No Man's Sky

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Nice interview, game sounds awesome. I'll be space racing to mark all the cool shit. I love that there's at least a minor trend of developers OK with saying "yeah, not everyone needs to be a damn hero." You're just a dude flying through space on a hostile word.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
rrr_img_53002.jpg

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
That was great. Thanks for posting.

I agree with gogojira and like the freedom indie developers have to pursue the idea of a game without having to cater to this "hero" identity crisis the genre seems to be having.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Nice interview, game sounds awesome. I'll be space racing to mark all the cool shit. I love that there's at least a minor trend of developers OK with saying "yeah, not everyone needs to be a damn hero." You're just a dude flying through space on a hostile word.
I remember when we argued this point with Curt back on foh. I just want to be a guy. Shit has gotten way too epic. Everyone can't be the star. SW:TOR really embraced that angle and I could never get behind it. It doesn't fit MMOs well. We create our own heroes. There are plenty of big name personalities in WoW/EVE/EQ(past tense)/etc., but the players pick them, not the game.

Column_sl

shitlord
So are you able to see other people in the game?

If everyone sees what you are seeing, if you can't see the other players wouldn't it be like a ghost is in the same room as you..

Randin

Trakanon Raider
So are you able to see other people in the game?

If everyone sees what you are seeing, if you can't see the other players wouldn't it be like a ghost is in the same room as you..
Going by that article I posted on the last page, no, you can't see them. You can see who discovered what planet; if someone does something major, like use up all of a resource on a planet, or drive a species to extinction, that thing will be gone for all players; and apparently if someone dies, the wreckage of their ship will appear for all players; but no direct interaction with other players.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
wow that guy is so high.

His description of the universe generation sounds like starbound.

universe is built on a seed. everyone has the same seed. a planet is generated, and will generate the same for every player that plays.
however, it has an online component where you upload data on a planet similar to dark souls, leaving your comments on a planet for others to know whats there. sortof how people are manually doing it for starbound.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Tough to leave this in the MMO section after seeing that interview. It's just a huge universe randomized on the same seed and there's only UI-level interaction between players.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Eh I agree. Honestly interest shot way down for me once it was clarified you wouldn't be running into other folks , still interesting game , but in no way an mmo.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
I'm the only person visible in my instance of the universe?

how compelling...

this went from OMG SO KEWL, to umm... tech demo?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
lol. Vapor ware confirmed. Or is it aquaware in this case? Either way, this smelled like bs, at least he was nice enough not to lead people on for years.