No Man's Sky

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Fired this up this weekend after not really getting into it in 2018. Working on the base quests now and enjoying the game so far.

Last edited:

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I started a new game yesterday on Survival, and I'm not sure it's worth playing it over Normal. It just seems like everything is a pain in the ass, and there really is no risk outside the first couple hours.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Sorry to interrupt here but does anyone know if this is coming to oculus VR quest 2?
Not natively, but there's some ways to make it work, can google it, basically you're just streaming it to the headset. Performance is so so as a result, but it's playable.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
Sorry to interrupt here but does anyone know if this is coming to oculus VR quest 2?
I've played on Oculus, you have to have the cable that connects your PC to the headset.

It runs pretty well for me, but prefer to play it on the native desktop.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Polestar expedition is live, no trailer(yet?) but can select it. Was waiting for it since I decided to play this finally after buying it like 2years ago or whatever, played a bit with the new patch but then figured I might as well wait for the expedition to continue. It's a freighter centric expedition, you literally start with one which is pretty cool.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ili

Blackwing Lair Raider
I started a new game yesterday on Survival, and I'm not sure it's worth playing it over Normal. It just seems like everything is a pain in the ass, and there really is no risk outside the first couple hours.
I used to play on Survival, made it to the center, a few times, an achievement only 1.2% of players have done, Kek. But now I just play on normal, less inventory management, easy weather and easy sentinels, just to relax while playing.

ili

Blackwing Lair Raider
What a pain in the butt trying to get the Hospitality quest to work/done. I really hate forced multiplayer stuff. Had to warp to get the other guy's Capital Ship to show.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
What a pain in the butt trying to get the Hospitality quest to work/done. I really hate forced multiplayer stuff. Had to warp to get the other guy's Capital Ship to show.
Can only have one freighter per system(including from your party), so you do need to warp around to get the stuff done or whoever has their freighter up needs to dismiss it. Only took like 5mins to figure out how to work it out, and it's an optional step(granted the 5m units are really useful to do other stuff if you don't have twitch reward ships, but if you do it's basically entirely pointless unless you want to play the save further once you're done).

I finished it earlier, didn't take too long and I wasn't really playing super efficiently, think it took like 8hours but experienced players are doing it in like 4. The only "annoying" part is one step is timegated, sending 8 fleet expeditions but you only get 5 per real day. Mind kinda bugged out though and it reset the 2 I needed so I finished earlier instead of having to wait for today's reset.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Been playing this all week, pretty fun game. Pretty much done though, just farming the last achievements tomorrow, need to afk 6 hours on an extreme planet(will let the PC run overnight) and need to do a permadeath run to the center, did the survival one today took 3hours so should be fine unless I fuck up majorly, it's rather easy and quick unless you have godawful RNG.

I really liked that some of the planet types or monster types and such are "rare" so you'll just randomly run into a really weird situation randomly, although a lot of it is very same-ish outside that as a result. Some aspects are definitely outdated or felt like they just couldn't bother trying to fix them properly(like exocrafts in general for example, cool idea but meh execution). Also lacks some sort of proper thing to do endgame. I guess the point is just exploring and stuff but there's not much reward and running into cool stuff is too rare to really keep you going imo. They have all these systems with daillies and unique stuff that I assume is supposed to do that but a lot of the systems are just not engaging/fun or become pointless very quickly/instantly. Combat could also use some touch up and more enemies.

Still overall, very nice, I've been waiting to play this for a long while everytime I was like "oh that looks nice, should play it soon" but wasn't disappointed. ~80hours played and probably will revisit every now and then when they patch and add new expeditions.

Cybsled

It’s a good game to play in spurts. I had finished the expedition and was going to take a break, but happened upon a massive cave complex on a paradise planet. So now I’m making a Fallout vault base lol

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
(like exocrafts in general for example, cool idea but meh execution).
The mech Exocraft is pretty dope when you get the AI that lets it follow you as a giant combat pet.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Never played this but you guys bring up a good point about "rogue likes" that I fucking despise. Its pretty much lazy way to make you repeat shit over and over instead of making an actual fucking game. I hated every rogue like I tried and never will again.

Yeah I'm similarly annoyed by roguelikes. In theory it's a cool concept where you get stronger each time you go out to the dungeon. It's relatively obscure but I liked Ehrgeiz's "Quest Mode" which did this very thing.

Hades and Returnal are both really good games, but most of their runtime is repeating stuff you've already done over and over again.

