No Man's Sky

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I bought this two days ago and sank a few hours. My 2 cp:
+ It's seamless !
+ Haven't encountered any major bugs
+ I have the "ok I'll just do one more thing then hit the pillow.. fuck it's 3am already" syndrom already

- It's not pretty. Clouds are especially ugly.
- fuck the inventory. Fuck it dearly.
- Overall, the whole UI is a mess. I usually must hit esc and start again if i missed a menu. Having different layouts for techs, construction, and crafts makes no sense. Fuck not being able to skip texts.
- No maps of planet ? Or I have yet to discover how to map things.
- Learning language was a tad fun at first but now it's dwoqo and getting fruoknfi real quick.

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
I have found three crashed ships so far and it has allowed me to claim all three. They were all full of busted modules. The first one, I fixed completely up and am using it. The second one, I fixed the engines, flew it to the closest space station and traded it in for the first clean ship I could find. The third one, I claimed it to inventory but left it sitting on the planet.

Is there something else I should be doing with these? Is there a way to sell them outright without trading them in?

You eventually are able to have a max of I think it is 6 ships, so I would stop claiming them because no you cannot just sell a ship. You can only upgrade to a different one. That means eventually you will have to take one that is "yours" and do a trade in for a different ship. You do get some value from it as part of the trade in though so it is not a total loss. Don't worry about the one you left behind. Once you get a freighter, it will magically show up and occupy one of your spots.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have found three crashed ships so far and it has allowed me to claim all three. They were all full of busted modules. The first one, I fixed completely up and am using it. The second one, I fixed the engines, flew it to the closest space station and traded it in for the first clean ship I could find. The third one, I claimed it to inventory but left it sitting on the planet.

Is there something else I should be doing with these? Is there a way to sell them outright without trading them in?

generally speaking the crashed ships arent really worth the effort, unless you happen upon a perfectly rolled A or S class. The amount of mats(and time) it goes to fixing them up is usually more than the time it would take to farm units and buy a new ship

• 1Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
View attachment 220094
It was the one in the lower right, search base computer archives. You get that step 2 or 3 times as you advance through. 2 of those times it got stuck there.

When I logged in to take a screenshot of the journal it fixed itself like:

View attachment 220095

Almost like I had just placed the base. Buggy ass game.

For quests in NMS, you have to select the quest you're going to work on through the log. Then you need to wait a few seconds for it to update. THEN you need to do the step. I wouldn't call it a bug, but I would call it bad design.

Unless, you did that. And it still didn't work, then I dont know. But I do know if the base computer quest is completed and you talk to the base computer without having the quest active, you'll get the same part as your original screenshot, asking you to rename it, upload it or delete it.

There used to be a really bad base computer quest involving your freighter where it would put the base computer waypoint in the middle of space, but iirc that was fixed during the Next days.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
- It's not pretty. Clouds are especially ugly.

WARNING: Some of these might crash your game on start, so be warned. I always backup my saves first, though most people have no issues with mods.

For words, this is cheating, but I use this to make up for the amount of dialog you have to go through.

This is nice graphics mod:

Other useful fun:

No Mans Sky Save Editor | No Mans Sky Mods - This is good for editing saves when your quests get fucked up but resist the temptation to cheat!

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
There was only one quest in my log so I couldn't deselect / select it.

Now I'm stuck because I went to a station and explored around and talked to everyone before I went to the quest guy. Then the quest guy wanted me to talk to one of the people, but I had already done that tree head guy's thing and couldn't do it again, so I'm stuck again.

The stuck guy changes what he wants once a "day" whatever the hell that means. So it will probably unstick there.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Yea that one unfroze, then I got more read-stuff-at-base quests. No amount of restarting would fix the latest hang so I tried deleting my first base. When that didn't work I looked at a portal thing in my new house and it listed two places with a little red and white icon that seemed to belong to the quest in question.

