No Man's Sky

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Have they said what the actual point of this game is? Like.....whats the objective.
Yeah I found a fairly large post that describe all the gameplay elements and the goals of the game on NeoGAF, it's actually very much like any normal game, just in a stupid large world. You progress by killing shit/trading/exploring/mining, getting money and new gear/ship upgrades to get into more difficult areas. The closer you get to the center of the galaxy, the harder the game gets, until you get to the center and "finish" the game, at least the storyline that's embedded in it. After that you can still explore shit.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The 'get to the center of the galaxy' part makes it reallly start to sound like Spore.

DMK_sl

shitlord
This game will be a huge let down. It will be a huge universe with fuck all to do but fly around. There is no way a team of 10(?) can create meaningful content over such a huge expanse. Anything procedurally generated will run into the same problems most games with that system is used.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
This game will be a huge let down. It will be a huge universe with fuck all to do but fly around. There is no way a team of 10(?) can create meaningful content over such a huge expanse. Anything procedurally generated will run into the same problems most games with that system is used.
Not true. Pgc is limited only by the complexity of the procedures used to generate said content. In a way, our planet and universe is itself "content" generated by extremely complex procedures. I have no idea if these bozos have anything of real substance to offer here but eventually someone will do it.

Pgc is 100% the future of gaming. A massive procedurally generated VR universe is something that will eventually happen and hopefully in my life time. and I don't mean speed tree with a few buggy mountain ledges from spontaneously generated terrain thrown in. Im talking systems so complex that the line between hand crafted and poc will be blurred. Someone just has to create the right systems and the story will write itself.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
PGC will only ever serve as a baseline for human generated (whether player or dev) content.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I agree tho, wtf else am i to do but fly around and discover shit if they dont want you to be able to play with you friends? Big open world game that lets you fly around and discover shit non stop....alone.

The concept sounds cool but it doesnt sound as good as i initially thought.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
/shrug It's been described as that from the very start. The devs have said repeatedly that running into another player would be a very rare and special thing. It's not a multiplayer game, in the traditional sense of the word.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
They also in a way said that they dont want you to, they dont want you to group up with your crew and go curb stomping, so its kinda weird of a game - if it truly is nothing but exploration id just skip this all together, the concept looks awesome, so long as i can do it with a bud.

DMK_sl

shitlord
Not true. Pgc is limited only by the complexity of the procedures used to generate said content. In a way, our planet and universe is itself "content" generated by extremely complex procedures. I have no idea if these bozos have anything of real substance to offer here but eventually someone will do it.

Pgc is 100% the future of gaming. A massive procedurally generated VR universe is something that will eventually happen and hopefully in my life time. and I don't mean speed tree with a few buggy mountain ledges from spontaneously generated terrain thrown in. Im talking systems so complex that the line between hand crafted and poc will be blurred. Someone just has to create the right systems and the story will write itself.
Zzzzz. You know exactly the context I was speaking in. Not some future 50 years down the track.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
If they let you get in deep with exploiting resources and trading in a complex economy, then PGC could have a lot of value. But it seems like you'd want basically a whole other game layered in with this exploration and exploitation concept to provide a market for all of it.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Game sounds wonderful - but all their focus "sounds" like its going into making a Universe. Not once have I really seen anything about a story, or anything. They dont want you to run into other players? Okay, so whats the point of having it be so massive? Im all for games jumping off the theme park rails, but this game doesnt sound like itll last past maybe a handful of hours for the average person with its current description. It also sounds like theyre trying to stretch out its life by not giving the player the information needed to make trade skill items. Im impressed by the PGC but past that, it kinda falls flat for me.

A little bit of forethought and I wouldnt put it past this company to sell their engine to another game studio to make a real game. (Which is what I would do with the size of this team and its funds)

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
This is going to be pretty cool, friend showed me this this weekend. I instantly thought of starflight which came out in 1986 and fit on two 360k floppy disks. It did the exact same thing (procedural generation) to create 900 unique planets across a universe that you could land on and spend hours exploring each one mining minerals and such.

This looks much like that, but on a grand scale. I have a massive boner just thinking about it.

Starflight detail..Lets Play Starflight 01: To boldly go... - YouTube

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I cant wait to do an exploration game with my friends.

Oh wait
frown.png

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
/dream on
If this takes off, millions playing it, people slowly finding others and banding together, groups growing and growing until every few months/years two big empires bump into eachother and start fighting or trading or shit like that.
/dream off
It's probably gonna suck.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Gameplay footage. I would hear about this game every so often and it sounded nice. After watching this I am in full hype mode. From this video it feels quite close to done, probably just squashing bugs at this point.