No Man's Sky

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
They had better give all this content for free. Considering all this was said to be in the main game.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
So does that mean they have changed the way planets respawn?

From what I remember (never played it that much, and might have changed since launch) the way the planets worked in the game was that the seed of it spawned as you entered the atmosphere. You could then run around and do whatever, and it saved the state of the planet around you (digging holes and the likes) as long as you remained there. However, when you left the planet, it reset. The last part there is why I never understood the point of the "we have added base building" aspect, as the goal of the game was to explore like a nomad, ever moving closer towards the centre of the galaxy. Once you left a planet, there was no point in ever going back as it reset, so taking the time to build anything was fairly pointless and time wasting compared to the goal of the game.

Adding the ability to create a portal to a planet you build on and marked as a "main base", travelling back to it from new planets, would make it so there is actually a point to setting up a base station for storage and the likes. However, that would also require the game to save the state of the planets you encounter, which I am fairly sure it didn't before.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
So does that mean they have changed the way planets respawn?

From what I remember (never played it that much, and might have changed since launch) the way the planets worked in the game was that the seed of it spawned as you entered the atmosphere. You could then run around and do whatever, and it saved the state of the planet around you (digging holes and the likes) as long as you remained there. However, when you left the planet, it reset. The last part there is why I never understood the point of the "we have added base building" aspect, as the goal of the game was to explore like a nomad, ever moving closer towards the centre of the galaxy. Once you left a planet, there was no point in ever going back as it reset, so taking the time to build anything was fairly pointless and time wasting compared to the goal of the game.

Adding the ability to create a portal to a planet you build on and marked as a "main base", travelling back to it from new planets, would make it so there is actually a point to setting up a base station for storage and the likes. However, that would also require the game to save the state of the planets you encounter, which I am fairly sure it didn't before.

I haven't played in like a year, but I'm pretty sure the game saved everything.. or almost everything. Names were saved at least :D Terrain maybe reset but idk.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Building bases has been in the game for a while now, it saves that chunk of your base while still resetting the rest of the planet, yes

norp

Bronze Squire
So is this a game now, or are people just happy it went from a huge pile of shit to a huge pile of vomit?

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's honestly not a bad game, it just isn't what it was promoted as.

If you like gathering somewhat limited materials, and progressing based upon said gathering, where progression is largely being able to gather more unique materials? Yeah, you'll have fun. But if you are expecting a multiplayer romp where you are visiting static worlds discovered and named by other players, and interacting with them in meaningful ways? This cart has a long way to go towards the second option.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I'm glad I haven't purchased this yet. I'm pretty confident that after another couple of updates and during a sale it'll be worth putting a few hours into.

Gorehack

Lord Nagafen Raider
I played 41 hours when the game first came out, but haven't touched it until this update.

Some things have changed for the better, that's for sure. However, the core aspect of "Mine, mine, mine, mine, mine some more, mine until you're blue in the face, mine with one hand jerk off with the other" is still there.

I restarted my game then ran into a bug after a few hours where your base building quests get all fucked up. Got pissed off because it auto deletes your old save files when you start a new game (seriously?) and tried permadeath.

Permadeath was super fun until about 4 hours in when the game just throws MASSIVE amounts of pirate ships at you. Sure, it's fun at first, but after being scanned 3 different times on the way to 1 planet I got annoyed. (Also dead, and in this mode when you die it auto deletes your save file...which I knew, so there was no actual rage...just kind of a sigh)

So now I'm 3 hours into a survival game and it's better. Gonna wait to do the pathfinder base building shit because bugs.

They added in some more story shit that's pretty interesting, but it's also buggy (you have to craft an item later on but if you go too many systems away the quest place vanishes).

All in all I'd say it's worth the $20 you can get it for on humble right now. But don't expect a AAA game. It's a mining simulator.

Also mods...you want mods. Reduce launch cost, get rid of the instagram filter, shit like that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
I took the plunge. So far, this is a very good game. Im enjoying it. No idea what it was like at launch, as I didnt pre-order and based on the feedback passed, but its a pretty solid title so far...as long as you KNOW what the game is. Space exploration with some mining and crafting and a storyline.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Did they ever remove the stupid flight floor? That rustled me almost as much as the shit they didn't deliver on at launch.

I'm debating reinstalling this as I'd rather not have wasted $50 on it, but the other side of me says to stay salty about it and never play it again.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Did they ever remove the stupid flight floor? That rustled me almost as much as the shit they didn't deliver on at launch.

I'm debating reinstalling this as I'd rather not have wasted $50 on it, but the other side of me says to stay salty about it and never play it again.

If you watch the streams, nearly everyone is universally saying this is a far better game than what existed at launch, and more or less lines up with what the initial promise was in the beginning.

Lenas

Trump's Staff

You can crash into the ground now afaik but I haven't done it intentionally to test.

Put on my VR headset and zoned out playing this for a while the other day. Pretty enjoyable.

Gorehack

Lord Nagafen Raider

It tries to kind of keep you above the ground a little bit, but it's totally possible to just run into shit now.

Gorehack

Lord Nagafen Raider
Welp, ran into a bug where the anomaly teleported inside of an atlas station. RIP new questline and one of the main reasons I was trying to play through it again.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
There are still some bugs, but I have managed to work around them and only happen a handful of times within the 30 hours I've put in.

1 - After saving the game, logged back in later and was under the world. Corrupt save, but I save frequently as I find outposts, bases, and beacons so wasn't a terrible issue
2 - Exiting the ship sometimes ejects you very far and hurt you..and in some cases, a very long distance in the air.

That said, this is a great game so far. The thrill of finding a damaged Exotic and fixing it up to take as your own, or getting a Alien to upgade or swap your multitool for something bad ass is pretty awesome.

I also love the planet and fauna variety, really adds to the sense of discovery.