No Man's Sky

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Also, I'm really falling out of love with procedural generation. Once you recognize the patterns it makes everything feel so...samey. Especially when it's a fairly limited set, just mixed up. Starbound is especially guilty of this in mob/planet design especially. Even going so far back as comparing daggerfall / morrowind, daggerfall's enormous world was largely wasted on being samey, which unfortunately occurs in every procedural game I've played.
Yup.

My dream for the ultimate space exploration game is a combination of this game, spore and something like minecraft. Where you have a giant galaxy filled with virtually unlimited planets that are procedurally generated. Players could then claim planets and use terrain editor + city-building tools to make those procedurally generated planets unique and hand-built.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Nah, it'll be made. Maybe it won't live up to the hype, but it'll be a product that releases.

This shit needs Oculus support. I'm also skeptical about procedural generated content but with small teams trying to create a massive world, it's hard to imagine any other way. I like the idea of content being generated then molded from there (I believe EQN is taking this approach), but a completely randomly generated universe would definitely cause me to be suspect of how noteworthy the actual content would be.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
The potential in something like this just makes me crazy with anticipation. Some day, one of these games is going to shake up the entire industry and we will have a giant leap forward.

Drakonar

Molten Core Raider
Getting a bit of an Elite vibe from this, which is not a bad thing. Spent a ton of time in that procedural gen'd game. Can't wait for some real info.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Looks cool. Put me in the very skeptical column.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
'm also skeptical about procedural generated content but with small teams trying to create a massive world, it's hard to imagine any other way. I like the idea of content being generated then molded from there (I believe EQN is taking this approach), but a completely randomly generated universe would definitely cause me to be suspect of how noteworthy the actual content would be.
I think it's important to take this game for what it is...a 4 man endeavor. I can give it a lot of grace on that fact alone.

Also, I think this is the direction the genre needs to go and, as someone pointed out earlier, the real test is if they can nail down gameplay. From what I've seen, I'm really excited, if only because it'screative,differentenough and a verysmall team. Three things the industry desperately needs more of...

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Yup.

My dream for the ultimate space exploration game is a combination of this game, spore and something like minecraft. Where you have a giant galaxy filled with virtually unlimited planets that are procedurally generated. Players could then claim planets and use terrain editor + city-building tools to make those procedurally generated planets unique and hand-built.
Create the canvas and let the players fill in the content. It sounds so simple. Too bad it's all about the rails these days.

I've always wondered why MMO's haven't worked in a SimCity/Spore type builder into their game. Camelot Unchained is providing a builder (minecraft) that will allow for something like this, but who knows how it'll really work.

I haven't thrown my money at any of the MMO Kickstarters that have been mentioned on this board, simply because I suspect they'll provide more of the same. However, I'd definitely be willing to give them my money, especially since they're such a small team.

Consider me skeptical and supportive.

Elidroth_sl

shitlord
Consider me interested. It has promise, and honestly I'd LOVE to see a small team catch lightning in a bottle and have a massive success! It might just be what the industry needs.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Consider me interested. It has promise, and honestly I'd LOVE to see a small team catch lightning in a bottle and have a massive success! It might just be what the industry needs.
Speaking of which - where the fuck is Aradune's kickstarter? Aren't you in contact with him? Or am I mistaken?

iannis

Musty Nester
While this looks like a possible perpetual nerdgasm I'm left with a basic question -- If you put the amount of creative hours into masking the procedure of your generation (to avoid the samey) and you put the drudgery hours into the assets that your procedure uses (to avoid the samey) then by the end of the engineering process have you spent more time or less time than if you'd just handcrafted something traditionally bounded instead? Because this is still bounded its just a different kind of bounding.

I don't guess we'll know until someone does it and surprises us. But it will take a true artist to do it and have the outcome remain interesting. You can copy the procedure, but you can't copy the artistry.

The idea is neat, I got a feeling that the details are going to fuck these guys raw.

Elidroth_sl

shitlord
Speaking of which - where the fuck is Aradune's kickstarter? Aren't you in contact with him? Or am I mistaken?
He's my friend, but I don't have any knowledge beyond what the rest of you have other than he's said it IS coming. My only contact with him of late has been to discuss music or motorcycles.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Article

Sounds like this thread might fit better in the Other Games section. It looks like, to use the example used in the article, the game is sort of a Dark Souls-style "single player, but other players can affect your game" thing.

Still sounds interesting.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yup.

While I have low hopes for EQN, I think it's a step in the right direction of player made content, just like CoH/V was. The fact of the matter is, as far as content generation goes, many players are just as good as the developers in designing of these things--and we are legion. It's the only way for a content churn n burn game to really exist with players playing at a decent rate. WoW today is a really good example of that. Siege of Org is a good raid, but it's not play it for a fucking year good. ICC, Dragon soul also both had this issue by being the last content patch lasting for a year prior to an expansion launch. Also, who is that in your avatar Tuco?

edit: Also, do you know if that Tecknoe is Quarken from vazaelle? He had a twink monk he liked to play (and later use for vox/nag) named Tecknoe, spelled the same way.

misery_sl

shitlord
They are promising a lot, and I have my doubts on whether or not they will be able to deliver. This procedural generation thing is really taking off lately. I've never really been interested in it as it seems lifeless to me in a way. For instance dungeon crawlers with random generated areas just seem watered down compared to content that is tailored to fit the game itself. One might even call it lazy. I understand that many people are in love with procedural generation these days, and it seems to work well enough in titles like Starbound. Also, I'll be honest, a game like this would be impossible without use of this technology. So maybe I am undervaluing it a bit. Also, for a moment I thought I was in the MMORPG discussion section. I must have clicked a wrong link.

Szlia

The team that made Joe Danger (fun bike platformer thingy) are now working on a space exploration game where the content is procedurally generated as it is discovered. It's a pretty distant release so it's unclear what other layers or gameplay and systems will be implemented on top of the core mechanism.

Platform is currently unspecified, but it's online, multiplayer and persistent; once something is discovered, it's there for all to see. One of the few things we know is that the devs are very happy about the fact there is no sky box. Not to rain on their parade, but I am pretty sure Breed did that more than 10 years ago (you could seamlessly go from planetary surface to outer space).

Color me intrigued.

Szlia

I did a search, but I half-ass'ed it
frown.png
I think labeling the game MMORPG is a bit of a stretch though and this topic is useful for the people who did not see the VGX and do not read the MMORPG forum!

Szlia

Those graphics are right out of F-15 Eagle Strike III ('93). Uber.
You might want to check some youTube video of F-15 Strike Eagle 3 to refresh your memory... It's true though that some spaceships (most notably the big carriers that warp away) are very crude.