OP against the red graves. Its Scorpion "get over here!" ability lets you cheese them no matter how high level they are above you. Since they are humanoid they can always be pulled. Pull, hit a few times, jump back, repeat.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
There's actually two moves with the Kusarigama. You pull them, then there's a leg sweep move that knocks them down, then you hit them while they're down.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
I didn't play much after I beat the main game, but I found the DLC to be harder than the first few levels of NG+ (way of the samurai or whatever the mode was called). I will say that if you're talking about the boss fights when you return to England, those were about as far from a shrine as it gets with fights you couldn't really avoid.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I went light build with dual-swords and it was fun to stick-and-move, but by the end of the game I was pretty exhausted of it.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I put like 400 or so hours into this game, used all weapons but the sword. Loved every second of it.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Finally finished this. But I think I'll be sitting Nioh II out for a long while. Great game but it had a lot of shit that annoyed the piss out of me and really got in its own way.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Finally finished this. But I think I'll be sitting Nioh II out for a long while. Great game but it had a lot of shit that annoyed the piss out of me and really got in its own way.

So strange as this is seriously becoming my favorite game of the gen, even over Bloodborne. I absolutely can't wait for Nioh 2. I finally have my main character pushing for the final difficulty and to fully dive into the Abyss (999 floor dungeon that is the end game). I don't even want to know how many hours I now have into this beast, but it is well north of 500. To each their own.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
It has a Diablo-esque RNG/grind to it that can get on your nerves sometimes. The game in the first half and exploring each new stage is awesome, but when you have to repeat stuff for content or farming it can take away from the immersion.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So strange as this is seriously becoming my favorite game of the gen, even over Bloodborne. I absolutely can't wait for Nioh 2. I finally have my main character pushing for the final difficulty and to fully dive into the Abyss (999 floor dungeon that is the end game). I don't even want to know how many hours I now have into this beast, but it is well north of 500. To each their own.

To me Bloodborne reigns supreme. Mostly because the gameplay (but i am a huge whore for the aesthetic too). I feel is the most refined of the soulsborne games. Even after like 70 hours of Nioh it is clunky shifting through stances and regenerating stamina... IDK I found it to be unnecessary complexity.

Sifting through all of your drops constantly is also a huge chore and I hated that part.

It made my gripe about useless items from the Dark Souls series even worse in Nioh with its loot pinata. I mean in Souls where there's plenty of weapons but a lot of them are shit or only have a few moves that you actually want to use and the rest of the moveset is garbage. Nioh just made that part even worse for me.

• 1Solidarity

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I loved Nioh, but Bloodborne is definitely my favorite Souls-type game. My only gripe is that it's only 30fps. Being able to play Darksouls on PC at high framerate and Nioh on PS4 Pro at 60 fps really makes Bloodborne feel like a slog at 30fps. That said, I haven't played any 'hard' game in a while, so I'm looking forward to Nioh 2.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I loved Nioh, but Bloodborne is definitely my favorite Souls-type game. My only gripe is that it's only 30fps. Being able to play Darksouls on PC at high framerate and Nioh on PS4 Pro at 60 fps really makes Bloodborne feel like a slog at 30fps. That said, I haven't played any 'hard' game in a while, so I'm looking forward to Nioh 2.

Not going to play Sekiro?