As for No Man's Sky, I was at the local library and saw this on their massive video game shelf. Was tempted to give it a whirl, never played it and I was pretty excited about it pre-launch (until the actual launch reception killed my enthusiasm, much like Cities: Skylines). Don't really have time, but it's good to know it's there for later. How time-consuming is this game?

Cybsled

Depends. This game is extremely sandbox. There are some guided quests/missions, but you’ll spend a lot of time looking for cool planets, trying to get nice ships, making money, build bases, etc

ili

Blackwing Lair Raider
I see they made being a trader a lot easier, and now with easy nanites! You don't have to leave your capital ship at all. Just Warp sell/buy the trade goods, from the ships trade post add-on, scan system for the nanites, from the ships scanner add-on, repeat until you get bored.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The mech Exocraft is pretty dope when you get the AI that lets it follow you as a giant combat pet.
Kinda, but it also breaks all the tech when it takes damage and it's derpy at times, so you have to spend a ton of time and ressources just repairing all his shit. And there's really nothing that's hard enough you'd need the mech for, just riding it yourself will work just fine, or using a fully upgraded weapon melts everything in like a second anyway. It's cool in concept but ultimately I just turned it off and used the mech myself when I wanted to mine. Which was basically never since it's easier to just buy most mats or farm them in alternate ways and the only annoying stuff like the system specific shit is "mined" with the teraforming tool, so all the mining upgrades are pointless past the first couple of hours(which obviously is before you can get the big robot).

It's the kind of thing I was talking about, in theory it'd be nice to have a big tank on wheels with a big mining laser or a robot friend to fight with, but in practice it's just flavor stuff, when it's not downright worse. The lack of threats is one of the big issues with a lot of these ideas, I don't really need to travel in a vehicle to do stuff cause I can't really die anyway, and also I move faster on foot for short distances, and anything long distance I'm just gonna call my ship to fly there cause it's like 10 to 50 times faster. Underwater is at least a bit better since you have to breathe and stuff but you can get an upgrade to breathe under water forever(well as long as you have oxygen mats to burn). At least since you're slow underwater, the submarine still makes sense to go from the ship landing spot to the actual objective and back. But comparing to Subnautica where everytime I had to get out of my submarine thing it was like "oh fuck oh fuck I hope there isn't some big fucker here", there's more or less no downsides to just swimming instead. Don't even think I've seen an agressive fish, just the horrors shit sometimes and they barely do anything.

Ultimately the issue is that wasn't what the game was built for, and it shows. It's like pirating or trading, you can do it but it's kinda half assed. The game is very much just about running around discovering stuff and building bases and while it has a lot of side systems on top to please people like me who prefer a more structured approach, a lot of them just feel like they weren't pushed far enough to matter.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Finished the achievements, perma death run was pretty easy although RNG was kinda bad and I wasted a lot of time trying to get the last fauna on the first 3 planets I visited because it was all the dumb bullshit(rare underwater and rare underground).

Had to restart though cause this is what I got the first time right at the start. Ship on top of a gigantic vertical mountain thing.

permadeath ship.jpg

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
The nomad is a great exocraft since it can travel over the surface of water. It's pretty much the only one I ever found a use for.

Also it's a ton of fun jetting around on those low gravity vacuume moons. You can boost for miles before touching the ground.

Those synthetic lifeforms make the best pet mounts. They are fast.

You can jet infinitely against steep cliffs. I find this one world that had rock spires that almost left the atmosphere. I could jet all the way up for like a few minutes straight. And then free fall for like 30-40 seconds.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Seems like somewhat meh reception from veterans because they massively nerfed tech upgrade stacking. In the old version, each piece of tech could have 3 upgrades in your tech inventory and 3 upgrades in your main inventory, so 6 upgrades total. In the new one they removed the main inventory upgrades, so you basically get half upgrades. On a lot of things it doesn't matter all that much and people overstacked just for the sake of it, but it's a large impact on jetpack efficiency and hyperspace travelling especially. The former isn't so bad imo because fully upgraded jetpacks invalidate most other forms of transport like exocrafts since it moved so fucking fast especially combined with the melee dash glitch. The later I feel they should probably rework the existing upgrades to work better, as there's a fairly big loss in hyperdrive range and warp fuel consumption that makes it kinda meh. Not a massive problem you can still travel a fair bit but the old one was a lot better.

Besides that it's largely just qol changes and stuff, no actual content. Looks pretty alright other than the tech upgrades thing.