No Man's Sky

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
There will be some pretty inhospitable planets. Apparently it gets more and more dangerous, the further "in" you go, in the universe.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
There will be some pretty inhospitable planets. Apparently it gets more and more dangerous, the further "in" you go, in the universe.
I wonder if we need to land for fuel since they say getting to the center is the 'goal'. We would have to I am sure of it.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I wonder if we need to land for fuel since they say getting to the center is the 'goal'. We would have to I am sure of it.
It sounded like if you wanted to nothing but fly around space doing space combat/mining and trading between space stations that was possible. It sounds like the deeper you get in towards the core the more variance and biggers swings the world generation tool gets so things get weirder and scarier in general although being random you can still get happy fluffy space bunny worlds as well.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Don't remember the exact passage but Scalzi had something in Old Man's War where the new recruits were shown two aliens, one that looked like gross insect people and one that looked like deer. When asked to identify the enemy they naturally went for the insect people. Then the instructor schooled them in "don't judge an alien by its looks" when he identified the insect people as being huge allies for the human race and characterized the deer people with something like "These fuckers are evil as shit".

I want to meet and hunt the deer people in NMS.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
No idea why, but the PS4 version popped yesterday in my Amazon recommendations. Which is kind of weird (given that I've never ever purchased anything PS3 or PS4-related on Amazon)

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That was impressive. I love exploration games but I am hesitant at the scope of this game. Can a game be to large in scale? This certainly looks to be testing that theory. My other concern revolves around cheating and how easy will it be to hack. If a person finds a way to just leap to the center, what will they do? A lot will revolve around how they enforce the inevitable.

I will certainly keep an eye out for this game as it appears to be doing a lot of what Star Citizen is trying to do.

Mur_sl

shitlord
Looks promising, I am all about exploration and cataloging. Shit I soloed my last 3 characters in EQ2 to 100 just because I am sick of all the fucking retards playing MMO's nowadays. Might be nice to almost never see anyone.

Column_sl

shitlord
It seems like every survival game out there right now, boring.

Not sure the appeal, but can't hate on the people that want to play these games.

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Collect a huge database of all sorts of cutesy (and scary!) creatures across the universe sounds like a winner to me. And you even get to name them! It's got the colors and brightness too. Lots of women and kids will play this. I am sure there will develop hubs in the universe that become popular where players go to trade locs of the planets they have mapped.

As I understand it, once a planet has been located by a player, it sortoff becomes persistant, in that others can now visit it if they know the loc, right? And that when you are the first to discover that planet and have named the creatures there, that any player that comes after that will see these new names and thus your "fingerprint" on that particular planet?

I think that could be kinda cool.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I can't wait to put the naming filter to the test.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I am not sure how I feel about this game.

In some ways I find it simply amazing, the concept, the scope, the tech, etc...

In an other way, it looks like to be one of the most boring game I've seen.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I think it's all about the carrot. If they make upgrading to new ships and guns worthwhile and if there is some cool incentive for working your way to the center, I can see it being fun for a while. Even so, the concept itself is very cool and could lead to more involved games using the same huge procedural universe tech.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
It seems like every survival game out there right now, boring.

Not sure the appeal, but can't hate on the people that want to play these games.
How cool and fun is that after the 10th planet you ran around in?
I think you are both not realizing this is like Skyrim in space without quests. Open world exploration with combat and not just a 'survival' game.

This is about as open world as it gets and people are still playing Skyrim when there can't possibly be any rock they haven't overturned already.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
My concern is that, with it being procedurally generated on such a massive scale, that eventually you'll start seeing the same old shit over and over again with just slight differences.

I LOVE open world games and have been dying for an awesome space exploration simulator (hell, I spent days playing with SpaceEngine), but I fear this game will get boring very quick.

Hope I'm wrong!

Khane

Got something right about marriage
How cool and fun is that after the 10th planet you ran around in?
You can objectively say that about any kind of gameplay in any kind of game. I've never played a game that isn't repetitive.

I used to run the same mob on the same small map (Pindleskin) over and over and over in D2. This game at least has different kinds of worlds to explore.

The concept seems really interesting. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be another spore. In that video he talked a good game but didn't really show how deep the gameplay is.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
You can objectively say that about any kind of gameplay in any kind of game. I've never played a game that isn't repetitive.

I used to run the same mob on the same small map (Pindleskin) over and over and over in D2. This game at least has different kinds of worlds to explore.
Agreed. Anyone who raids in an MMO can't really knock any other genre. It's literally the same shit over and over, sometimes for months on end.

I don't think this will be like spore. It may be boring as shit, but I don't feel like they are really overselling the game. The devs aren't really talking crazy shit. They seem to be showing everything they are saying the game can do, so far. It's just a matter of whether or not those things will be fun for any extended period of time. I'm hopeful and will definitely buy in to check it out.