No Man's Sky

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
Holy fuck this project sounded so amazing. Hope they recover from the flood.
head in sand...

rrr_img_55978.jpg

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Gamespot has a video series this week about the game found hereThe Next Big Game - No Mans Sky - GameSpot

I searched forever looking for this thread thinking it was in the Other Games section. Don't know if it's still consider an MMO, if not, would amod mind moving it to the Other Games section?

Quaid

Trump's Staff
From my understanding it has MMO elements. If Star Citizen stays in MMORPG General then so should this.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
I'm definitely looking forward to this game, but i'm not sure why to be honest...
I have no idea what the game itself will entail? flying around discovering and seeing new places... sounds awesome for the first 2 or 3 hours... then what?
do i get to set up a colony? do i need to find resources to discover more? or is this just fly around and see pretty things and tag them as 'FIRST!' (which is what it sounds like)
I hope to hear more about the challenge of the game itself. I think they have a really cool concept but as a game to hold my attention it'll need more then just fly and discover places.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I'm definitely looking forward to this game, but i'm not sure why to be honest...
I have no idea what the game itself will entail? flying around discovering and seeing new places... sounds awesome for the first 2 or 3 hours... then what?
do i get to set up a colony? do i need to find resources to discover more? or is this just fly around and see pretty things and tag them as 'FIRST!' (which is what it sounds like)
I hope to hear more about the challenge of the game itself. I think they have a really cool concept but as a game to hold my attention it'll need more then just fly and discover places.
It's a game of exploration and resource collection. There is combat both in space and on land. There is an 'antagonist' of some sort. The main 'goal' is to make it to the centre of the galaxy by one means or another, but the player doesn't have to do that if they don't want to.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I like everything I see and hear about this.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
Thanks for the video post Soygen
smile.png

loved the line about the animated gif robot drones the devs use to fly to a planet and fly back out to see a fraction of the universe lol... that is pretty damn sweet and a great idea they came up with!

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Their tech looks really good, but I am skeptical about how good thegamepart of it will be. Procedural generation is not the be all and end all of content creation, it is no more or less work than more traditional forms of content creation, just different. In many ways it is also more difficult.

It looks promising though, let's hope they have they have the design chops to back up their technical ones.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Beta was leaked if you want to find out (Lawl)

No Man's Sky Beta

Got some Mark Jacobs talking about Warhammer online flashbacks when i watched that biggest game world video a couple of posts up
That website is funny and is pretty explanatory as to why this game is a bit overhyped. People are expecting there to be a large number of tile sets and variation in everything when it'll just be the same shit with different colors.

Spore had the right approach for this: Have a procedural generation engine and give players tools to design new shit. They never went far enough to make it interesting, but you have to have a community developing original content for this stuff to work right.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
That website is funny and is pretty explanatory as to why this game is a bit overhyped. People are expecting there to be a large number of tile sets and variation in everything when it'll just be the same shit with different colors.

Spore had the right approach for this: Have a procedural generation engine and give players tools to design new shit. They never went far enough to make it interesting, but you have to have a community developing original content for this stuff to work right.
How is there a difference between letting the players use the tools and the actual engine using the same tools to randomly create things procedurally? I would even say that it could result in more varied and hilarious results than having players doing it. Spore was terrible in pretty much every way and it shouldn't even be brought up in the discussion. That said, I agree that people need to temper their expectations on what we'll see in this.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Also, this is not an MMO and it should be in Other Games, but the last time I moved something out of this terrible sub-forum, there was a lot of butthurt.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
How is there a difference between letting the players use the tools and the actual engine using the same tools to randomly create things procedurally? I would even say that it could result in more varied and hilarious results than having players doing it. Spore was terrible in pretty much every way and it shouldn't even be brought up in the discussion. That said, I agree that people need to temper their expectations on what we'll see in this.
procedural:
total-minecraft-game-guide-find-a-tree.jpg

User created (go cry some, Tarrant)
7532-minecraft-big-tree.jpg

minecraft-treehouse-blueprintsgiant-tree-not-a-request-anymore-----minecraft-forum-2sasgy02.jpg

Have you ever seen a procedurally generated floor as nice as the one you made for my cathedral?

Did you play Spore? It did a lot of things that no one attempted to do and hasn't attempted since, so I give it a lot of credit. I love original ideas and risky/ambitious designs. Even though they scuttled Spore midway through the project by dumbing it down and making it more cute it still deserves to be brought up when discussing games like No Man's Sky.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
lol @ the Minecraft tree. I'm not saying that players can't make things better than the procedurally done stuff, but I am saying that we simply don't know just how varied the No Man's Sky stuff will be. I have very tempered expectations, but I'm looking forward to finding out.

We need to do another Minecraft project. Maybe something just a bit scaled down from the cathedral.