Both were in the same system, one was at a space station. When I got in system though the icon vanished, though I could see it on the not-terribly-useful upper area of the hud. Eventually I figured out it was underneath a friend's base icon.

I went to his base and even though I could see the icon over his base computer, it didn't work. Waited a bit and tried again and it did... I can finally build STORAGE!!!

Go back to my new cool base on a pretty purple planet, make the storage and it's HUGE. Won't even fit under my ceiling. Get that built... five goddamn slots. 5. It's almost the size of a vault in conan exiles.

Five... slots

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
re: base computer archives

I have to ask because it hasn't been mentioned. You understand that after you get the new blue print and build the thing it gives you, you can't read the next archive for like an hour or two right? Its not hung, you have to wait.

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
WARNING: Some of these might crash your game on start, so be warned. I always backup my saves first, though most people have no issues with mods.

For words, this is cheating, but I use this to make up for the amount of dialog you have to go through.

This is nice graphics mod:

Other useful fun:

No Mans Sky Save Editor | No Mans Sky Mods - This is good for editing saves when your quests get fucked up but resist the temptation to cheat!

Thank for the tips. I went and looked around, not too many mods exist. Will try this before wow Classic hits !

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Thank for the tips. I went and looked around, not too many mods exist. Will try this before wow Classic hits !

No Clouds actually makes the game look much more ominous, I love it.

1566664740835.png

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Its not hung, you have to wait.

Yes all of the above errors were post wait time. I think I've seen the last of them, the past few have just worked.

I love that the game has the actual gamey bits to it. Even if it is fetch me 20 mushrooms I still like the bits of story and blather. Most build / dig games don't have any gameyness to them really.

Btw, I was 20 hours into the game when I noticed the little side panels at the shops. I felt a strange mix of excitement and boiling rage.

I've been wondering the whole game why they give you all these upgrades when there's no place to put them. And there's the answer. Bigger multi tools are for sale! But not on the actual merchant. Off to the side on some panel that just looks part of the ambient scifi background.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Also a friend of mine dug out an area and built an underground base. It all filled in and destroyed all but a few pieces, so I guess don't do that.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I've been wondering the whole game why they give you all these upgrades when there's no place to put them. And there's the answer. Bigger multi tools are for sale! But not on the actual merchant. Off to the side on some panel that just looks part of the ambient scifi background.

When you get all 16 glyphs, go here to this planet, then the space station of this system for an S Rank experimental multi-tool for one of the best ones if not the best in the game.

1566696037653.png

Also a friend of mine dug out an area and built an underground base. It all filled in and destroyed all but a few pieces, so I guess don't do that.

That's odd. It does all fill in, but after several seconds it will clear out. I think that's part of the game doing the "load up the procedural generation" and then the "load up what the player did" afterward. I have lots of underground pieces to my base, and do not have that problem (though do have a problem of it loading up covered up, I just wait a few seconds for it to clear).

I made a little base walkaround video (obv not a completed base) to show you what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
The latest fun. Talked to this guy, he vanished and I was stuck in the convo. Had to tab out and end the process.
20190825034529_1.jpg

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Since I've done nothing but bitch in this thread I thought I'd say, I hit an amazingly cool and fun and awesome quest / event / thing that was probably randomly generated but turned out to be super fun and clever.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Since I've done nothing but bitch in this thread I thought I'd say, I hit an amazingly cool and fun and awesome quest / event / thing that was probably randomly generated but turned out to be super fun and clever.
Wow cool thanks for the details, I can't wait to do something like that! Yesterday I had one of the best sandwiches of all time.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I got my engineering console, science console, weapons console all built and staffed. I got the quest for the farming (final?) console now. As I was flying around, I got the random event with the freighter under attack from pirates, killed the pirates, inherited the freighter, so now I have my first freighter which I guess can serve as a mobile base?

My question is can I pick up these consoles and hirelings and move them to the freighter somehow? Or do I/should I start over on the freighter and build new stuff and hire new workers?