No Man's Sky

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I realize saying "millions" is usually adequate when describing something massive, but No Man's Sky is orders of magnitude bigger than that even. 256 galaxies, although almost everyone is in galaxy 1 "Euclid." Within each galaxy there are 4.2 billion regions (unique glyph addresses on the portal). Each region has a couple hundred solar systems, and each system has 2-6 planets/moons. I don't remember where I read it but someone calculated that at peak player volume it would still take over a million years for the player base to discover every planet.

It's a huger than huge play space which is why I think a lot of people like the expeditions since it puts everyone in the same areas.

For the pedantically curious, there are 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 unique celestial bodies.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I've had this since their first sale for like $16 but I never liked the constantly having to refuel and shit. Are there working mods for unlimited ship fuel/jump fuel, jetpack fuel, shit like that?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I've had this since their first sale for like $16 but I never liked the constantly having to refuel and shit. Are there working mods for unlimited ship fuel/jump fuel, jetpack fuel, shit like that?
I know they added some granular difficulty sliders stuff where you could just basically change the difficulty of specific settings(like survivability stuff) so there might be one for that yeah. You can also likely cheat with cheat engine and just make your stuff permanent.

I think past the early game you kinda have near infinite ressources without even trying so it's not too much of a problem a few hours into the game. I mean you'll need different ressources to upgrade this or that but fuel is kind of a non issue and it gets better and better as you add upgrades to your ship to consume less warp fuel.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I haven't played this since it was first released, and probably only put about 10 hours into it back then.

Any tips for a filthy casual that's just fucking around?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I haven't played this since it was first released, and probably only put about 10 hours into it back then.

Any tips for a filthy casual that's just fucking around?
The entire game is just fucking around. There's a LOT more to fuck around with these days, but it's still just fucking around.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
The entire game is just fucking around. There's a LOT more to fuck around with these days, but it's still just fucking around.

Agreed - just fucking around is fucking fun to fuck around with the fun.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Been a while, but a few hints:

If you come across an abandoned ship you can claim, you can claim it even if it isn’t repaired. That way you can repair it later or minimally repair it and sell it/salvage it at a station, or fix it up completely if you really like the ship

There is a point in the game whether you get a free capital ship. Usually the first one sucks. If you turn down the ship, then the next one will be free. You can save scum before the 2nd one to get rerolls and try for an A or S class ship. There are videos that give pointers

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
The one issue I just could not get over (and ya it may be nit picking) is the clown car look of your frigate fleet. No matter how hard I tried and how many systems I visited, I could never seem to get a consistent color scheme for the fleet. If you could just buy a ship like normal and then change the look of it to what you wanted that would have been so much better. Instead you just ended up with (as I called it) a clown car of just a mix of random colors that did not match your capital ship. The last time I played it you could kinda sorta paint your capital ship but it was not near good enough and did not even have the same colors you could find on the ship to begin with. Maybe I'm just getting anal in my old age.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The one issue I just could not get over (and ya it may be nit picking) is the clown car look of your frigate fleet. No matter how hard I tried and how many systems I visited, I could never seem to get a consistent color scheme for the fleet. If you could just buy a ship like normal and then change the look of it to what you wanted that would have been so much better. Instead you just ended up with (as I called it) a clown car of just a mix of random colors that did not match your capital ship. The last time I played it you could kinda sorta paint your capital ship but it was not near good enough and did not even have the same colors you could find on the ship to begin with. Maybe I'm just getting anal in my old age.
look at this guy worried about whether his frigates match

Brikker

Trump's Staff
They should teach this game on How To Turn It Around.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
Finished up Expedition 10 and had a great time. I then decided to have a stab at the "Immortal" title with a permadeath run to the centre of the galaxy. The first hour was rough as fuck, and incredibly fun.

Cybsled

Ya once you get over the initial survival hump, it’s pretty easy so long as you get a ship with a good hyperdrive stat

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Just finished Singularity last night myself, it was a good expedition. Made me want to get myself a sentinel ship since they look pretty great. In the process i realised i have spent so much time in nms just exploring and doing random nonsense that i never got around to finishing the storyline so i dont have the portal glyphs, oops. Something else to work on...

Oldbased

> Than U
Always wanted my freighter to jump to a system and engage in capital ship combat with my smaller ships engaging fighters/defenses. Like No Man's Tie Fighter.
Looks like this is a step closer to that kink.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Is this built to where if my son had a pc too we could load up a universe together and play on the same worlds, hang out and explore together?

I’ve never played it but have always thought it looked interesting. Would not want to play it solo though, looks too boring. My kid likes Minecraft so I think if we could hang out on some worlds together and build some shit it could be something he could get interested in.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Is this built to where if my son had a pc too we could load up a universe together and play on the same worlds, hang out and explore together?

I’ve never played it but have always thought it looked interesting. Would not want to play it solo though, looks too boring. My kid likes Minecraft so I think if we could hang out on some worlds together and build some shit it could be something he could get interested in.

Skim the comments; there are some technical quirks with multiplayer that might or might not be annoying for you.